Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 8:52 PM

Clouds+John Hancock=

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 1:16 AM

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 11:18 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Awesome devil-in-the-details shot of the cross-braces and skin.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 3:32 AM

Hello, new member here. Quick question, does anyone know what is going on with the West antenna? I was downtown yesterday and I couldn't help but notice the fiberglass cladding around the top portion of it has been removed (looks rather bare without it). Does anyone know the reason for this? I remember about 11-12 years ago when they replaced the East antenna, and I know that the West antenna is essentially the last remaining completely original antenna (at least between the JHC and the Sears Tower), so I don't know if they are planning to update this one as well now.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:02 AM

I don't know for sure about Big John, but on Willis recently they took down and upgraded one of the antennas, so I imagine similar is being undertaken here too.

I'm sure some forumer more knowledgable on the matter can give more detailed information.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 11:13 PM

Air and Water Show Weekend in Chicago

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 7:38 PM

My favorite details are of the cor-ten steel plates dripping rust on the windows. Even Louis the fifteenth would have liked that.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Air and Water Show Weekend in Chicago
Wow! It's gorgeous! I can see moon. It's so beautiful.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 1:55 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
My favorite details are of the cor-ten steel plates dripping rust on the windows. Even Louis the fifteenth would have liked that.
JHC is clad with black anodized aluminum panels. There is no cor-ten on the building.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 4:16 PM

Ok, I stumbled onto this on YouTube. From the description, it seems they are removing the top portion of the West Antenna. Not too sure what the plans are to replace it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Rq...e_gdata_player

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 8:09 PM

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 8:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ Holy vertigo, Batman!

i also like how the dude below him has a smoke dangling from his lips the whole time. i would have thought that would be a no-no on a job like that.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 2:00 AM

The height looks like a view you would see out of a Burj Khalifa window, and the roof looked a long way down.

Although for the workers sake I hoped they made sure in advance that there would be no thunder and lightning.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 3:02 PM
Ex Houstonian

Its crazy that this building is almost 50 years old. It will always be one of my favorites. While growing up in Batavia we used to go downtown and I remember standing in aww of this building when I was in maybe 1st grade.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 8:47 PM

Question about the work on the Masts.

It has bin a year but r they taller, shorter or the same height?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete8680 View Post
It has bin a year but r they taller, shorter or the same height?
The West Antenna Mast is noticeably shorter right now. I'd say nearly a third of it has been removed. Supposedly, the plan is to replace it with a newer antenna, but I have not had any luck in finding out exactly what is going on. You'll also notice the aircraft warning lights on the West Antenna are currently placed only partway up to the top (the very tip I think is where construction is ongoing).

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:11 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...S/Default.aspx

Chicago’s Iconic John Hancock Center Shopping Naming Rights to Fund Plaza Redevelopment
Chicago, United States – 23 May 2016

Quote:
The owner of Chicago's John Hancock Center is looking to put someone else's John Hancock – in bold letters – on the front of the building.

Chicago-based Hearn, which bought the Hancock's office space and parking deck in 2013, is shopping the naming rights for the 47-year-old skyscraper to pay for a proposed $10 million plaza redevelopment. The deal could include a sign adorning the façade of the 100-story, X-braced tower – and a challenge for Chicagoans to relearn the name of yet another iconic structure.

A presentation on May 18 by Hearn executives to The Magnificent Mile Association – a non-profit group promoting businesses along North Michigan Avenue – included a rendering that showed where a sponsor's name could appear in three-foot-high (one-meter) letters near the third floor, facing Michigan Avenue. "I can't put anything on the top of the building, so the crown will never change," said Hearn President Stephen Hearn.

Any sign on the Hancock would be subject to special Michigan Avenue sign restrictions and related city regulations. The ordinance prohibits roof signs and allows for less total signage than in other parts of downtown. The Hancock sign would not be affected by restrictions imposed on parcels adjacent to the river in the wake of the controversial "Trump" sign added to the Trump International Hotel & Tower in 2014 – five years after its completion.

Hearn said linking naming rights to redevelopment of the plaza is essential to getting the project off the ground. "This is not going to be Jiffy Lube Tower," Hearn said. "I'm looking for a prominent household name, Fortune 500, that would be interested in doing this as a part of a program. It's similar to the names that you see on athletic venues…It's going to be a 15-year commitment. I don't want somebody to just write me a check and do this for two years and then bail.”

In 2015, Hearn proposed a $10 million redevelopment of Hancock's sunken plaza with such elements as a cluster of triangular columns, a large video wall, and other attractions to draw visitors.

Developed by the John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Company and designed by the Chicago office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, the tapered tower was billed as a revolutionary mixed-use skyscraper, with stores, parking, and offices in the lower portion of the tower and residences on top.

When it was completed in 1969, the John Hancock Center was the tallest building in Chicago. It was soon surpassed in height by the Standard Oil Building (now Aon Center) and Sears (now Willis) Tower and more recently by Trump Tower. But "Big John" remains an iconic symbol of the city's modern, muscular architecture.

Ward Miller, Executive Director of Preservation Chicago, a non-profit working to get the Hancock building designated a Chicago landmark, said changes to its plaza, the building's façade, and even its name could hurt its legacy. "The John Hancock Building's name and design and presence is so much a part of Chicago, especially in relationship to its superstructures," Miller said. "Between Sears Tower and the Hancock building, there's a great legacy of Chicago's great architecture of the modern movement of the 20th century. They are seminal buildings that should be preserved…New York wouldn't allow the Empire State Building to be renamed."

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:18 PM

Fuck these name changes, I refuse to call the Sears tower by any other name and I sure as hell ain't calling the JHC anything different either.

Does Chicago have no pride? Anything is open to the highest bidder?

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Does Chicago have no pride? Anything is open to the highest bidder?
uhhhh, chicago has nothing to do with it.

it sounds like you are unfamiliar with the concept of private property.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

it sounds like you are unfamiliar with the concept of private property.
You usually annoy me, but this is pretty funny

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture