HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 2:29 AM
ChiSoxRox's Avatar
ChiSoxRox ChiSoxRox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
1,000 footers:

1. One World Trade Center, 1787ft (544,7m), Under Construction
2. 432 Park Avenue, 1420ft (432,8m), Under Construction (height not final; min: 1380ft / max: 1700ft)
3. Two World Trade Center, 1349ft (411,2m), Under Construction
4. Hudson Yards North Tower, 1292ft (393,8m), Approved
5. Empire State Building, 1250ft (381m), Completed [1,454ft (443,2m) when counting the spire]
6. 225 West 57th Street, 1250ft (381m), Site Preparation (likely to exceed 1300ft)
7. 15 Penn PLaza, 1216ft (370,6m), Approved
8. One Manhattan West, 1216ft (370,6m), Approved
9. Bank of America Tower, 1200ft (365,8m), Completed
10. Three World Trade Center, 1155ft (352m), Under Construction
11. Conde Nast Building, 1118ft (340,7m), Completed [when counting the spire]
12. The Girasole, 1060ft (323,1m), Approved (likely to exceed 1400ft)
13. Tower Verre, 1050ft (320m), Approved
14. Chrysler Building, 1046ft (318,8m), Completed
15. New York Times Tower, 1046ft (318,8m), Completed
16. Hudson Yards South Tower, 1017ft (310m), Site Preparation
17. One57, 1005ft (306,3m), Under Construction
18. Hudson Yards Mixed-used Tower, 1000ft+ (304,8m+), Proposed
19. One Hudson Yards, 1000ft+ (304,8m+), Site Preparation
20. Sherwood Tower, 1000ft+ (304,8m+), Proposed
21. Madison Ave & 42nd Street, 1000ft+ (304,8m+), Proposed (likely to exceed 1400ft)


(There are more 1000 footers approved or UC in New York than the entire United States currently has.)
__________________
Like the pre-war masonry skyscrapers? Then check out my list of the tallest buildings in 1950.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 6:47 AM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is online now
Life enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Barcelona, NYC, California
Posts: 3,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post

(There are more 1000 footers approved or UC in New York than the entire United States currently has.)

I didn't even think of that, shit.

China too (not counting the many UC projects)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:38 AM
hunser's Avatar
hunser hunser is offline
don't *meddle*...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York City / Wien
Posts: 4,016
^^ Yeah, all NYC needs is a solid 2000 footer to finish off the (Midtown) skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Xyroadia View Post
BAH!

All of them big ugly glass boxes, not a One of them with any classical charm!
I SCOFF at them!
Eh... no. Go to page 1 of this thread and have a look at the renderings. Then come back and tell me how Tower Verre, 2WTC, One57, The Hudson Yards Towers and co. are "big ugly boxes".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 10:55 AM
Tyler Xyroadia's Avatar
Tyler Xyroadia Tyler Xyroadia is offline
Architect Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
^^ Yeah, all NYC needs is a solid 2000 footer to finish off the (Midtown) skyline.



Eh... no. Go to page 1 of this thread and have a look at the renderings. Then come back and tell me how Tower Verre, 2WTC, One57, The Hudson Yards Towers and co. are "big ugly boxes".
I do apologize, but that is part of the reason why I have the title, Architecture Curmudgeon

This is New York City we are talking about. Where Brick stone and Art Deco are King. As far as this Curmudgeon is concerned, those are the only type of buildings that should grace the isle of Manhattan.

Now then, I will recant that many on the list are not "Ugly" per say. And indeed not boxy like many of the monstrosities built during the 60's and 70's. But nor do they "Fit" in with the historical richness of NYC. Perhaps in some of the more modern cities of Europe or Asia perhaps? I could see them fitting in Hong Kong or Singapore quite well.

But NYC? Home of 30wall street? Of the Chrysler Building? Of The ESB? This Curmudgeon thinks not. As far as I am concerned, the envisioned "30 Park Place" is the only one on that list that I am indeed wishing to see come to light.
__________________
"God damn modern architect's and their Brtualism, and 'realism' and damn concrete boxes. Why I remember back when buildings had STYLE back when you would have real ARTISTS working away both inside and out!
"Um, aren't you like barely 30?"
"Thats not the point you damn whipper snapper!"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 11:12 AM
hunser's Avatar
hunser hunser is offline
don't *meddle*...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York City / Wien
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Xyroadia View Post
I do apologize, but that is part of the reason why I have the title, Architecture Curmudgeon

This is New York City we are talking about. Where Brick stone and Art Deco are King. As far as this Curmudgeon is concerned, those are the only type of buildings that should grace the isle of Manhattan.

Now then, I will recant that many on the list are not "Ugly" per say. And indeed not boxy like many of the monstrosities built during the 60's and 70's. But nor do they "Fit" in with the historical richness of NYC. Perhaps in some of the more modern cities of Europe or Asia perhaps? I could see them fitting in Hong Kong or Singapore quite well.

But NYC? Home of 30wall street? Of the Chrysler Building? Of The ESB? This Curmudgeon thinks not. As far as I am concerned, the envisioned "30 Park Place" is the only one on that list that I am indeed wishing to see come to light.
OK, I feel your pain. Me too, I am dreaming of a new Art Deco supertall which can only improve the skyline.
The thing is such towers won't be built because today's developers are cheap bastards who only care about profit. For them, ornamentation is a waste of money.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 11:34 AM
Tyler Xyroadia's Avatar
Tyler Xyroadia Tyler Xyroadia is offline
Architect Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 161
AH!

A man after my own cynical heart then?
Yes It is a bloody shame what has happened to Architecture, and the phrase "cheap bastards" is all too accurate. Up until the late 40's early 50's Architecture was about ART.
A single elevator door could have the intricate scrolling, metalwork and detail as some great work of art in a gallery. It was the mark OF Wealth "back then" to have art festooned on every surface. The Lobby of the kings of the 30's are a wonderful testament and legacy to this.
Yet now? Glass, steel and concrete are what we are so often treated to.

Look at 30 Parkplace. From a distance it warms my Curmudgeon heart! It seems to be a revival of a true art deco revival! Yet upon closer inspection, it seems bereft and devoid of even the most basic ornamentation.

Alas, such is the way of the world now, and people like us are made to feel like dinosaurs of a bygone age.
__________________
"God damn modern architect's and their Brtualism, and 'realism' and damn concrete boxes. Why I remember back when buildings had STYLE back when you would have real ARTISTS working away both inside and out!
"Um, aren't you like barely 30?"
"Thats not the point you damn whipper snapper!"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 12:50 PM
The_Architect's Avatar
The_Architect The_Architect is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,387
If you don't want them, can we have them instead then please?

EDIT: By "we" I mean Toronto, not London.
__________________
Hope is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 1:51 PM
DrNest's Avatar
DrNest DrNest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
If you don't want them, can we have them instead then please?

EDIT: By "we" I mean Toronto, not London.
Yup, with the exception of Tower Verve which personally I don't like the look of, I would welcome any and all from this list in Toronto.

Last edited by DrNest; Jun 7, 2012 at 2:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 3:54 PM
Eidolon's Avatar
Eidolon Eidolon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
1,000 footers:

1. One World Trade Center, 1787ft (544,7m), Under Construction
2. 432 Park Avenue, 1420ft (432,8m), Under Construction (height not final; min: 1380ft / max: 1700ft)
3. Two World Trade Center, 1349ft (411,2m), Under Construction
4. Hudson Yards North Tower, 1292ft (393,8m), Approved
5. Empire State Building, 1250ft (381m), Completed [1,454ft (443,2m) when counting the spire]
6. 225 West 57th Street, 1250ft (381m), Site Preparation (likely to exceed 1300ft)
7. 15 Penn PLaza, 1216ft (370,6m), Approved
8. One Manhattan West, 1216ft (370,6m), Approved
9. Bank of America Tower, 1200ft (365,8m), Completed
10. Three World Trade Center, 1155ft (352m), Under Construction
11. Conde Nast Building, 1118ft (340,7m), Completed [when counting the spire]
12. The Girasole, 1060ft (323,1m), Approved (likely to exceed 1400ft)
13. Tower Verre, 1050ft (320m), Approved
14. Chrysler Building, 1046ft (318,8m), Completed
15. New York Times Tower, 1046ft (318,8m), Completed
16. Hudson Yards South Tower, 1017ft (310m), Site Preparation
17. One57, 1005ft (306,3m), Under Construction
18. Hudson Yards Mixed-used Tower, 1000ft+ (304,8m+), Proposed
19. One Hudson Yards, 1000ft+ (304,8m+), Site Preparation
20. Sherwood Tower, 1000ft+ (304,8m+), Proposed
21. Madison Ave & 42nd Street, 1000ft+ (304,8m+), Proposed (likely to exceed 1400ft)
You missed 425 Park and 237 Park, and more are undoubtedly on the way soon.

While the NY Skyline is already the best in terms of asthetics in my opinion, New York may well have the most supertalls in any one city in the world in as little as 10 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 6:03 PM
hunser's Avatar
hunser hunser is offline
don't *meddle*...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York City / Wien
Posts: 4,016
^^ I know about those two but I don't think they are officially proposed. From page 1:
Quote:
* List does not include visions or never build / canceled projects.
237 PA: NYGuy:
Quote:
It's not in proposal status yet
And 425 PA won't be a supertall as far as I know.

But thanks nonetheless. If you can provide any source that both PA towers are proposed, I'll add them to the list.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 6:17 PM
Eidolon's Avatar
Eidolon Eidolon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
^^ I know about those two but I don't think they are officially proposed. From page 1:

237 PA: NYGuy:

And 425 PA won't be a supertall as far as I know.

But thanks nonetheless. If you can provide any source that both PA towers are proposed, I'll add them to the list.


Thanks for clearing that up.

425 Park may still become a supertall though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:44 PM
jd3189's Avatar
jd3189 jd3189 is online now
An Optimistic Realist
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loma Linda, CA / West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Xyroadia View Post
AH!

A man after my own cynical heart then?
Yes It is a bloody shame what has happened to Architecture, and the phrase "cheap bastards" is all too accurate. Up until the late 40's early 50's Architecture was about ART.
A single elevator door could have the intricate scrolling, metalwork and detail as some great work of art in a gallery. It was the mark OF Wealth "back then" to have art festooned on every surface. The Lobby of the kings of the 30's are a wonderful testament and legacy to this.
Yet now? Glass, steel and concrete are what we are so often treated to.

Look at 30 Parkplace. From a distance it warms my Curmudgeon heart! It seems to be a revival of a true art deco revival! Yet upon closer inspection, it seems bereft and devoid of even the most basic ornamentation.

Alas, such is the way of the world now, and people like us are made to feel like dinosaurs of a bygone age.
Well you could always try to get the Metlife North Building up and running again. It could be one of the proposals and it was already designed as an Art Deco skyscraper.
__________________
There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.
-Aldous Huxley

Continue improving until the end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 9:03 PM
RockMont RockMont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 660
That 432 Park Avenue building looks like the tallest one in Downtown Denver, only twice as tall. The box shape and the square windows.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 1:33 AM
Crawford Crawford is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NYC/Polanco, DF
Posts: 19,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
^^ I know about those two but I don't think they are officially proposed. From page 1:
There is no such thing as "officially proposed". A project is either existing, under construction, or not existing. A proposal simply means a project isn't in the other two categories.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 10:03 AM
hunser's Avatar
hunser hunser is offline
don't *meddle*...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York City / Wien
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There is no such thing as "officially proposed". A project is either existing, under construction, or not existing. A proposal simply means a project isn't in the other two categories.
What I mean is that the devolper has to officially announce a project. Just because a building has been razed doesn't mean we'll get a 1000 footer instead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 3:55 PM
manchester united manchester united is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 404
These aren't all supertalls, but it is an interesting list of the Nyc skyscrapers under construction : http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...ion_in_nyc.php
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 5:24 PM
hunser's Avatar
hunser hunser is offline
don't *meddle*...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York City / Wien
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
These aren't all supertalls, but it is an interesting list of the Nyc skyscrapers under construction : http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...ion_in_nyc.php
Yeah, I only list 200m+ skyscrapers (uc, pro, in prep or app), see previous page(s). It's quite impossible to list all current projects in NY. Also, Curbed only covers a small portion of what's going on in the city right now.

It certainly tells you a lot about a city's dynamic if you have troubles catching up with all those new towers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 7:48 PM
stormkingfan stormkingfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PhilaPA
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I think it already is.
The bigger it gets, the bigger it wants to be.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 7:51 PM
stormkingfan stormkingfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PhilaPA
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonexport View Post
esb will always be the king skyscraper and the chrysler the most beautiful (in my opinion).
amen!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 10:58 PM
stormkingfan stormkingfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PhilaPA
Posts: 503
The first couple of times of looking at Hudson Yards, I thought they were a bit comical for towers their size. Today, I took a long look at the pics above, and realize I like them. They're like two giant sailboats waiting to be launched onto the Hudson. Peaceful looking.

Put 'em up!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:43 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.