HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 5:57 PM

Reddit is OK but the inability to post photos inline is a real shortcoming. Especially for a forum such as this where pictures and renderings are a big part of the discussion.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 9:20 PM

Wondering if any of you guys have any insight on the rough cost per foot of a basic 6ft fence with 6x6 posts. Quotes I’ve gotten are in the $35 range but then my neighbour found some guy who will do it under the table for like $20 a ft. That seems low to me. Is that reasonable for some guy doing it under the table?

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Wondering if any of you guys have any insight on the rough cost per foot of a basic 6ft fence with 6x6 posts. Quotes I’ve gotten are in the $35 range but then my neighbour found some guy who will do it under the table for like $20 a ft. That seems low to me. Is that reasonable for some guy doing it under the table?
I priced out my fence materials (Rona's web prices) using green pressure treated lumber and 4x4 posts and it came to about $20/foot after delivery and taxes. This is for a 6' fence with three 2x6 rails, a 2x6 cap, and 1x6 pickets with no gap.

That doesn't include post digging/setting, screws/fastners, gate hardware, removal/disposal of old fence, or any labour.

So yeah, $20/ft seems a little too good to be true.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 9:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Possibly. But a surprising number of people in ND/MN don't have passports... tourism from the US reportedly took quite a hit after those rules were imposed and from what I understand, still hasn't recovered fully. So there's that to contend with. Then there is also competing with the appeal of Lambeau as a shrine/destination for Packers diehards.

I mean, I'm not saying that no one will come up to watch the game but I'm sure it will be a relatively small portion of the crowd. Maybe a couple hundred people from around the Grand Forks/Thief River Falls area close to the border who are a lot closer to Winnipeg than to Green Bay and who stand a stronger chance of having a passport. I know I could be wrong, but I don't expect a highly priced preseason game across an international border to be a big draw for Americans.
Putting this here as it would be off topic in the other thread.

Why is it that Canadians are required to have passports entering the US when they arrive by any mode of transport, but Americans are not required to have Passports entering Canada if they arrive by ground transport?

This was the case origionally when the passport requirements first took place. Does anyone know if it is still the case today?

Last edited by Pinus; Jun 5, 2019 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Putting this here as it would be off topic in the other thread.

Whybis it that Canadians are requires to have passports entering the US when they arrive by any mode of transport, but Americans are not required to have Passports entering Canada if they arrive by ground transport?

This was the case origionally when the passport requirements first took place. Does anyone know if it is still the case today?
I believe the answer is that most Americans don't have passports.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 11:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
I believe the answer is that most Americans don't have passports.
Understood, however I don't really see that as a valid reason to allow them to enter the country without such documentation. We should not be catering to them simply because the majority is to lazy to get/can't afford to get/not interested in getting/whatever a passport. From my understanding, we do not make this exception for other nations. It should be manditory for Americans as well.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 1:48 AM

Quote:

Understood, however I don't really see that as a valid reason to allow them to enter the country without such documentation. We should not be catering to them simply because the majority is to lazy to get/can't afford to get/not interested in getting/whatever a passport. From my understanding, we do not make this exception for other nations. It should be manditory for Americans as well.
Couldn't agree more. Should be same rules, no matter which country.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Couldn't agree more. Should be same rules, no matter which country.
Pretty sure no country on the planet has the same rules for entry regardless of your country.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 1:47 PM

Americans are scared of terrorists. Because they've been attacked like one time by people from other countries.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Americans are scared of terrorists. Because they've been attacked like one time by people from other countries.
Someones never heard of Pearl Harbour.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 2:33 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Someones never heard of Pearl Harbour.
Lol among others
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 2:51 PM

Those people entered the country in secret before attacking civilians? No, Pearl Harbour was a military operation. I guess my post was not clear.

Pretty much every terrorist attack within the US is by people either born there or have lived there for some time. Not people crossing with phony documents from Canada.

The changes to entry happened after 9/11.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 3:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:

And yet living in the US for a number of years mostly after illegally over staying and then entering Canada without documentation through non official border crossings and claiming asylum or refugee status is somehow okay?!?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 4:14 PM

Last weekend there were 52 shootings including at least 10 dead in Chicago, calling it the. bloodiest weekend ever. They got bigger problems than outsiders.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 5:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Last weekend there were 52 shootings including at least 10 dead in Chicago, calling it the. bloodiest weekend ever. They got bigger problems than outsiders.
How so? Chicago has ten times Winnipeg's population so on a percentage basis we're right on par.

Winnipeg 800K 22 murders

Chicago 9.4M 206 murders

PS missed the outsiders part of your post

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 8:52 PM

Chicago’s murder rate is the city of Chicago not including the suburbs. Metro Chicago almost had 800 2 years ago !!!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 9:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Chicago’s murder rate is the city of Chicago not including the suburbs. Metro Chicago almost had 800 2 years ago !!!
Well you could say the same thing about Winnipeg, murders here aren't occuring in North Kildonan, Charleswood or Fort Garry...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 9:10 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Yeah it’s kinda disappointing

Though I still like to visit it, at least for the architecture

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
How so? Chicago has ten times Winnipeg's population so on a percentage basis we're right on par.

Winnipeg 800K 22 murders

Chicago 9.4M 206 murders

PS missed the outsiders part of your post
And we STILL are not murder cap of canada. Portage La Puke is almost at the top of that list.
The other thing at least for us its generally one ethnic group. Its not like we have mass shootings of anyone. Ours are mostly gang related and people that the reserves kick off and end up here. Thannks Sakaneee for the new meth heads they sent us. Instead of helping their people.
Winnipegs general upswing from your typical murders back in the day are now swung around to alot of and i hate to say it, our aboriginal population thats keeps growing here.

Just do the numbers by ethenticity.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 10:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
And we STILL are not murder cap of canada. Portage La Puke is almost at the top of that list.
The other thing at least for us its generally one ethnic group. Its not like we have mass shootings of anyone. Ours are mostly gang related and people that the reserves kick off and end up here. Thannks Sakaneee for the new meth heads they sent us. Instead of helping their people.
Winnipegs general upswing from your typical murders back in the day are now swung around to alot of and i hate to say it, our aboriginal population thats keeps growing here.

Just do the numbers by ethenticity.
Yes, it generally is aboriginals that create the high murder and crime trends here, as it is in Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton and almost all of Western Canada, Northern Ontario and Northern Canada. Not sure why people are so afraid to state the facts that the PC police simply can't dispute.

Last edited by Pinus; Jun 9, 2019 at 10:21 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan