HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 9:07 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I thought the Livable Oak Hill Parkway vision was a better solution. Incidentally, it was the original Oak Hill Parkway before TxDOT co-opted the name for their highway expansion. It is not a parkway!

http://www.saveoakhill.org/livable-oak-hill/
I'd forgotten about that one!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 10:03 PM

That plan's not bad, but it still involves building a six lane elevated highway in the exact same place as TXDOT's plan and building a new road through the greenbelt / two existing shopping centers. The offramps also look incredibly short (although it's just a sketch) and the actual "Y" interchange at 71/290 in their plan wouldn't be much better than the current for traffic flow. The only real benefit seems to be the trail along Williamson Creek, which looks nicer than the one TXDOT has planned, but not significantly so. The rest of the "Livable" part of the plan includes new dense development on the new "Oak Hill Parkway" road they propose - but Save Oak Hill also advocates against CodeNEXT, which would rezone the shopping centers at the Y to support that dense development.

It's also funny how their website complains about the TXDOT plan "sandwiching Williamson Creek between two bridges," while their proposal includes four.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:53 PM

Walnut Creek Metro Station

I see Parmer as the nearest, but will anything specifically "stop" at WCMP? Gold line?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I see Parmer as the nearest, but will anything specifically "stop" at WCMP? Gold line?
Unlikely, it’s just not a source of ridership and doesn’t justify the expense of a station. Not only the large capital expense, but the incremental increase in operating costs and slowing down the trips of everyone traveling to/from further north.

Improving bike/pedestrian facilities on Lamar will help people access it from Parmer/Braker stations.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I doubt we ever see a major stop at the park entrance itself, but the Red Line will provide access to the Northern Walnut Creek Trail via the Red Line Trail after it gets built.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:44 PM

CapMetro's presentation on stations/station locations is up.

I'm still reading through it, but it seems notable that they still seem to be leaning to a Blue Line station on Trinity (so connectivity to Rainey will have to be improved bike/pedestrian).

https://www.capmetroengage.org/sites...lish_cc508.pdf

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:53 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

I'm still reading through it, but it seems notable that they still seem to be leaning to a Blue Line station on Trinity (so connectivity to Rainey will have to be improved bike/pedestrian).

Thanks for sharing the pdf.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

That's a bummer. I was hoping they would use the parking lot of the MACC as a station but it's complicated to get over there and then make it back.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 11:54 PM

I hadn’t heard about this before, but looks like construction has begun on a 6 mile extension of 183a into Liberty Hill.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...-liberty-hill/

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 12:21 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I hadn’t heard about this before, but looks like construction has begun on a 6 mile extension of 183a into Liberty Hill.

So, I should buy all the abandoned buildings in downtown Florence now?

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 1:01 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
So, I should buy all the abandoned buildings in downtown Florence now?
Florence may actually boom within the next 30 years, but it isn’t on 183 and it won’t be because of 183.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
That's a bummer. I was hoping they would use the parking lot of the MACC as a station but it's complicated to get over there and then make it back.
There will be plenty of pedestrian connections across the creek from Cesar Chavez to the Rainey 'peninsula' through the planned mega projects and Waterloo Greenway improvements.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 3:51 PM

Quote:

I am surprised nothing has been done to expand Ronald Reagan north of 29. Not to mention adding a third lane to Parmer north of 620/45.
The growth out that way is crazy.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 10:08 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
I am surprised nothing has been done to expand Ronald Reagan north of 29. Not to mention adding a third lane to Parmer north of 620/45.
The growth out that way is crazy.
I’m surprised there still hasn’t been talk of upgrading Parmer between 620/45 and 130 to controlled access yet. It would be relatively easy and painless to do so yet make our entire freeway system more efficient.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I’m surprised there still hasn’t been talk of upgrading Parmer between 620/45 and 130 to controlled access yet. It would be relatively easy and painless to do so yet make our entire freeway system more efficient.
That is definitely a good idea.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That is definitely a good idea.
Do it exactly like what was done with MoPac through the central city without access roads at all.

Direct connectors with 620/45.

A small modified cloverleaf interchange at Amberglen a la MoPac at 38th.

Cut off access to Camden Amber Oaks, Briarwick, Sage Grouse, and all properties All properties on this second have primary access points elsewhere except for CubeSmart, but they have an alternative ingress/egress.

An exit to a standard interchange at Anderson Mill. ROW acquisition would be minimal. Build mainlanes of traffic above Anderson Mill.

Exercise minimal ROW acquisition at Tamayo to build an interchange similar to MoPac at Westover. Same at Parmer and Dallas and Corpus Christi.

Parmer and McNeil can accommodate a standard interchange with the mainlanes built over McNeil.

Close off access to Melrose Trail.

A set of small modified cloverleaf interchanges split between the two Riata/Legendary interchanges. Because this is a circle, full interchanges at both at not necessary. Cut off access to Delcour by building a bridge over mainlanes to the entrance of the Stone Oak apartments and/or slightly depressing the mainlanes of traffic beneath grade.

Cut off access entirely to Europa, Adelphi, and Ganymede.

At Amherst and Silver Creek, do a pair of small standard interchanges with an early north/westbound exit doubling as a short access road for access to Tamarack and the medical/church facilities on the north side of the road.

Simply relocate the access roads of MoPac underneath Parmer, get rid of the lights at Parmer and their intersection with Parmer, build direct connectors from westbound Parmer to southbound MoPac and from northbound MoPac to westbound Parmer. Use the current access road approach to create an unsignalized uninterrupted northbound MoPac to eastbound Parmer connection.

Get rid of the light and remove access at the parking lots to the east of MoPac.

Between Walnut Creek and MoPac depress the mainlanes of traffic beneath grade with overpasses at (but NOT intersections with, a la MoPac and Hancock) Tomanet, Lamplight Village, and Scofield Farms, cut off access to Silver Spur, Limerick, Rampart, Crossfield, Willow Wild, Willow Bend, and Rolling Hill, and build an entrance/exit pair for a standard interchange at Metric.

Lamar/35 presents the most complicated set of interchanges, but east of 35 you have enough ROW to build a standard freeway with access roads.

Personally, I’d rebuild Parmer underneath Lamar and 35 with a set of direct flyovers to 35, no 35 access road interaction at all, and for Lamar, a set of entrances and exits entirely separate from that of 35.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 12:54 AM

Excellent stuff. Though it makes me wonder if you’ve built a scale model in your garage.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Excellent stuff. Though it makes me wonder if you’ve built a scale model in your garage.
I’ve built a scale model in cities:skylines. Unfortunately, my computer recently suffered the dreaded screen of death. The right of way is obviously most narrow between MoPac and 35, ranging from 160 to 180 feet. Once you account for the railroad ROW in MoPac, this isn’t any different from that corridor (which ranges from 120 to 180 after subtracting the railroad’s 60-70 feet, between Enfield and 2222).

East of 35, a design reminiscent of the 183 viaduct partially elevated over access roads would accomplish access to the various apartment complexes with braided entrance and exit ramps for all the major roads (MacAllen Pass, Harris Ridge, Dessau, Samsung, Harris Branch) with a set of full flyovers to 130 and 290 East.

Also: can we talk 360? Limited access the entire length with zero signals and no access roads. Unobtrusive interchanges where necessary. TXDOT like to always go big, which they’ve tried to do here but neighborhood opposition to the design killed it). Sometimes going small is better and can be just as effective. And 79? Full freeway outside of 130 and parkway (a la Lakeshore in Chicago or Allen/Memorial in Houston) between 35 and 130.

Look, I’m all for public transit and road diets and pedestrian friendliness where it is necessary and appropriate and helpful. I’m also for freeways and toll roads where they are necessary, appropriate, and helpful.

Last edited by wwmiv; May 2, 2021 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 5:45 PM

I say all of this about Parmer simply because as East Austin and Robinson Ranch explode with residential growth over the next three decades, and Apple, Samsung, Tesla, and others continue to locate jobs largely only accessible by vehicles in this corridor, there is zero way that Parmer (especially at its junctions with existing limited access corridors) as it currently stands will be able to accommodate the additional traffic demand. I doubt even the DDI at 35 will function properly in 10 years.

Edit: ... and as the Domain continue to attract employers and additional development draws commuters from region wide. This is the primary East/West major road with adequate ROW adjacent to the Domain, which we are marketing as our second downtown. Well, downtowns have major limited access corridors that converge upon them. The Domain aspect applies also to 360, which feeds directly into the Domain area.

Last edited by wwmiv; May 2, 2021 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 8:34 PM

Have several thoughts about the Parmer corridor as I've lived in Rattan Creek for 27 years. Without time to delve into many, my primary concern would be the addition of overpasses and the resulting noise. I doubt any neighborhood along central Mopac likes the traffic-noise and would have preferred underpasses if redone. I feel very sorry for those who live in the blocks right off Parmer if they build up, and the noise would e/affect the entire neighborhood. Perhaps the price of progress, but I hope they go the extra mile to preserve quality of life everywhere in Austin and the immediate ETJ in the face of unprecedented growth. Better yet, trains.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin