HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Devon Energy Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 9:49 PM
Verticle

It's a privately owned business. They can do whatever they want to. I personally am not offended in the least and think the entire church/state separation PC thing is WAY out of hand. What's next? Banning crosses or any religious symbol from the exterior of a church or building? Religion has inspired some of the most incredible architecture and art in the history of the world. Let's try to open our minds and be more tolerant and ENCOURAGE each other's beliefs instead of stifling them. Censorship was never a pretty nor intelligent thing to do. INSPIRE each other to create things never before imagined with NO limitations instead of trying to limit and contain them. Just my HO.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 11:26 PM

^^Agreed,but what if the owners of this building were Muslim and displayed a giant Crescent Moon,then there would be an uproar of protest!I believe that since this is Oklahoma and The Bible belt there is not very much oppostion to this but let it be a Star of David or Crecent Moon then all the people who said the Cross was freedom of expression would flip tones and be up in arms over another religions display!This is just my opinion,and btw I dont mind the Crosses!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
^^I dont mind it,but I would rather it not be up.It just confirms to those passing by on the highway that OKC is the Capitol of the Bible Belt!Some say it is fine and some think it is creepy!
Its Oklahoma..its the Bible Belt, its conservative,,,big surprise.lol. It is kinda creepy looking.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Snob View Post
It's a privately owned business. They can do whatever they want to. I personally am not offended in the least and think the entire church/state separation PC thing is WAY out of hand. What's next? Banning crosses or any religious symbol from the exterior of a church or building? Religion has inspired some of the most incredible architecture and art in the history of the world. Let's try to open our minds and be more tolerant and ENCOURAGE each other's beliefs instead of stifling them. Censorship was never a pretty nor intelligent thing to do. INSPIRE each other to create things never before imagined with NO limitations instead of trying to limit and contain them. Just my HO.
Yes, but by the very fact that the cross is on some mundane mid-rise building in effect cheapens the religious symbolism. How does religion inspire architecture when it is displayed on some mundane building that could be found in ANY city with a population of over 150,000? Its like putting up a manger scene in front of a Cracker Barrell. Some rednecks might find it charming and inspiring, but what does it really do to an outsiders view of Christianity? Cheapens it. This building in Oklahoma City where the cross is is NOT an icon of incredible architecture which you say religion inspires,,LOL.

Last edited by JoePDX; Dec 9, 2011 at 7:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 6:58 PM
Verticle

I never said religion inspired that highrise building in OKC. You missed the point entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePDX View Post
Yes, but by the very fact that the cross is on some mundane mid-rise building in effect cheapens the religious symbolism. How does religion inspire architecture when it is displayed on some mundane building that could be found in ANY city with a population of over 150,000? Its like putting up a manger scene in front of a Cracker Barrell. Some rednecks might find it charming and inspiring, but what does it really do to an outsiders view of Christianity? Cheapens it. This building in Oklahoma City where the cross is is NOT an icon of incredible architecture which you say religion inspires,,LOL.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 6:59 PM
Verticle

I sure hope that someone takes DAYTIME pics of the Devron tower soon. Would like to see what the glass looks like on the crown, as well as put an end to this "religous" string.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 7:17 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
I sure hope that someone takes DAYTIME pics of the Devron tower soon. Would like to see what the glass looks like on the crown, as well as put an end to this "religous" string.
Lol yeah. I apologize for getting us so off topic.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 1:45 AM

Quote:
so true.

Last edited by whiteford; Dec 10, 2011 at 1:56 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Not to get too off topic, but Jesus wasn't born on Christmas. Find the book chapter and verse that says he was.
no kidding, we all know grade 2 trivia i hope.
back on topic, i wonder, are they going to be lighting the tower up like the garden is, or has this been discussed already? it would sure be nice to see at least some of the LEDs to match the garden embellish this sweet tower, if not just to accent it a touch. i would love to see this big skyscraper light up at least somewhat.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 3:50 AM

It probably has been discussed, but here is a recent pic of the LED lights being tested from pw405 at OKCtalk.com

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 9:09 PM
Big City Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePDX View Post
midrise?

I am certain those two OKC "midrises" with the crosses would be called skyscrapers in Portland's stubby skyline. ...

However, I do agree somewhat with your point that the overkill of crosses does cheapen the message or make the city threatening to many. It would be better if one of them did a different cymbol, like a christmas tree or lit itself green/red. ....

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 6:33 AM

Crosses threatening? Seriously?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 9:53 AM

December 10 2011

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
wow defensive much? How 'bout you give me a break. I meant no offense to the owners of the buildings...in fact, none of that was what I meant at all, and I'd think you would know that.

I don't want to push another religion...I'd have the same issue if there were a Star of David or a Crescent Moon, or even a Pentagram on the buildings. I just wonder how the Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. in Oklahoma City (I'm sure there's at least some of each) feel looking at their downtown skyline and seeing crosses everywhere. I don't think this is an unreasonable reservation on my part, and it wouldn't fly in many other cities.
I find it laughable, that in the United States we are so sensitive when it comes to religion. It's pathetic! You liberals get your undies caught in a bundle because some lights are in the shape of a cross on a couple buildings for one night! Geeze, come on Devon, get ready for next year, get that minaret emblem ready, but wait, it's not right if just one religion is represented, make sure you get out your dradle, and hell, since atheists will be mad, just leave 5 floors blank, representing the abyss that is atheism.

Meanwhile in Saudi Arabia- Abraj Al-Bait is being built, over 2000 feet tall, with a huge crescent on it, that is about 100 feet tall. And no one says anything about how gaudy and ridiculous it is. But when crosses are displayed for one night in podunk OKC people get mad.

Political correctness in america is sickening! Let's annihilate culture because culture in general is offensive evidently.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 3:39 PM

And on the topic of the construction of this building now, it's looking great! I'm ready for them to finish cladding the top though! Taking forever

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 6:35 PM

Podunk OKC?The crosses arent up just for one night there up all season long!Other than that I agree with you,for the most part!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 7:25 PM

Go Oklahoma City! I'm jealous.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
Podunk OKC?The crosses arent up just for one night there up all season long!Other than that I agree with you,for the most part!
haha Sorry, no offense on the podunk part, I just always spend my breaks in NYC, so OKC seems podunk. And one day or the whole season is irrelevant compared to the middle east putting up crescents for eternity.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 10:55 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupcoolmen View Post
I find it laughable, that in the United States we are so sensitive when it comes to religion. It's pathetic! You liberals get your undies caught in a bundle because some lights are in the shape of a cross on a couple buildings for one night! Geeze, come on Devon, get ready for next year, get that minaret emblem ready, but wait, it's not right if just one religion is represented, make sure you get out your dradle, and hell, since atheists will be mad, just leave 5 floors blank, representing the abyss that is atheism.

Meanwhile in Saudi Arabia- Abraj Al-Bait is being built, over 2000 feet tall, with a huge crescent on it, that is about 100 feet tall. And no one says anything about how gaudy and ridiculous it is. But when crosses are displayed for one night in podunk OKC people get mad.

Political correctness in america is sickening! Let's annihilate culture because culture in general is offensive evidently.
I really didn't mean to start up a whole arguement about religion, though I guess I should've know better than to unintentionally insult the uber-religious conservatives. See? I can play politics too. I just normally don't like to because stuff like this constitutes nothing more than childish low blows to me.

Also I find it ironic that you all is calling me super-sensitive when I made my initial comment and the only responded twice since, this post included. I really was just considering the sensitivities of people of other backgrounds that call OKC home. It's called empathy, not really groundbreaking stuff.

I did fail to consider that OKC is at the center of a very Christian region of this country, and since I'm from New York, my values probably differ from many Oklahoma City residents, but we're all Americans, and at the end of the day, that's what's most important to me. What I've seen from the East Coast is that OKC is a dynamic city on the rise and that's what I love about it.

Now please, let's get back on topic! Those lights look sick, I hope they do that all the way up the sides. It reminds me of the outlining of Bank of America Plaza in Dallas.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupcoolmen View Post

I hate off topic posts, but this is just ridiculous. No one was attacking individuals or religions, just what some people thought was the gratuitous and maybe tacky display of crosses on commercial buildings. But God forbid anyone (especially liberals) dare even remotely criticize the cross. It sounds like this poster needs to examine his or her own hypersensitivity.

Listen, you've made unnecessary and unfounded attacks on people's political beliefs, religious beliefs, and Oklahoma City, all because your religious symbol wasn't given due respect. You must have ignored the countless posts criticizing the Abraj Al-Bait tower for its tackiness and cheapening of religious symbolism. If you want to defend your beliefs, I suggest you keep quiet, because you've shown yourself to be such a stereotype of the bigoted, ignorant religious fool that I think you must be a troll. Don't speak out of both sides of your mouth, criticizing "political correctness" on one side but demanding deference to your religion on the other.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive