HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 3:58 AM
Regina SK

Here's one taken by the cyclone...the original YMCA, and the first indoor swimming pool in Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 4:33 AM
Closed account

thankyou what an important site to have , since tommorow is remenbrance day the city sure does have wonderful old buildings , many many more than that

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 5:13 AM

Wasnt there a thread where it showed old photos of regina?? I love looking at old pics to see where we've been and where we are now..

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 5:33 AM

ok, I found a bunch of old pictures but there was one of a crossing guard helping a young student across the road that struck me. I think the school is Lakeview school?? Sorry, I couldnt figure out a way to put the actual picture in the post. might be the 20th pic in the file.

http://www.regina.ca/Page1567.aspx

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 7:10 AM
Regina SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
ok, I found a bunch of old pictures but there was one of a crossing guard helping a young student across the road that struck me. I think the school is Lakeview school?? Sorry, I couldnt figure out a way to put the actual picture in the post. might be the 20th pic in the file.

http://www.regina.ca/Page1567.aspx
I believe that is Sacred Heart school/rectory in that picture. Located on Elphinstone just north of Dewdney.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 7:53 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

dewdny ave is named after a gay that helped shape regina who is my 4th or 5th removed uncle or something like that maried my gr gr gr gr grandmas sistor

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:06 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
dewdny ave is named after a gay that helped shape regina who is my 4th or 5th removed uncle or something like that maried my gr gr gr gr grandmas sistor
I wasn't aware of his sexual preferences before, but I guess it's a interesting piece of information to know...

In any case, yeah, he was one of the main people behind where the capital was eventually located, and it was a scandal because he chose the place where he owned a lot of land instead of going with one of the already established communities.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:26 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

not a gay a guy how the hell did i do that typo is beyound me but he never had any kids

yes that was a scandle but he never made any money on it though

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:32 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
not a gay a guy how the hell did i do that typo is beyound me but he never had any kids

yes that was a scandle but he never made any money on it though
LOL .. some of your typos make me chuckle. And how people take them is even funnier.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:34 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
LOL .. some of your typos make me chuckle. And how people take them is even funnier.
true but they drive me nuts when someone points out something thats so bad i wonder how the hell did i miss that?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:37 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
true but they drive me nuts when someone points out something thats so bad i wonder how the hell did i miss that?
I make my share share as well... sometimes you just have to laugh if your typo spells out a completely wrong word.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 9:32 AM
Hmm....

Haha, yes... sorry... When I read that post, there was no way I could pass that one up.

In any case, as far as heritage Regina goes... it still makes me sad the sheer amount of heritage buildings that were demolished to build the Cornwall. That was probably one of the richest areas of the city that was pretty much entirely steamrolled for a new downtown mall... even though at the time there already was one (The Galleria, which of course is no longer a mall... since Cornwall killed it).

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 9:44 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lol yea

anyhow pics of what was lost for this mall?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 9:24 PM
working stiff

You must provide the source link for any photo that is not yours.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 9:42 PM

here's a link of pics from the early years of Regina..

pretty cool stuff.

http://scaa.usask.ca/gallery/regina/.../downtown.html

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 12:33 AM
Regina SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
You must provide the source link for any photo that is not yours.
Seriously? What's the point?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Seriously? What's the point?
Because then you are taking credit for a photo, you potentially did not take. Copyright infringement.

What happened to the old City Hall building? Looked cool.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 1:19 AM
Regina SK

I said all photos were stolen. I have posted stolen photos on numerous forums, never had a problem. I can get the links if it is really necessary.

As for the Gingerbread house City Hall, it was torn down after sitting vacant for a couple years to build a mall. Sometime in the 60's I believe.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
I said all photos were stolen. I have posted stolen photos on numerous forums, never had a problem. I can get the links if it is really necessary.

As for the Gingerbread house City Hall, it was torn down after sitting vacant for a couple years to build a mall. Sometime in the 60's I believe.

Haha, well it's still copyright infringement. An artist wouldn't steal another artists' painting and announce that he stolen it, but still try to claim it as his own. I really don't see what the big deal is on these forums either. I guess it's just easier to source them than to have a photographer get upset (potential lawsuit?! :o ) over their images being used without their consent, or proper recognition been given.

What year was the RCMP church built? The Marr Residence is the oldest building in Saskatoon which is still on it's original site. It was built in 1884. The oldest building in Saskatoon (not on original site) is the Trounce House, built in 1883.
I hope I don't get attacked for mentioning the Marr Residence and Trounce House. I realize it's Regina heritage, I just think it's interesting for comparisons sake.

Last edited by dsim249; Nov 12, 2009 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 2:19 AM
Regina SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
Haha, well it's still copyright infringement. An artist wouldn't steal another artists' painting and announce that he stolen it, but still try to claim it as his own. I really don't see what the big deal is on these forums either. I guess it's just easier to source them than to have a photographer get upset (potential lawsuit?! :o ) over their images being used without their consent, or proper recognition been given.

What year was the RCMP church built? The Marr Residence is the oldest building in Saskatoon which is still on it's original site. It was built in 1884.
I hope I don't get attacked for mentioning the Marr Residence. I realize it's Regina heritage, I just think it's interesting for comparisons sake.

Found a few little Regina interesting facts(http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/sask/regina5.html), including what you wanted to know about the chapel.It looks like we did have you beat, for a year or two haha.

OLDEST BUILDING IN REGINA
The RCMP Chapel is Regina's oldest building. It was built in 1883 and was used as a mess hall. In 1885 it was damaged in a fire, was rebuilt and used as a chapel. Services are still held at the chapel.

OLDEST BUILDING DOWNTOWN
St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral on 12th Avenue and McIntyre is the oldest building in downtown Regina. It was built in 1894 and is still in use.

FIRST MOVIE THEATRE
The first movie theater in Regina was a tent! In 1906 Barney Groves set up a black tent at Broad Street and 10th Avenue.

FIRST SKYSCRAPER
In 1912-1913 the McCallum-Hill Building was built. It was the tallest building in the city (ten-storeys). The building was located downtown on Scarth Street and contained offices. On October 31, 1982 the building was demolished (in six seconds) and the twin towers were built (McCallum-Hill Towers).

Source: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=116846&page=3 VIA Sask82.

A FOUNTAIN FROM ENGLAND
The Trafalgar fountain which is east of the Legislative Building came from London, England. It is made of red granite from Scotland and is set in a pool. The fountain once stood in Trafalgar Square in London from 1848 to 1939.

Source: http://reginadailyphotoblog.blogspot...1_archive.html

A NICKEL FOR A RIDE
In 1911 Regina had 4 streetcars and 10 miles of track. It cost five cents per trip. Two years later there were more tracks, 34 streetcars and 150 people working for the Regina Municipal Railway.

It's too bad they tore down that Mcallum-Hill tower!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan