HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 12:32 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

SAN ANTONIO │ Tobin Lofts │ 4 FLOORS │ U/C

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/edu...ges-975460.php

Quote:
The Alamo Colleges might work with a private developer to create a mixed-use development near San Antonio College with residential and retail space, as well as a parking garage and an academic building for the college.

Though details are scant, trustees will vote at tonight's board meeting on whether to jump-start negotiations with NRP Group/Balfour Beatty Capital on an estimated $30 million public/private partnership that could benefit SAC and the surrounding Tobin Hill neighborhood.
Quote:
Carolyn Kelley, who co-founded the Tobin Hill Community Association, said the project would provide much-needed housing in the area and contribute to a vibrant, walkable community.

Across the street from Crockett Park and the 1920s-era Aurora Apartments, the site is within walking distance of Metropolitan Methodist Hospital, the River Walk extension, the Pearl Brewery and the future Tobin Center for the Performing Arts.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Jul 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 4:36 PM

I had mentioned it before; glad its finally catching some steam.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2782

LIke I said before, this is huge... really huge. It is the first development of this kind outside of DT and if successful, will set the stage nicely for other partnerships of this kind throughout SA.

For those that have some spare time to read, this article gives some insight as to what is happening in DT Detroit. It is similar to the plan discussed by ACC in that they are public-private partnerships intended to be catalysts for the neighborhood.

Any new developments that include residential are great. It takes into account what most older neighborhoods here in SA need most; an increase in density and a more walkable environment.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 8:56 PM
Endless Moments...

About time is all I have to say. Hope it moves forward...
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 10:48 PM
Paradise

Yeah this development has definitely gotten my attention. Hope it's successful.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 11:21 PM
JACKinBeantown

Any building that has ground level retail is a good thing. That's one of the big things that makes the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 7:08 AM
James

This sounds awesome, it's kind of bittersweet that I wont be able to enjoy the new campus though.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 1:55 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Moving forward. Will begin negotiations.

Didn't know that the developer is also developing Cevallos Street Lofts.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/edu...ect-977631.php

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 2:11 PM
Paradise

Great! I was just about to ask how they voted.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 6:37 PM
Endless Moments...

Hey now I could live across the street from the bar, um on second thought never mind, but at least I wouldn't have to drive.

It's funny I always thought that spot would be a prefect for a 4-6 story structure with retail and residence. Very awesome urban infill and would totally make the area awesome.
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
Hey now I could live across the street from the bar, um on second thought never mind, but at least I wouldn't have to drive.

It's funny I always thought that spot would be a perfect for a 4-6 story structure with retail and residence. Very awesome urban infill and would totally make the area awesome.
At least... we know what 1,000 space parking garage looks like; there is the 4 story structure a couple of blocks north. Add 100K sf of office space, some retail (IDK, probably around 20-30K sf, maybe on each lot) apartments (200+?,) some parking for the residences and we're looking at a couple of buildings that could be at least 8 stories, maybe even 10+ for the residential one. I don't think anyone would be too opposed to height, the Aurora apartments have been there for over 80 years.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 10:58 PM
Paradise

That plan said it wanted a mix of low, mid, and high rise buildings, so I'm sure there will be a few tall structures. I'm guessing they'll do the project in phases so we might not see any tall structures as of yet. Then again I have no idea, just me trying to piece things together.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 3:45 AM
Paradise

The story was on Fox 29.

http://www.foxsanantonio.com/newsroo...vid_4792.shtml
Quote:
Main Avenue Revitalization -- Grace White
It's a project that could change the face of Main Avenue. A stretch that's in Tobin Hill, at least. San Antonio College is teaming up with the Tobin Hill Community Association to support a $30 million dollar revitalization project. The plans are to build a residential building with commercial storefronts. It will include teaching space for the college to use and a parking garage to ease congestion on their campus.
Does anyone have this picture bigger? Looks pretty nice from what I can see.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 5:23 AM
James

So does that mean Luther's would be torn down? Hasn't that been there a while, wouldn't the HDRC have a cow?

...but it looks amazing! That would be exactly what I picture for the area!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 1:38 AM
San Antonio, TX

^^ It looks like Luther's still survives on that render.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 7:59 PM

http://www.alamo.edu/district/distmm...illSummary.pdf

Quote:

Four story, 150 unit, residential development on northwest corner of N. Main and E. Laurel; 24 units in a three story walk-up residential building at the southwest corner of Howard and Evergreen; 63 units in a third residential building at the corner of Evergreen and Main on the main San Antonio College campus

Parking Garage (1,000 space) –the residential and retail component at Main and Evergreen will wrap around two sides of a large parking structure, hiding the garage from public view and tying it in with the scale and design of adjacent structures and SAC.

100,000 square foot academic facility at the corner of Park and Main St. The building will combine with the parking garage to frame a pedestrian connection along Park St. to the core of the SAC campus.
Just found this response to RFP from back in Jan. that provides a few more details...
By looking at the proposal by the runner-up, looks like we missed out on a 16-story building in Tobin Hill. Oh well, 4 stories isn't so bad; better than parking lots, and it'll add over 200 units to the area.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
http://www.alamo.edu/district/distmm...illSummary.pdf

Just found this response to RFP from back in Jan. that provides a few more details...
By looking at the proposal by the runner-up, looks like we missed out on a 16-story building in Tobin Hill. Oh well, 4 stories isn't so bad; better than parking lots, and it'll add over 200 units to the area.
Bummer....that we missed out on a mid rise structure but glad to hear, more residential living in downtown!!!!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 12:55 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
, more residential living in downtown!!!!

*near downtown

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:02 AM
Paradise

Public-private proposal sprawls over 3 blocks
Quote:
The partnership will include the use of Lot 26, the space south of Luther's Café that the college owns, and the space where the campus police department is located.

The two lots would be used by a private company and would provide parking space and educational space for this college.

Mrizek said the buildings would consist of five elements in three complexes — retail stores, apartments, academic space, parking garage and a central plant for heating and air conditioning. The ground level retail space would include Luther's Café.

The apartments are intended to be private student housing for students from this college and other colleges, but the company will own the apartments.

Mrizek said there will be 500 to 600 availabilities for the furnished, all-bills paid student apartments.

The projected housing estimates are $925 for one bedroom, one bath; $1,400 for both two bedroom, two bath and $2,300, for all 4 bedroom, 4 bath.

The estimates are all bills inclusive.

Amenities in the complex could include tanning beds, pool, cyber café, HD theater, study rooms, security features, flat screens in all units, wifi and a parking spot for each resident.

Mrizek said he does not know what company is interested in building the complexes, but said that in about six to eight months, building is expected to start.

He said the construction of the complexes will take about three years.

John Strybos, associate vice chancellor of facilities operation and construction management, said that the No. 1 ranking response to Alamo Colleges' request for proposal is a company called NRP Group/Balfour Beatty.

The idea is that the apartments wrap around two sides of the large parking structure, hiding the garage from public view to tie it in with the scale and design of adjacent structures and this college.
http://www.theranger.org/public-priv...ocks-1.2551577

Basically the same info as before with a few exceptions.

Last edited by UrbanTrance; May 11, 2011 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:45 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Any ideas as to whether any of the units (walk-ups especially) will be for sale? Is it all rentals?

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Any ideas as to whether any of the units (walk-ups especially) will be for sale? Is it all rentals?
I believe all will be rentals.

I also don't know where the 500-600 number comes in, maybe TOTAL number of rooms? available, if so, that would make sense for ~250 apartments.

For being the first of its kind in San Antonio, it takes care of the areas where there are gaps; density (that only matters because of the next item), connectivity/walkability, and the addition of 500 or so new residents in the area that fit a different demographic than the homeowners on the other side of Main, and just the addition of more rental units where they're currently limited, but it won't be that way too much longer.
cake and keep it, too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio