HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
great west metal building is so out of place on waterfront and needs to be torn down or have exterior remodelling done immediately.

that hideous green piece of s building is ruining an otherwise amazing street.
I could not agree more, and as Esquire noted, I think we will see this site on the market in the not too distant future. Save the main building, demo everything else, add to it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:35 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycles View Post

From alstonproperties.com

30 units in the first new build, 70 on the second. First building completion is spring 2019, second is spring 2020
I'm really liking the fire escape/balcony/walkway treatment - awesome. My only criticism would be the height of the stilted portion. I know it might get to high but I would like it if it cleared the roofline of the old pumphouse building. It could just be perspective but I find it just a tad awkward.

Otherwise I love it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 7:25 PM
the first stamp is free

The more I look at it, the less I like that "fire escape" platform. It seems to be pointless complication - unless they really can't fit an interior stairwell in there.

It will do wonders to encourage people to only use the elevator though, and hope like hell the elevators don't break down in the middle of winter.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 7:48 PM
What could go wrong?

So what you are saying is that you don't like what I like....well thank...you...very....much.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Adds to the human scale.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:32 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
So what you are saying is that you don't like what I like....well thank...you...very....much.
It's not you, its me.

Beyond it's questionable purpose - I look at that staircase/walkway hanging off the side and see cantilevers. Us structural guys don't like cantilevers.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:37 PM

I like the staircase/walkway because it adds something to an otherwise plain wall. Overall I like the design, but I will be interested to see what happens with those plain walls.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 10:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

waterfront sure keeps getting different styles along it

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:06 AM
BANNED

I can see it now. Covered in stucco

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:12 AM
Heart of the Continent

I don't really care what it's covered in. It's bringing new people downtown. Besides that, we don't know what it's going to be covered in. The constant negativity gets more annoying by the day.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:24 AM

Reminds me of their WRHA building on Hargrave, which is one of my favourite in the city. I think that staggered window treatment will be incredible once built. Also really like that you can see the south side of the Pumphouse still. Curious to see the plan for the platform... I know they were hoping for a restaurant in that building... that would make an amazing patio!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I don't really care what it's covered in. It's bringing new people downtown. Besides that, we don't know what it's going to be covered in. The constant negativity gets more annoying by the day.
Couldn't agree more. The buildings going up in the Exchange and in Osborne Village are filling up empty lots, bringing additional density, creating the type of built form that we beg for... and yet, some will still not be satisfied, because a minor aesthetic detail is not up to their tastes. Unfortunate, but typical.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
That 90s attitude needs to go away: just do whatever you want, forget design standards. Hell, put a McDonald's with a huge surface lot and drive through on the empty lot opposite the convention centre; why not?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
That 90s attitude needs to go away: just do whatever you want, forget design standards. Hell, put a McDonald's with a huge surface lot and drive through on the empty lot opposite the convention centre; why not?

There was a time when a single storey fast food outlet with attached parking lot was welcome downtown...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I don't think that's actually what people here are saying. And, I think the attitude of desperation at city hall is shifting. Look at the Earl's on Main situation. The city actually said no to another suburban style development downtown. But yeah, that old Pizza Hut downtown is a good reminder of how far we've come along since those days...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:54 PM

I actually am LOVING how diverse the designs are in The Exchange, especially on Waterfront. That's what makes it interesting and attractive. I think the argument is not for what type/design the buildings are, just that they're of quality finish and design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I don't think that's actually what people here are saying. And, I think the attitude of desperation at city hall is shifting. Look at the Earl's on Main situation. The city actually said no to another suburban style development downtown. But yeah, that old Pizza Hut downtown is a good reminder of how far we've come along since those days...
Although it's like the only sign of life on that stretch of Donald ...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:55 PM
BANNED

Lol

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:08 PM

The Pizza Place at Donald and York burned down and they rebuilt it. The ugly apartment next door is a downer but maybe you could build a nice 4-6 story structure there.

Maybe a parkade. /S

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:26 PM

I like this project and how its keeping the Pump-house around but that design, is not to my liking.

For instance, why does the outer staircase only go half way up? Also the stilts, I think, are there so you can see the pump-house from waterfront, but then its partially blocked by that walkway.

Its definitely better than nothing but if I were to live there I would much rather have a balcony.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:40 PM
the first stamp is free

Isn't it a good thing that we are at a stage that we have the luxury of petty squabbling about a building design...?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan