HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 7:00 PM

SAN FRANCISCO | 222 Second | 370 FT | 26 FLOORS

I'm not sure if there is a thread for this project yet but here is an update from www.socketsite.com:

The project sponsor, TS 222 Second Street, L.P., proposes to construct a 26-story, approximately 350-foot-tall office tower containing approximately 430,650 square feet of office space. The project would also include [4,600 square feet of] retail space and an enclosed [8,750 square foot] publicly accessible open space at the ground floor, and two levels of sub-grade parking containing 54 parking spaces.

As proposed, the project would be a rectilinear tower of diminishing bulk from the building base to a height of approximately 350 feet. At the fifth floor, the north façade of the building would be set back 5 feet from Howard Street and the west façade would be set back approximately 20 feet from the westerly property line. At the 17th story, the east façade would be set back 24.5 feet from Second Street, and the South façade would be set back 44.5 feet from Tehama Street. In addition, the fifth floor would include a further 5-foot recess, or “reveal,” on all four facades, intended to emphasize a visual break above the first four stories of the building—at a height of about 60 feet—and thereby establish a sense of continuity with nearby historic structures.

he site is currently occupied by a surface parking lot. As part of the project, the sponsor proposes to acquire and incorporate into the project site a 1,650-square-foot (20-foot–by–82.5-foot) portion of the adjacent property, which would increase the size of the project site to 25,575 square feet, and to demolish the existing loading dock at 631 Howard Street, which occupies the portion of the adjacent parcel to be acquired. The existing building at 631 Howard Street would remain.

Two basement parking levels would be provided beneath the project site, with access provided via a two way driveway from Tehama Street for a total of 54 marked parking spaces, with capacity for approximately 80 vehicles with valet parking. The basement would also include approximately 46 bicycle parking spaces, which would exceed the 12 spaces required by the Planning Code. Three additional service van spaces would also be provided in the basement.
Construction is estimated at 21 months with occupancy as early as 2013. The project architect is Heller Manus in association with Thomas Phifer and Partners.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 11:19 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
TS 222 Second Street, L.P.
TS = Tishman Speyer. Very reminiscent of 555 Mission, another TS building. It's not bad and much better than a parking lot, but I don't expect to see it rising in 2011 for a 2013 occupancy.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 12:20 AM

i hope it gets built sooner rather than later, not just because it looks like a nice building and a good addition to that intersection, but also because it means we wont have to look at the back side of one hawthorne anymore.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 3:12 AM
Only Mostly Dead

^Ha! So true. This would obliterate my view of that, which is a good thing!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 7:58 PM

the massing of this building makes it a carbon copy of 555 mission, not that it's a bad thing at all, as 555 mission has one of the best glass curtains in the city. i can't wait to see this one go up!

what i'd really like to see though is for that stretch of howard st between this development and the foundry buildings to be all be glassy and finally start looking like it is part of the central business district, but i hope there won't be any future developements on that nice 2-block stretch of 2nd st towards market though!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 9:29 PM

Here are some massing studies that show how it, and the rest the of the Rincon Hill and Transbay plans, will look within the current skyline:

Images courtesy of www.socketsite.com

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 7:34 PM
Endless Moments...

Wow if all those towers were to go up that would be crazy kewl.
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 11:42 PM

I can't wait till San Fran gets some real density going on.

I want it to rival chicago and new york!

Seems now it only rivals L.A. and San diego.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 12:40 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I can't wait till San Fran gets some real density going on.

I want it to rival chicago and new york!

Seems now it only rivals L.A. and San diego.
Population Density (from Wikipedia)
SF: 17,323 ppsm
LA: 8,205 ppsm
SD: 4,174 ppsm

Highrises (existing and u/c, from Emporis)
LA: 511
SF: 420
SD: 151

San Francisco has a much higher population density than LA or SD--indeed, among big US cities San Francisco is second only to New York. As for highrise density, LA has more highrises but they are spread out--San Francisco's highrises are all concentrated in a single high-rise core. Which is one way to consider density--concentration.

Perhaps you have some other kind of density on your mind?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 3:39 AM
BANNED

Might as well give the figure for Chicago: 12,750 ppsm (a bit more than 2/3 as dense as SF)

Then, of course there are the other ways a city can "rival" another. SF certainly "rivals" anyplace in North America except New York, which is 10 times its size, in terms of high culture (opera, symphony, ballet) and dining (fine and otherwise). It's got in the Bay Area (if not within the city limits), all the professional sports (LA still doesn't have a football team--we still have 2). It's a center and focus of several major industries: tech, biotech, organic and artisanal food production (including fine wines), finance. And the Bay Area rivals the other places mentioned in higher education with 2 top 10 national universities and a number of smaller colleges and universities.

I could go on, but I don't want to divert the thread into a city competition. The point is simply that for a relatively small city in population and geography, SF is very "dense" in what makes urban living desirable for most of us.

Last edited by BTinSF; Feb 7, 2010 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 3:51 AM
Sonoma Strong

nice proposal - very similar indeed to 555 mission. we'll have to see tho what the glass will look like in person. too bad they couldnt go taller

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 1:35 AM

I wanted to see these bigger (same source as above)...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Might as well give the figure for Chicago: 12,750 ppsm (a bit more than 2/3 as dense as SF)

Then, of course there are the other ways a city can "rival" another. SF certainly "rivals" anyplace in North America except New York, which is 10 times its size, in terms of high culture (opera, symphony, ballet) and dining (fine and otherwise). It's got in the Bay Area (if not within the city limits), all the professional sports (LA still doesn't have a football team--we still have 2). It's a center and focus of several major industries: tech, biotech, organic and artisanal food production (including fine wines), finance. And the Bay Area rivals the other places mentioned in higher education with 2 top 10 national universities and a number of smaller colleges and universities.

I could go on, but I don't want to divert the thread into a city competition. The point is simply that for a relatively small city in population and geography, SF is very "dense" in what makes urban living desirable for most of us.
I didn't know all those things where involved in what rivals a city.

All I've really thought where density and how tall they're tallest building was.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 4:52 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Good impact for a 26 story building.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 5:14 AM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I didn't know all those things where involved in what rivals a city.

All I've really thought where density and how tall they're tallest building was.
its not about rivalry. theres WAAAAY more to what makes a great city than density and the tallest building. i want to repeat that. theres way more to what makes a great city than density and the tallest building, period.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
As for highrise density, LA has more highrises but they are spread out--San Francisco's highrises are all concentrated in a single high-rise core. Which is one way to consider density--concentration.
If plans like the Treasure Island redevelopment, and hunters point/candlestick actuallly pan out, SF will have a few spread out high rise districts like L.A., along with it's dense core. I personally would like to see that. But this is off topic...my apologies.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 9:35 PM
Only Mostly Dead

This was approved by Planning yesterday 4-3. Next it goes before the BOS for final approval of the variances they are seeking.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 2:14 AM

And an updated rendering:

Rendering from www.socketsite.com

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 10:24 AM

Is this development still going forward?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaso View Post
Is this development still going forward?
According to an SF Business Times article from June, "Tishman Speyer is shopping 222 Second St." to potential tenants and contractors. So, they are indeed working to get some lease commitments in order to proceed with construction.

As long as office demand stays strong downtown, it seems like this could get going sometime in the next year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive