HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

FMC Tower at Cira Centre South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 7:31 PM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDPhilly View Post
so are they gona put this thread in the construction section now
No, we have to wait until there are structural components in place for the towers themselves. This will take quite a while as the final designs are not even complete yet.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolndrive View Post
Yea, any news on this (KOZ status extension)? I thought the decision was meant to happen last week? Anyone got the word?
Looks like Senate Bill 1412 regarding the extension of KOZ zones in "unoccupied parcels" is scheduled for a vote today...

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/SC/SC/0/RC/CAL.HTM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 2:19 AM

cjphilly, I tried clicking on the link and couldnt access information. Anyone know what happened to the vote today? Did it pass?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 3:35 AM
My CAT digs.

Sb 1412

It doesn't look like they got to it today.

PA Senate Bill 1412 Finance

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 9:01 PM
My CAT digs.

As of 4PM today, the bill was "laid on the table" then "removed from the table". I think it is being amended before the vote. I read that opposition to the bill from school districts was rather intense; they opposed one of the provisions concerning separate contracts be entered for work done on the plumbing, heating, ventilating or lighting systems in school buildings that are located in KOZ, KOIZ and related tax-benefit areas. This bill has a much larger scope than the KOZ for Cira South. That is just one very small piece of it. I am not sure of all of the particulars, but at least it doesn't seem like anyone is opposed to the KOZ extension for this project specifically.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 1:55 AM

Any update on Bill 1412? has it passed or any word what day it will be scheduled for a vote?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 2:16 PM
My CAT digs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes44 View Post
Any update on Bill 1412? has it passed or any word what day it will be scheduled for a vote?
It passed 49 - 1 in the Senate after being amended. It then went on to the House appropriations committee where it passed 34 - 1.

I didn't read the changes to the Act, and I am not a lawyer, so I don't know if the changes had any adverse implications on Cira South, but I don't think the amendments changed anything dealing with that property.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 5:32 PM
Realtor

Progress from today

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 8:32 PM

phenomenal - i hope wake up tomorrow morning, type blk into my machine and see a press release! Let's keep those fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by winxs View Post
It passed 49 - 1 in the Senate after being amended. It then went on to the House appropriations committee where it passed 34 - 1.

I didn't read the changes to the Act, and I am not a lawyer, so I don't know if the changes had any adverse implications on Cira South, but I don't think the amendments changed anything dealing with that property.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolndrive View Post
What exactly is going on in that picture? I know the first phase was to demo that building which I think they already finished with. So what's next?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 12:58 PM
My CAT digs.

2,500 space parking garage is next. Since the Chestnut St tower is between the garage and the IRS Building (formerly 30th St Post Office), it looks like they may be preparing it's foundation as well. I am not sure if the Chestnut St tower will use the north side of the garage as a podium, or if it is going to be a separate structure when it rises.

edit: Ok, if you look at the second picture back in post #1, it appears that BOTH towers and the garage are built atop a deck. What I think we are seeing in this picture is the foundation of the old annex which might be reused as part of the new deck. I guess?

Also, that depressed area that looks like it comes out of a portal under the post office - I wonder if this is one of the original rail tunnels that run under the buildings or if it was an underground truck entrance?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 5:34 PM
Realtor

I actually just asked someone at the Inquirer about this and was told that although it had passed in the senate, the House was still debating certain aspects and it had not passed as of yet. I'm curious where you heard otherwise, Winx? Regardless, it seems like the support is there and I think it will pass shortly.

Quote:

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:40 AM
My CAT digs.

Lincolndrive, I just did some research on http://www.legis.state.pa.us/. Unfortunately, the information takes a while to update on the site.

If I am reading the info on the site correctly, it passed the Senate. It then went over to the House. The House Appropriations Committee approved it, but it has FAILED three times on the house floor and is in the process of being amended again. This most likely has to do with the school issue.

As for the school issue, I am a member of ASTD (American Society of Training & Development) and I read a discussion from several members of our local chapter about this bill. They were lobbying their local Reps to reject the bill because of language in the bill about construction and maintenance contracts for school buildings and property located within a KOZ, KOEZ, or KOIZ.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 10:16 PM

Well, it looks like the bill passed both houses, and as far as I can tell, the Fumo amendment didn't stick either which is good news for ACC...whew! Come on BlackRock!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 5:44 PM
BANNED

Can anyone confirm officially that the 7-year KOZ extension passed? Was there any press release? It seems strange to me that Nutter has been so silent after being such a vocal proponent of bringing Blackrock to Philly, especially in this economy. You'd think he'd jump at any opportunity to talk about adding new jobs...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 7:04 PM
My CAT digs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Can anyone confirm officially that the 7-year KOZ extension passed? Was there any press release? It seems strange to me that Nutter has been so silent after being such a vocal proponent of bringing Blackrock to Philly, especially in this economy. You'd think he'd jump at any opportunity to talk about adding new jobs...
Don, the bill that included the KOZ extention passed. See here.

News from the Pennsylvania General Assembly
AP
Posted: 2008-07-03 23:17:00
THURSDAY, JULY 3, 2008

STATEHOUSE SNIPPETS...

...KEYSTONE OPPORTUNITY ZONES: The Senate voted 49-1 to approve House amendments to a bill to reauthorize Pennsylvania's Keystone Opportunity Zone program, which is geared to foster business development in certain designated zones where taxes are reduced. Under the bill, extensions would be granted to vacant parcels in existing zones, and provisions would be allowed to add territory to zones. Sen. Christine M. Tartaglione, D-Philadelphia, said the updates were important to a pending deal for the financial firm BlackRock Inc. to establish a major office in the proposed Cira South office building in downtown Philadelphia. The bill goes to Rendell. (Senate Bill 1412)...

It would be a good guess that there will be a press release (or maybe a news conference) as soon as the Gov puts the pen to the paper.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 7:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It would be a good guess that there will be a press release (or maybe a news conference) as soon as the Gov puts the pen to the paper.
AH HA! That's why there hasn't been much fanfare yet. Cool, thanks.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 4:54 PM

As of the other day when Gov Rendell signed 45 bills into law, this bill was not one of them. Any inside information on this?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 4:29 PM
Most Trusted

Who was the one against vote?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 4:42 PM
My CAT digs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_pentangeli View Post
Who was the one against vote?
John H. Eichelberger (R)
Senate District 30
Bedford, Blair, Fulton, Huntingdon and Mifflin (part) Counties.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive