HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 11:18 PM

Fans at Wayne Fleming - ICE Cave will enjoy the most up close game production in the @TheWHL

https://twitter.com/WHLWpgICE/status...34722868977665

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 1:46 PM

I'm surprised to see so many seats still available for season tickets... I didn't count the dots, but it looks like they have sold maybe 1,000 of the 1,600 or so available seats. So there's hope for people like me who might want to attend a game or two this season...

https://ev2.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomm...ev2.evenue.net

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm surprised to see so many seats still available for season tickets... I didn't count the dots, but it looks like they have sold maybe 1,000 of the 1,600 or so available seats. So there's hope for people like me who might want to attend a game or two this season...
I guess we're over 750k population, but it still surprises me that this town can support six different sports teams (Jets, Moose, Ice, Goldeyes, Bombers, Valour).

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I guess we're over 750k population, but it still surprises me that this town can support six different sports teams (Jets, Moose, Ice, Goldeyes, Bombers, Valour).
I don't really think we can, something has to give. As much as I would like to see them all stay around, three hockey teams in particular is just too many. The fact that the WHL seems to be having trouble selling out a 1,600 seat venue is a bit of a warning signal right there.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 9:28 PM

Ice and Logos are in. Want to see what is behind the curtain? Get your tickets today at WinnipegICE.ca
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzigYUhAwOR/

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 9:47 PM

Umm, there doesn't appear to be a lot of clearance under that clock/scoreboard.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 2:03 PM

I was at Wayne Fleming on the weekend and it looks pretty well the same as it did in that picture above from two months ago, right down to the tarped-off wall covering one side of the place.

It was the first time that I had set foot in there since the Ice renovations began and what surprised me is that other than the new scoreboard, improved lighting and new glass, not much else has really changed. I was expecting a coat of paint to freshen it up a bit and match that crisp white in the renderings, but it's still dull beige all around.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
We cannot.

By 2021, the Moose will be relocated. Interest in the team has dried up, and the Ice will make it worse. I expect Moose attendance to be less than 3,000 this season.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlubberMiley View Post
We cannot.

By 2021, the Moose will be relocated. Interest in the team has dried up, and the Ice will make it worse. I expect Moose attendance to be less than 3,000 this season.
Moose might be a good fit for Thunder Bay, Regina, Saskatoon, Grand Forks?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Moose might be a good fit for Thunder Bay, Regina, Saskatoon, Grand Forks?
Saskatoon would be a good fit, but I believe the lease with the Blades prevents any professional hockey teams from using their arena, unless it is an NHL team.

I think it is the same way in Regina.

Thunder Bay has no arena.

Grand Forks has only 75,000 people, and College Hockey is massive there.

I could see the Moose relocating to Fargo-Moorhead.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:21 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't really think we can, something has to give. As much as I would like to see them all stay around, three hockey teams in particular is just too many. The fact that the WHL seems to be having trouble selling out a 1,600 seat venue is a bit of a warning signal right there.
I'm just wondering, this is the same hockey arena near Assiniboia Downs without a single form of transit service, right? Extending Route 82 out to Assiniboiq Downs might drastically improve game attendance numbers, if people without a car had a way to get there, minus carpools or cabs.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I'm just wondering, this is the same hockey arena near Assiniboia Downs without a single form of transit service, right? Extending Route 82 out to Assiniboiq Downs might drastically improve game attendance numbers, if people without a car had a way to get there, minus carpools or cabs.
The arena is inside the Max Bell Centre, which is across from the new Stadium at the University of Manitoba.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I could see the Moose relocating to Fargo-Moorhead.
Fargo has a USHL team "Fargo Force", it's like the WHL

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:11 PM

Quote:
The arena is inside the Max Bell Centre, which is across from the new Stadium at the University of Manitoba.
There is decent transit service to the U of M although taking the bus after a weeknight game in the winter would be a hassle. But that said, I don't think transit users really factor into the Ice's plans given that they're building an arena in the RM of MacDonald which will not be serviced by transit at all.

As for the Moose, they draw respectably well... the numbers are on the decline but I don't think TNSE has put that much effort into marketing them either. I suppose it's possible that another city could lure them away but I don't see why it wouldn't be viable here for the long run.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Fargo has a USHL team "Fargo Force", it's like the WHL
The USHL is vastly inferior to the WHL. The quality of hockey is far superior to the USHL.

The USHL is more likely on par with the MJHL.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
The USHL is vastly inferior to the WHL. The quality of hockey is far superior to the USHL.

The USHL is more likely on par with the MJHL.
Um, I think you're badly misinformed about the quality of hockey in the USHL...and the MJHL.

The USNDP plays in the USHL and had 8 first rounders in the NHL draft in June. Even excluding all Team USA picks, there was one 1st rounder, 6 2nd rounders and 5 3rd rounders drafted out of the USHL. How many MJHL picks were there in the top 3 rounds?

Closer to the WHL/OHL than the MJHL...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Um, I think you're badly misinformed about the quality of hockey in the USHL...and the MJHL.

The USNDP plays in the USHL and had 8 first rounders in the NHL draft in June. Even excluding all Team USA picks, there was one 1st rounder, 6 2nd rounders and 5 3rd rounders drafted out of the USHL. How many MJHL picks were there in the top 3 rounds?

Closer to the WHL/OHL than the MJHL...
USHL. It is not even remotely close to the quality play of the WHL. How many USHL games have you seen or been to. It is much closer in play to the MJHL than the WHL.

Last edited by BlubberMiley; Sep 5, 2019 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:27 PM

I haven't watched a single USHL game. But I see zero players being drafted from the MJHL, and many top picks from the USHL. Kyle Connor comes to mind.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I haven't watched a single USHL game. But I see zero players being drafted from the MJHL, and many top picks from the USHL.
My post was stating that the WHL is better quality than the USHL. That was the point I was trying to make. It would be a good fit for the AHL Moose.
Besides, nearly every single high ranked pick is drafted from the USNDP, a collection of "all-stars" from all over the United States. I am sure if you took the best players of the AJHL, SJHL, and MJHL, and put them on one team, they could give the USNDP a run for their money.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
My post was stating that the WHL is better quality than the USHL. Do you agree?
I don't know, haven't watched a USHL game. Since it's mostly (all?) Americans, and WHL is mostly Canadians, I'd say WHL based on that. The league as a whole.

MJHL is almost beer leagues compared to WHL. Heck I could've played MJ, but am no where near W quality.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan