HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Wow! That flag really is huge. That one flagpole I mentioned in Seattle flies a 20x30 foot flag on a 90 foot pole, so that should give you some idea of how big this one is.

Knowing the height of that flag is around 504 feet should make it easier judging the heights of any new buildings, plus the existing ones. It's easily higher than the roofs of Grand Hyatt and Marriott Rivercenter, but I'm not sure it's higher than the roof/box of the Weston Centre. Of course, in that shot Weston Centre is closer to the camera, but I've always thought it looked taller than any other building on the skyline, minus the TOA.
the weston and tower life are the same distance from the utsa vantage point (.71 miles)..so a linear height comparison should work...and.........

1) the weston is taller than 444'
or
2) tower life is shorter than 404'

the elevation difference between the two is weston +7-10'

Last edited by ydoc14; Nov 22, 2010 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 11:32 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
the weston and tower life are the same distance from the utsa vantage point (.71 miles)..so a linear height comparison should work...and.........

1) the weston is taller than 444'
or

the elevation difference between the two is weston +7-10'

They are not the same distance at the angle that the camera is pointing in. This method would only work if you had a panoramic photograph whose center was exactly halfway between the two buildings rotating at a specific angle to create a picture where the distance was equal to the two buildings from the vantage of the photographer. Also, for this to be accurate, you would need to increase the height of the photographer's perch.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 2:13 AM
Meh

You know, if they only flew a Texas flag up there it would be the highest flying Texas flag.

By the way, the top of the building looks so much better. The profile of the building is much nicer since it's been restored to its original appearance. Much more elegant. Having that huge antenna atop the building was a distraction from one of the state's most beautiful buildings. I'm really happy with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14
Hmm. I've heard two other heights for it. One said 390 feet, while another said 394 feet. Also, if you go to antennasearch.com, you can find some heights for it there. I'm not sure how accurate they are, though.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
They are not the same distance at the angle that the camera is pointing in. This method would only work if you had a panoramic photograph whose center was exactly halfway between the two buildings rotating at a specific angle to create a picture where the distance was equal to the two buildings from the vantage of the photographer. Also, for this to be accurate, you would need to increase the height of the photographer's perch.
i'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 5:43 PM

Ok, finally I got this resizing thing under control for the forum!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
That sounds really nice! I hope it happens.
I hope so too.
This is big.... really big. It is the first project of its kind in SA outside of DT.
Hopefully with the success of this project, other surrounding neighborhoods will be more open to this kind of development.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
i'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense

You forgot the "to me". It has to do with the camera's perspective.

The difference between .71 and .72 miles is 16 meters or 53 feet. You need a bit more accuracy for what you are trying to suggest.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 2:07 AM
Meh

^The camera would also need to be oriented so that it was an equal distance between both buildings. If it was closer to one building, it would of course be farther away from the other one, which would make the measurement inaccurate since it would distort the perspective.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 2:48 AM

So in the presentation given at The State of Downtown 2010 Luncheon, there were some interesting slides:

There was mention of the East Expansion Concept for the Convention Center; remember, this is only a concept, the Hemisfair Master Plan has not been laid out and the building is ONLY A CONCEPT.

with the prospect of users on the NW corner of this huge parcel, and the possibilities of "mixed-uses" where the Fed Courthouse is, it is easier to envision a park that will be worth the effort with plenty of eyes on it. Right now, it just feels like the back of any building.

On the housing front:

Judson Candy Factory Lofts - 84 units - 100% sold out (I think we knew that)

Alteza - 147 units - 6 sold, 6 pending, 4 in negotiations - 2 pending are penthouse units. Buyers are mixed locals and out of state; Mexico(no surprise there), NY, VA, NM.

Just the fact that units are FINALLY available for purchase and that we get some more residents in DT is a huge plus.

Of course no specific details on Vidorra - all they say is "more than 50% occupied" and that 19 have sold in last 12 months.

Vistana is 96% leased - 39 tenants are military, 42 work DT, 111 work in burbs, 74 are under 30 years of age, and 68 are ages 30-39. 111 moved in from the burbs.

730 units under construction right now.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Nov 24, 2010 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 3:11 AM
Paradise

What's weird is that that is almost exactly how I pictured the concept of the Hemisfair plan.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
You forgot the "to me". It has to do with the camera's perspective.

The difference between .71 and .72 miles is 16 meters or 53 feet. You need a bit more accuracy for what you are trying to suggest.
no it didn't make sense to me how wwmiv was describing it, but i understand what you and kevin are saying

what about bing maps bird's eye view? i used that to estimate the building heights a few years ago..can't find the thread though..don't think the archives go back that far anymore.....i'm considering doing it again now that the live local pics have the Grand Hyatt which could be used as the constant in the proportion equations (....i would hope that since it's the newest tall that the 424' height is accurate )

Last edited by ydoc14; Nov 24, 2010 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
What's weird is that that is almost exactly how I pictured the concept of the Hemisfair plan.
The best thing I like about the "concept," (and it is just that) is that it opens up Hemisfair to DT, adds more uses to that space and connects Lavaca to DT (instead of feeling hidden behind the old portion of the CC.) Right now, Hemisfair is like a cluttered back yard.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 5:11 AM
Meh

Quote:
no it didn't make sense to me how wwmiv was describing it, but i understand what you and kevin are saying

what about bing maps bird's eye view? i used that to estimate the building heights a few years ago..can't find the thread though..don't think the archives go back that far anymore.....i'm considering doing it again now that the live local pics have the Grand Hyatt which could be used as the constant in the proportion equations (....i would hope that since it's the newest tall that the 424' height is accurate )
I did find this thread that Boquillas had started, but I couldn't find your's.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...light=flagpole

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
There was mention of the East Expansion Concept for the Convention Center; remember, this is only a concept, the Hemisfair Master Plan has not been laid out and the building is ONLY A CONCEPT.
The idea of moving the convention center away from the Alamo&Market corner definately makes Hemisfair feel more accessible. I also like the idea of expanding the convention center into where it is shown.

The area next to I37 is really not good for anything except expansion. It also brings the center closer to the Tower and dome, and opens up the river to have more of a park feel (provided they leave some green on that side).

They need to have the same openess on the Durango side. That area is covered with so much asphalt, it would be nice to get rid of most of it. Good concept.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 7:29 AM

First phase of University downtown hospital district.

Video Link
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
First phase of University downtown hospital district.
I like the animation. I'm not too excited about the building.

I did notice some green space in the parking lot. I hope they plant more trees. I mean c'mon; people want to park in the shade.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 2:36 AM
Liberator.

Location: San Antonio,(born) Arlington Heights, Ill.(Chicagoland)
It seems like a minimalist and modernist architectural design. I like the linear features on the building. A hospital is suppose to look not necessarily plain, but sophisticated and artful. I do not like hospitals that look intitutionalized. This one doesn't. It seems to have been well thought out. I'm sure that the landscaping will be added later.

Go Spurs (NBA) , Go Talons (arena football) , Go Scorpions (soccer) , Go UTSA Roadrunners (college football) , Go Rampage (hockey)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 7:50 PM

Vidorra Offering Units for Rent

From the downtown blog.
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...nits-for-rent/
Quote:
About 10 of the lower-level condos at the Vidorra, 215 Center St., now are available for rent. One-bedrooms start at $1,100, while two-bedrooms start at $2,150.

“These are some of the lower floor condos which are not, maybe, as marketable for sale,” said Angela Rinehart, sales manager of the Vidorra. “They get to live here and use the amenities just like a homeowner.”

Amenities include a pool, putting green, a fitness room and parking in the adjacent garage. Storage space is available, but at an additional monthly charge.

It should be noted that the Vidorra is not going rental — these units are still available for purchase. Occupancy-wise, the Vidorra is about half full.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 8:16 PM

I think thats a good short-term move, even if it is only 10 units.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 5:55 AM
James

That's a very good idea, it especially allows for added revenue to cover costs. I guess they'll only do this until they're sold.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio