HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

California Pacific Medical Center Van Ness Campus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
and at the hospital, from the east
That's the west side.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:03 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Highlighted by the morning sun, the hospital has become prominent in the view as the medical building is being built across Van Ness Avenue.

[IMG]Sutter Health CPMC Van Ness Campus by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 10:56 PM

View taken 01/20/2018. Note the Salesforce tower in the distance. Having seen the below ground area I can appreciate how much more of this building is hidden!

Medical Building at Geary & Van Ness Streets by Apollo's Light, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 5:58 AM
heavy user of walkability

not too much difference in a month+ ...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 7:35 PM
Surrounded by Nature

I like the way the very large medical office building respects its Polk Street neighbor, the historic Pierce Arrow car dealership.

[IMG]Sutter Pacific CPMC Medical Center by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

I've heard complaints about the hospital's design, but it is a much need facility that is light years ahead of the Cathedral Hill (previously Jack Tar) Hotel and office building that formerly occupied the entire block.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I've heard complaints about the hospital's design, but it is a much need facility that is light years ahead of the Cathedral Hill (previously Jack Tar) Hotel and office building that formerly occupied the entire block.
I live a few blocks away and I'm not only fine with it, I look forward to having one of the city's best hospitals within walking distance--not only for myself but I have a good friend who also lives not far (in a different location) and who has bad asthma requiring frequent ER visits and he hates the closest alternative, St. Francis. Last winter he got the flu and was in bad shape and had an ambulance take him to the current Pacific Heights location of PMC rather than go to St. Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I like the way the very large medical office building respects its Polk Street neighbor, the historic Pierce Arrow car dealership.
As I'm sure you know, long time since they sold a Pierce Arrow there but not so long since its current (homeless) tenants were hanging out on both street sides and either shooting up or having a bowel movement in the alley on another side.

But, yes, it's architecture is nice and worth preserving and respecting.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 9:15 PM

Any news on the redevelopment of the California Street campus of CPMC?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 11:24 PM

They are now saying this building will open in April 2019. It has appeared essentially complete on the exterior for some time. They have even planted the street trees around it (in spite of the fact that the Van Ness BRT project has the street itself all torn up).

Its sibling, the replacement for St. Luke's Hospital in the Mission, opens this week.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
They have even planted the street trees around it (in spite of the fact that the Van Ness BRT project has the street itself all torn up).
The infrastructure replacement for the west side of Van Ness south of California is wrapping up, meaning that the sidewalks will be redone along that stretch in the coming weeks, so the sidewalk work/tree planting in front of the hospital is actually in line with the larger BRT project.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
The infrastructure replacement for the west side of Van Ness south of California is wrapping up, meaning that the sidewalks will be redone along that stretch in the coming weeks, so the sidewalk work/tree planting in front of the hospital is actually in line with the larger BRT project.
Since I live on this stretch, I'm pretty familiar with it. So far the only sidewalks completed between McAllister and Post are in front of Opera Plaza (600 block) and in front of the hospital. I walked up and down the intervening blocks this afternoon. None of them look anywhere close to being fiinished. Most of them have stacks of pipe looking like there's still sewer or water work to be done. And even on the 600 block they haven't yet done the corners--only the center of the block. On Ellis, I think it was, they were digging up some old pipes this afternoon--not sure what they were

I suppose by some miracle they might do the remaining work in the next month or so but that would be very unlike the kind of progress they've been making before now. They told the management of my building it would take 3 weeks to do the sidewalks on our one block.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:47 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
They are now saying this building will open in April 2019. It has appeared essentially complete on the exterior for some time. They have even planted the street trees around it (in spite of the fact that the Van Ness BRT project has the street itself all torn up).

Its sibling, the replacement for St. Luke's Hospital in the Mission, opens this week.
As we saw with UCSF in Mission Bay, it takes a long time to build out and equip a major medical center.

St. Luke’s has also undergone a name change to Sutter Health CPMC Mission Bernal Campus.

https://www.sutterhealth.org/for-pat...al-campus-cpmc

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:45 AM

It took many months/ years for the new Sutter medical center in Sacramento to officially open even though the exterior was completed. Hospitals are much more complex than condos.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Since I live on this stretch, I'm pretty familiar with it. So far the only sidewalks completed between McAllister and Post are in front of Opera Plaza (600 block) and in front of the hospital. I walked up and down the intervening blocks this afternoon. None of them look anywhere close to being fiinished. Most of them have stacks of pipe looking like there's still sewer or water work to be done. And even on the 600 block they haven't yet done the corners--only the center of the block. On Ellis, I think it was, they were digging up some old pipes this afternoon--not sure what they were

I suppose by some miracle they might do the remaining work in the next month or so but that would be very unlike the kind of progress they've been making before now. They told the management of my building it would take 3 weeks to do the sidewalks on our one block.
I drive/bus down Van Ness daily to work and as of yesterday it seemed they were pouring or had poured the sidewalks from McAllister to Willow (they are still using Willow to Ellis as a staging area, but I don’t know the state of the infrastructure work on that half block). Though not being a pedestrian (ha!) on that stretch my vantage is not as good as yours.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 7:14 PM

^^They have so far poured more of the curb lanes (lanes of the street closest to the curb) than of the actual sidewalk. I believe that's the case between McAllister and Golden Gate. From Golden Gate to Turk, they have poured the actual sidewalk, except on the corners, and the curb lanes. Then from Turk to Eddy again the curb lanes only.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
California Pacific Medical Center set to become heart of corridor
By Mary Ann Azevedo – Contributor, San Francisco Business Times
Sep 13, 2018, 12:34pm

In March, a $2 billion hospital will open on Van Ness Avenue and Geary Street, likely the most expensive medical project to ever open in the city.

California Pacific Medical Center (CPMC) campus promises to deliver more than health care. The neighborhood is seeing new medical office and housing developments to support the Sutter Health project.

Construction of the 700,000-square-foot hospital is nearly complete, and equipment and furnishings are being brought into the building . . . .

Other indirect impacts are the number of projects popping around the hospital, including the Bus Rapid Transit development under construction, a connected medical office building and several housing projects.

The Van Ness Avenue Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project will create dedicated bus lanes along two miles of Van Ness and South Van Ness Avenues, from Lombard to Mission streets. The lanes will speed up travel times on Muni and Golden Gate Transit by 32 percent. Service is expected to begin in early 2021.

The hospital will be supported by a nine-story, 250,000-square-foot medical office building being developed by San Diego-based PMB. The building, located at 1100 Van Ness, will also include a six-level, 383-space underground structure that will serve the medical office building and the hospital. The two facilities will be connected underneath Van Ness so that patients and doctors can safely go back and forth without having to cross the street, noted Jim Rohan, senior vice president of development for PMB . . . .

Sutter is leasing 78 percent of the building.PMB recently signed a lease with Walgreens and has a lease pending with Starbucks, in addition to leases with two other major hospital medical groups. The building is now 83 percent leased . . . .

Residential developers are bullish on the area, too.

Build Inc. has approvals to construct 137 rental units in 12 stories on 830 Eddy St. Build’s Founding Partner Lou Vasquez is waiting on building permits. Demolition is slated for the first quarter with completion aimed for the third quarter of 2019 . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...861&j=83824321

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 7:51 AM
heavy user of walkability

speaking of sidewalks, here's what the one in front of the med center will look like

the office building across the street

the little alley on the north side of the office building

looking NE across Van Ness

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 7:02 AM

Officially opening tomorrow. Unofficially open now. So I guess the thread can go where completed projects go. No?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 8:25 AM

Johns King says, "Meh!"

Quote:
SF’s massive new hospital on Van Ness earnest but overwhelming
John King
March 10, 2019

. . . a single massive box at the same corner of Geary Street and Van Ness Avenue. Instead of boorish, it’s earnest. Instead of splashy, it’s monochromatic. More than anything else, it’s overbearing — the Bay Area’s latest example of the difficulties of fitting 21st century hospitals into long-established settings.

. . . The 11-story, 178-foot-tall building is a behemoth as well, with its five-story podium filling the entire block . . . .

The problem at Geary and Van Ness isn’t lack of ambition . . . .

For instance, the slab-like tower above the podium is arranged as if two bars were pulled slightly apart, so that the ends facing Van Ness and Franklin aren’t as thick as the long middle section. They’re mostly cloaked by a dark-toned glass curtain wall, but the pulled-apart sections within each bar are clad in silvery gray metal panels to add contrast and depth.

As for putting the tower along the south half of the block, this leaves as much light and air as possible for the large condominium complex on the next block to the north — and, no doubt, placate potentially litigious neighbors.

There’s also an uncommonly generous sidewalk corridor alongside Van Ness: The wide path is accompanied by benches set on cobbled paving stones amid a streambed-like bio-swale along the street. The ambiance is almost urbane, no easy feat on construction-hobbled Van Ness, and the landscape architects at Wallace Roberts & Todd deserve credit.

But there’s only so much that architecture can do when the podium floors measure almost 2.5 acres and the slab of the tower is 384 feet long . . . .

At this scale, any mistakes are magnified — and the SmithGroup design team made its share of mistakes.

An obvious one involves the dark glass skin, coupled with dark gray granite along the base and the silvery gray found on the tower. The overall impact is as glum as it sounds.

Yes, the curtain wall comes with seemingly random window patterns and panes of glass in varied shades of gray and blue. The inspiration, say architects, were the syncopated grids of Dutch painter Piet Mondrian. But compact jolts of color are what brought his grids to hypnotic life.

Monochrome was not Mondrian’s thing . . . .

Grading on the curve of 21st century hospitals — big, bigger, behemoth — at least San Francisco’s newcomer tries. It doesn’t look cheap.

Still, a little bit of color would be nice. Sometimes, nouveau-riche boorishness can be fun.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...ticle-comments

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
There's no doubt something slightly more interesting could have been dreamed up, but as far as hospitals go, I'm not mad.

In terms of the "Mondrian-inspired windows"; I always felt they were more of a modernist's take on stained glass, vis a vis Cathedral Hill.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 4:19 PM

New pics please if someone is around the area!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive