HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 3:21 PM

This has been discussed before, but I do think those parking lots will get infilled eventually with structured parking and denser mixed-use development similar to the Domain. But it may take a decade or two before the market gets there.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
This has been discussed before, but I do think those parking lots will get infilled eventually with structured parking and denser mixed-use development similar to the Domain. But it may take a decade or two before the market gets there.
this project seems absurd. looks like a temporary structure at a temporary location. neither serving needs of a football club

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 3:42 PM
World Traveler

It's more than fine for Austin FC. It's a brand new team with a stellar stadium (the main focus) and great practice pitches for the pro team as well as the academy. These structures will serve their purpose and, if needed, they can be replaced or beefed up down the road.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
It's more than fine for Austin FC. It's a brand new team with a stellar stadium (the main focus) and great practice pitches for the pro team as well as the academy. These structures will serve their purpose and, if needed, they can be replaced or beefed up down the road.
Yes, they went with pre-engineered steel structures to get them up quickly. They started on the SDPC quite a bit later than the stadium, and needed it up an running sooner to have a place to train a brand new team.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 2:15 PM

I got a tour of the SDPC yesterday (sorry no photos). Despite the use of pre-engineered steel structure, it is really quite nice. It is still mostly in drywall stage without a lot of fixtures and equipment installed yet, but the spaces are very pleasant. There are high vaulted ceilings and abundant natural light from clerestories and all of the main spaces have floor to ceiling shop front windows and glazed overhead doors with views and direct access to the adjacent practice pitches. Overall, it is really quite state-of-the-art, but I think the best thing about it is that the academy facility is incorporated into the building. The youth development teams will be practicing and hanging out right next door to the Pros.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 3:30 PM

Sounds awesome. I like the idea of the young padawan being mentored closely by the pros. I think it will be a really cool compound, when it's all said and done.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 3:33 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
I got a tour of the SDPC yesterday (sorry no photos). Despite the use of pre-engineered steel structure, it is really quite nice. It is still mostly in drywall stage without a lot of fixtures and equipment installed yet, but the spaces are very pleasant. There are high vaulted ceilings and abundant natural light from clerestories and all of the main spaces have floor to ceiling shop front windows and glazed overhead doors with views and direct access to the adjacent practice pitches. Overall, it is really quite state-of-the-art, but I think the best thing about it is that the academy facility is incorporated into the building. The youth development teams will be practicing and hanging out right next door to the Pros.
Nice! Glad to hear it's looking good in person. And yes, proximity to the greats is one of the primary motivators for youth. Very cool, indeed.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 3:54 PM

Quote:
There are a few MLS teams with pretty impressive/unique training facilities and many others with crap facilities. Austin's is likely to be somewhere in the upper third when it's complete (mostly because it's brand new and partly because of those other planned improvements adjacent to the facility like that pond/outdoor theater thing).

The Philadelphia Union's facility is a cool adaptive re-use of an old machine shop and storage facility.

Some, like Toronto FC have fancy amenities like two heated grass fields (for obvious reasons).

Here is an article on the league website with all of the training facilities. This article did not include details on Austin's $45m facility. Some of the dollar figures can be misleading as the team facilities only represent a small portion of a larger complex.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...ining-facility

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 8:21 PM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 5:05 AM

Awesome. I'm still not a fan of the shipping containers. They feel cheap. But maybe it'll turn out cool?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 10:13 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Awesome. I'm still not a fan of the shipping containers. They feel cheap. But maybe it'll turn out cool?
I hope so too. From the look of it, I'm not sure why this is costing $45 million.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:31 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I hope so too. From the look of it, I'm not sure why this is costing $45 million.
Maybe they're paying a premium per blade of grass?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Maybe they're paying a premium per blade of grass?
Sort of. They apparently spared no expense on grounds maintenance facilities and equipment compared to comparable MLS facilities.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 5:12 AM

The new road going by the training facility is open now. I'm actually surprised at how sprawling and impressive the campus is. And the incorporation of the pond is really turning out well. You just get the sense that this area will be absolutely crawling with people soon.

Larger version: https://i.imgur.com/pTypXcf.jpg

Signage is up as well.

Larger version: https://i.imgur.com/Egq8wRy.jpg

Larger version: https://i.imgur.com/FVJieqi.jpg

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 3:54 AM

It looks like the team started working out here today, moving over from Concordia University. I'm not going to post all the pictures and videos here but here are the links:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM-clFwlUI2/
https://twitter.com/StDavidsPC/statu...67343182069771
https://twitter.com/nicholaslmartin/...900160/photo/1
https://www.instagram.com/p/CM-dM8Zlody/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 1:58 PM
クラブトクヨ

Yup! all the players I follow were there!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 3:59 AM

The ribbon-cutting event took place today. So it's officially open.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNJCkTpljtK/

But still work taking place around the performance center.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin