dream fast

10-1

At the David Smith sculpture.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 1:59 AM
dream fast

10-1

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 1:45 AM

10-10

Last edited by J_M_Tungsten; Oct 11, 2009 at 2:05 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 6:44 PM
BANNED

wow, this building really reminds me of John Hancock in Boston.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 7:01 PM

Good call. Very elegant!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 7:23 PM
Chicago, il.- Malibu, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pimp View Post
Good call. Very elegant!
Jm....George...great shots as always. George, great shots of the details . I still dont understand why they removed all of the elevators from the outside before finishing it up?...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Interesting garage access - nice and subtle, but maybe could have been done better.
Looks like they had to "move" the columns as an exception to the facadectomy, to widen the bays...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 3:01 PM
BANNED

YoChicago's Joe Askins visited Legacy on Friday and has an update, with photos.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 6:03 PM

10/17/09

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal View Post
I dont understand why the Frieight elevators are completely removed from the outside!!! Can someone explain to me why that is?
My understanding is people are going to start moving into the lower levels within a month so they have to close the building up so that the ventilation system operates correctly. Also the construction elevator penetrated the floors of the garage and they need to close the holes up to make the garage usable.[/QUOTE]

The external skips were removed because they weren't needed anymore. Anythng that needs to be installed can now use the internal freight elevators. As mentioned, they also need to close up the tower. The windows for the upper floors are probably already on those floors and the smal crane on the roof can be used to install them.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 6:39 PM

wow! the copper on the top of the older buildings is going to look very cutting edge!

i like how they kept those buildings at the bottom, its almost like the building is hidden!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
i like how they kept those buildings at the bottom, its almost like the building is hidden!
They didnt keep any "buildings" intact, they kept the facade. Which is why the landmarks ordinance is such a joke in this city. Its a grotesque and disturbing trend which I hope is banned very soon. Its a disgrace to Chicago's architectural legacy.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 10:28 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
They didnt keep any "buildings" intact, they kept the facade. Which is why the landmarks ordinance is such a joke in this city. Its a grotesque and disturbing trend which I hope is banned very soon. Its a disgrace to Chicago's architectural legacy.
Not to be a stickler or anything, but keeping the facades of historic buildings up is certainly better than just tearing everything down and replacing them with some abhorrent parking podium - so I guess, in that regard, the landmark ordinance is doing its job. But if an ordinance were in place with stricter guidelines like the ones I *think* you may be suggesting were in place, there would be many fewer tall towers in the downtown area to speak of...just a thought.

At the very least, they are doing a fantastic job at restoring these historic storefronts through this project, which is always a plus.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
It is. . . I would rather they demolished the old builidings as well as their facades completely. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
It is. . . I would rather they demolished the old builidings as well as their facades completely. . .

. . .
Why? Progress is going to happen whether we like it or not. At least they leave remnants of the past to be viewed... Most cities are ever changing and older sections are being replaced, its just part of life...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 12:07 AM

Keeping those old facades was a brilliant move. The streetwall doesn't lose its architectural continuity, but there's a gorgeous glass tower sitting on top.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippis View Post
Not to be a stickler or anything, but keeping the facades of historic buildings up is certainly better than just tearing everything down and replacing them with some abhorrent parking podium - so I guess, in that regard, the landmark ordinance is doing its job. But if an ordinance were in place with stricter guidelines like the ones I *think* you may be suggesting were in place, there would be many fewer tall towers in the downtown area to speak of...just a thought.

At the very least, they are doing a fantastic job at restoring these historic storefronts through this project, which is always a plus.
What I dont understand is why people act as if we cant have new development without sacrificing the old (and all too often, the "good" old). Chicago more than any other major American city has room to build, even within the core, without resorting to this type of practice. Go a few blocks in any direction and you're looking at surface lots, old industrial sites, garages, and all manner of eyesores. And yet time and again the integrity of our historic buildings are compromised. Yea, I guess its nice they saved the facades, but its still a slap in the face that they are essentially just being used as a false front for a parking garage. It sets a dangerous precedent and suggests the interior of buildings really dont matter from a preservation standpoint. I hate to use the term, but its Disneyesque.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post

. . .
I bet you also thought tearing down the Garrick and the Stock Exchange were great ideas as well.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 3:23 PM

Quote:
In this case, the facades were the only thing worth saving. The interiors had been mutilated and so changed over time. Its not as if a tower was plunged through the Tiffany dome at the cultural center. The interior of these particular buildings didn't matter.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
In this case, the facades were the only thing worth saving. The interiors had been mutilated and so changed over time. Its not as if a tower was plunged through the Tiffany dome at the cultural center. The interior of these particular buildings didn't matter.
If thats the case, fair enough. But its the precedent that worries me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture