HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 10:02 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Massive Cyclist Casualty on Sherwood Park Freeway

https://globalnews.ca/news/4382768/f...-park-freeway/

But but but... I thought they aren’t allowed on controlled-access freeways???

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 4:38 AM

Alberta doesn't have controlled access freeways.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 4:49 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Alberta doesn't have controlled access freeways.
The ring roads in both cities though, are they not?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 4:57 AM

Nope, they may look like 'controlled access', but they are really just bigger roads, according to the laws. There is nothing inherently different about them than other than they are bigger and more complex. But the same vehicles are allowed on them and the same laws apply as any other roads. So those cyclists were breaking no laws, though they are clearly idiots and sadists.

I'm not sure if anywhere in Canada truly has proper freeways like other countries do (though they may have all the appearances of them), maybe Ontario and Quebec. But 'controlled access' means that the road is a different class of roads to other roads with different rules and standards. They can be called freeways, but other countries have their own names - motorways, autobahns, autoroutes etc.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Nope, they may look like 'controlled access', but they are really just bigger roads, according to the laws. There is nothing inherently different about them than other than they are bigger and more complex. But the same vehicles are allowed on them and the same laws apply as any other roads. So those cyclists were breaking no laws, though they are clearly idiots and sadists.

I'm not sure if anywhere in Canada truly has proper freeways like other countries do (though they may have all the appearances of them), maybe Ontario and Quebec. But 'controlled access' means that the road is a different class of roads to other roads with different rules and standards. They can be called freeways, but other countries have their own names - motorways, autobahns, autoroutes etc.
It is illegal to ride a bicycle on Quebec's Autoroutes.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 12:41 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
It is illegal to ride a bicycle on Quebec's Autoroutes.
Same in Ontario and in the states

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 2:39 PM

Cyclists can ride on any highway in Alberta, as can any vehicle for that matter. Any vehicle you like, any speed, any lane, doesn't matter, the laws for a single lane rural road are the same as a 10 lane freeway. The exception being that a few roads have city bylaws, such as Deerfoot which bans cyclists.

201 and 216 are the only roads in Alberta that were built from the ground up to be 'freeways' so they are well built and have all the features of a modern freeway (though I think Stoney had lights on it still 6 years ago). But they are not really referred to as such by the government and have no special status. And all of the rest of our major routes were upgraded piecemeal from smaller roads and all have varying degrees of imperfection where they stray from the 'freeway' standard. Highway 2 between Calgary and Edmonton, for example, is mostly good but still has some at grade crossings meaning it cannot be described as a freeway.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 7:50 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Is this a full opening? Last time I was through in the summer they seemed to have a long ways to go yet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...deer-1.4911857

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:57 PM

^ FULL OPEN! Gaetz Ave bridge was the last major milestone. Opened yesterday. So it's all open to traffic but full completion is next spring.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:42 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Is this a full opening? Last time I was through in the summer they seemed to have a long ways to go yet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...deer-1.4911857
I went through around thanksgiving and they looked to be getting real close.

I'm really happy this is done. It was a much needed upgrade.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 9:01 PM

Here is my video tour of the new interchange.

VOLUME WARNING. Sorry for the shaky camera. The bass from my music was blasting.
YouTube link here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH0SSqUxSNo&t=26s
Are going insane.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 12:29 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Just out of curiosity, is there long-term plan to twin Highway 63 all the way to Edmonton via Highway 28?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 4:53 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

According to the Gov. of Alberta website twinning is complete between Ft. Mac. & Grassland (240 kms). Work is slated to begin on twinning highway 15 to the intersection of highway 28A. Not sure how many more kms of twinning that leaves to be completed but it looks substantial.
I'm sure the plan is to eventually twin the entire length but I don't know what the timeline would be.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 10:52 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
IIRC there is still no formal plan (but there is a desire). The issue is how best to bring the highway into Edmonton. If they follow 28 it is a more direct route to the population centre but is not good for commercial traffic which tends to come out of the east side of Edmonton. If they come in more to the east 9better for commercial traffic) then it is not as direct for passenger vehicles.

Maybe they have sorted that out, but I have not heard.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 11:45 PM

I've never been up that way so don't haven't seen the conditions first hand, but what is the traffic like between Edmonton and Highway 63? It seems ludicrous to me that the highway from where everything comes from to where everything goes isn't twinned all the way. Is there not a ton of heavy equipment and wide loads like on Highway 43?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:37 AM

They finished the twinning of 63 just in time for it not to be used. Compared to how it used to be, there's next to nothing for traffic on it.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 9:46 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

From a WestJet Q400 en route to Edmonton shortly after takeoff yesterday morning, I've noticed that work has begun on the Highway 43X bypass around the north side of Grande Prairie. At least the digging out the path is. Wait til spring and then the real work will begin on the paving.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 8:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Highway 3X Route Selected

http://passherald.ca/archives/181205/index2.htm

When the twinning of Crowsnest Highway reaches Medicine Hat, will the work on TCH Medicine Hat Bypass happen at the same time?

Also are 22X and 901 supposed to be the new TCH Scrathmore Bypass? 901 looks pretty built up within Gleichen.

Edit:
I found this for Medicine Hat - http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...bypass%201.pdf. It's nice to see the 2 freeways bypass all that jazz.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...esentation.pdf

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Dec 20, 2018 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:52 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Thanks for posting all that info Dengler - love this stuff !
The Med Hat bypass reminds me of the Regina bypass. Quite the interchange at highways 1 & 3.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:56 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Thanks for posting all that info Dengler - love this stuff !
The Med Hat bypass reminds me of the Regina bypass. Quite the interchange at highways 1 & 3.
Yea that thing looks massive. 2 & 3 and 3 & 4 are probably gonna be the other 2 massive interchanges outside of Calgary and Edmonton.

Also what about TCH @ 100 Street SE? I was quite surprised to find out that it’s a traffic-light intersection, right outside of Calgary. (It reminds me of TCH @ 207 right outside of Winnipeg too.) The last link also mentioned completely grade-separating TCH, but since there was nothing about that intersection, I didn’t wanna assume...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia