HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

View Poll Results: Do you think its a good idea?
YES 17 53.13%
NO 15 46.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 9:50 PM

What is great about these toll roads is San Antonio has managed to skip right over HOV lanes and other common sense options. Its B.S. to take away free lanes and replace them with tolled lanes. There should be a combination if anything and I do not mean free access roads. Tolling I35 is also the most ignorant thing I have heard of. It will cut off the main artery into the city. Do you see this happening in Dallas, Houston, or Austin?
Here in Houston, they are doing a much better job with the Katy Freeway.

This is just a money grab from our leaders in Austin.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 10:39 PM

oh no heaven forbid there are a few misspelled words in a post! the freaken world is going to end!
come on if that is the best you can do to say that i am wrong just because i misspelled something? come one prove me wrong. prove that people being forced to pay a second time for roads that should be free is better? Prove to me that these toll roads are safer? prove to me that these roads will not make the rich richer and the poor poorer

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
What is great about these toll roads is San Antonio has managed to skip right over HOV lanes and other common sense options. Its B.S. to take away free lanes and replace them with tolled lanes. There should be a combination if anything and I do not mean free access roads. Tolling I35 is also the most ignorant thing I have heard of. It will cut off the main artery into the city. Do you see this happening in Dallas, Houston, or Austin?
Here in Houston, they are doing a much better job with the Katy Freeway.

This is just a money grab from our leaders in Austin.

yeah the stupid money hungry liberals in austin are wanting to toll IH-35 in austin as well. its not enough that we have to pay taxes on the roads but we also have to pay to get on the roads our taxes pay for

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 10:42 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalgeNyus View Post
oh no heaven forbid there are a few misspelled words in a post! the freaken world is going to end!
come on if that is the best you can do to say that i am wrong just because i misspelled something? come one prove me wrong. prove that people being forced to pay a second time for roads that should be free is better? Prove to me that these toll roads are safer? prove to me that these roads will not make the rich richer and the poor poorer
Actually, you're wrong for many other reasons. Your inability to express yourself articulately is merely making it worse.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 10:44 PM

did not know this was English class were we had some grumpy person with no better time on his hands grading it.! i thought this was a forum.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 10:44 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
yeah the stupid money hungry liberals in austin are wanting to toll IH-35 in austin as well. its not enough that we have to pay taxes on the roads but we also have to pay to get on the roads our taxes pay for
There are so many things that are incorrect about this statement, I don't even know where to begin.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 10:45 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
did not know this was English class were we had some grumpy person with no better time on his hands grading it.! i thought this was a forum.
Well, the internet is for idle hands to do what they do best, and you're actually making yourself look stupid without anybody's help.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 10:46 PM

you have yet to prove me wrong.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 10:47 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
you have yet to prove me wrong.
In order to prove you wrong, you would have to have said something that remotely resembled a fact.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 10:50 PM

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 10:54 PM
passion for patterns

I don't really consult blogs for anything factual - if you have a news article from a newspaper, then that's worth considering.

Even so, if you're arguing that we shouldn't have tolls in SA or anywhere else because of safety concerns, that's an entirely different discussion than what we all have been talking about. If we're really concerned about safety, then we'd start riding bicycles and pedestrianizing the city. Your argument doesn't really make sense.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Roads shouldn't be free - and they weren't paid for the first time by people like you. The gas tax is a subsidy from urban drivers to suburban and rural drivers, and the overall highway funding mechanism is a subsidy from non-drivers to drivers (since such a large portion of our roadway spending, even on highways, comes from non-user-fees).

HTH.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 11:57 PM
SR United Balla

Quote:
-HAHAHA i like this, its funny and accurate

Its B.S. to take away free lanes and replace them with tolled lanes. There should be a combination if anything and I do not mean free access roads.

-im not a religous person but ill say amen to that

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:05 AM

the obvious alternative is light rail in San Antonio.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:10 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nano View Post
Its B.S. to take away free lanes and replace them with tolled lanes. There should be a combination if anything and I do not mean free access roads.
Free lanes are not being replaced.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
San Antonio's highway infrastructure is good enough that they don't need them at the moment.
LOL

So you'd be cool with having to crawl through that on a daily basis?

281 North bound lane, 1.2 miles before 1604.

I don't think you understand how much growth there's been along the 281 corridor in recent years.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:18 AM
Hmmm....

Quote:
Funny, I thought conservatives were the ones in power...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:26 AM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
LOL

So you'd be cool with having to crawl through that on a daily basis?

I don't think you understand how much growth there's been along the 281 corridor in recent years.
I wouldn't be cool with crawling through that on a daily basis, as I prefer to not have to drive at all. (We'll see how I do when I return to Austin for a few months.)

And I do understand the growth along the 281 corridor, I mean, I at least understand why it's happening (La Cantera and the lurch towards paving the Hill Country), but in the scheme of things, I'm also very aware of how highways beget growth and I know that no amount of toll roads will really solve this. If you build it, they will clog. The mathematics of sprawl have never been wrong. The only time when it actually works is if a city stops growing, and I don't expect that to happen.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
I wouldn't be cool with crawling through that on a daily basis, as I prefer to not have to drive at all. (We'll see how I do when I return to Austin for a few months.)

And I do understand the growth along the 281 corridor, I mean, I at least understand why it's happening (La Cantera and the lurch towards paving the Hill Country), but in the scheme of things, I'm also very aware of how highways beget growth and I know that no amount of toll roads will really solve this. If you build it, they will clog. The mathematics of sprawl have never been wrong. The only time when it actually works is if a city stops growing, and I don't expect that to happen.
La Cantera is not anywhere near 281. La Cantera is off I-10 and is almost 10 miles west of 281 and 1604 where the tolls are going up.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:31 AM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
La Cantera is not anywhere near 281. La Cantera is off I-10 and is almost 10 miles west of 281 and 1604 where the tolls are going up.
Okay, the I-10 and 281 corridor. Both are growing. You know what I mean - I'm perfectly aware that La Cantera is over near Fiesta Texas and that 281 is several miles east of that. The way traffic patterns are in SA, I can't see how they're not unrelated either anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio