HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
elitist bikers? Want safe spaces to commute in? How dare they! Those elitist motorists wont have to share the road as much? OH no! Fuck that. hyukhyukhyuk
Yep. Elitist is someone thinking only their 3,000+ lb vehicle deserves access to a road.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Yep. Elitist is someone thinking only their 3,000+ lb vehicle deserves access to a road.

No one said this lol....Nice try tho. 3000 lb vehicles dominate the roads. If your so against Vehicles...I want you to ride your bike 365 days a year lol.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 4:44 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
No one said this lol....Nice try tho. 3000 lb vehicles dominate the roads. If your so against Vehicles...I want you to ride your bike 365 days a year lol.
How is a $2000 bike elitist while a $100,000 Ram 3500 is not? lol

I also bike 365 days a year but also own a cheap car (I drive sometimes) - we need more bike infratructure.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 4:57 PM
Change is good

Quote:

*you're

Who said anyone is against vehicles? A bike is a vehicle.

Love these 'tough guys' that get triggered by things like bike lanes, rainbows, equality, and and such.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 5:07 PM

I love the fact that we have different options these days for transportation: walking, cycling, e-scootering, blading, bus, LRT, private vehicle, taxi, Uber.

Anyone who doesn't believe in this and is against this - well, I'm sorry but I'm afraid you're still stuck in the 20th century.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I love the fact that we have different options these days for transportation: walking, cycling, e-scootering, blading, bus, LRT, private vehicle, taxi, Uber.

Anyone who doesn't believe in this and is against this - well, I'm sorry but I'm afraid you're still stuck in the 20th century.
That's our Black Star

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I drive lots and I bike as much as possible. What's wrong with choice? My health has improved, my 14 month old enjoys being on the bike with me vs. being stuck in a car seat.

Of course cars dominate the roads, that's why it's so congested.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
*you're

Who said anyone is against vehicles? A bike is a vehicle.

Love these 'tough guys' that get triggered by things like bike lanes, rainbows, equality, and and such.
Everytime I try to bring up the concept that at the end of the day, we're trying to get people and goods around it blows the anti-transportation-choice people's minds. We're not moving around cars, not bikes and scooters, not trains and buses. People and goods. The city is getting that fortunately and working towards accommodating all the ways people and goods get around.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I drive lots and I bike as much as possible. What's wrong with choice? My health has improved, my 14 month old enjoys being on the bike with me vs. being stuck in a car seat.

Of course cars dominate the roads, that's why it's so congested.

Obviously nothing wrong with choice. Never did I say anything different!! I love biking also. But I'm responsible and courteous when I ride. I rock out a bell and use it when I'm approaching people from behind...unlike 99% of bikers I encounter, and have respect for people and my own safety when I'm riding. I can tell you from taking my dog to numerous dog parks in Edmonton or driving everyday 7 days a week in this city that most of the biking populous doesn't give a flying shit about anything around them. Drivers these days are pretty much the same. When my dad was teaching me how to drive many moons ago he would always say...."You always have to drive for others and keep your head on a damn swivel" And this also goes for bikers these days. lol.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 9:13 AM
In Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^ha.

It's a bit of a mess, but really comes down to a lack of attention by drivers.
Motorists are people as are all of us. I try to pay attention, as a lifelong pedestrian, but I amply recognize that motorists are confronted by a bewildering buffet of turn signals, scramble intersections, one-way streets that sometimes blossom into all-way roads, restricted right turns, and now a slow tramway pushing awkwardly down the middle of the street towards Lewis Farms.

Should motorists have engaged more actively during that phase? Were any of them made aware of the changes which are now irretrievably baked into the flawed design?

Maybe include a brochure with the 8% property tax boost.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 1:41 PM

^ Or maybe they are just bad drivers?

Ever driven in European cities?

This is nothing compared to that.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 1:47 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Obviously nothing wrong with choice. Never did I say anything different!! I love biking also. But I'm responsible and courteous when I ride. I rock out a bell and use it when I'm approaching people from behind...unlike 99% of bikers I encounter, and have respect for people and my own safety when I'm riding. I can tell you from taking my dog to numerous dog parks in Edmonton or driving everyday 7 days a week in this city that most of the biking populous doesn't give a flying shit about anything around them. Drivers these days are pretty much the same. When my dad was teaching me how to drive many moons ago he would always say...."You always have to drive for others and keep your head on a damn swivel" And this also goes for bikers these days. lol.
So you agree then that the best approach is to build a separate network of bike lanes? Seems like you're flipflopping around again, par for the course.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 9:22 AM
In Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
^ Or maybe they are just bad drivers?

Ever driven in European cities?

This is nothing compared to that.
I've heard this argument a lot. It's not the design that's at fault but that motorists, cyclists and pedestrians just have to be lot smarter.

Is that the official policy of our urban planners and city council?

"You're not really that good at getting where you want and we're not going to help so just run for your lives and hope you don't wind up a casualty because Europe."

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 5:14 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I have to say that when downtown is in transition, the traffic situation is deeply in flux. There does need to be a coherent philosophy when it comes to placement and direction that is currently lacking.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:01 AM
In Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I have to say that when downtown is in transition, the traffic situation is deeply in flux. There does need to be a coherent philosophy when it comes to placement and direction that is currently lacking.
Downtown is dead except for party people and homeless people. It wasn't always this way. This was either a deliberate plan or the professional planners aren't as clever as they thought they were.

Our vibrant residential "core" is within striking distance of the Henday. That's where all the development is now--Leduc, Beaumont, Fort Saskatchewan. Downtown Edmonton is all about conversion from commercial and retail to unaffordable residential.

And none of those people living in Stantec or the other towers will ever use the LRT. Period.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:45 AM
Community Guy

^maybe the most mishguided comment in a long, long time?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Last edited by Coldrsx; Apr 29, 2024 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 1:53 PM
Change is good

he's not wrong, CanmoreRsx.

It's just that you've been out of touch for so long;

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:26 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
he's not wrong, CanmoreRsx.

It's just that you've been out of touch for so long;
He's not 100% right though, I know people 'living in Stantec or the other towers' that definitely use the LRT regularly.

It's also decently busy Downtown during the workday - people still work there, not just 'party people and the homeless'.

Buddy probably typed that all from a McMansion in Windermere lol

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:58 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilicho View Post
Downtown is dead except for party people and homeless people. It wasn't always this way. This was either a deliberate plan or the professional planners aren't as clever as they thought they were.

Our vibrant residential "core" is within striking distance of the Henday. That's where all the development is now--Leduc, Beaumont, Fort Saskatchewan. Downtown Edmonton is all about conversion from commercial and retail to unaffordable residential.

And none of those people living in Stantec or the other towers will ever use the LRT. Period.
Downtown isn't dead. There's vehicles making mistakes and colliding into others there.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 7:39 PM
Community Guy

@AdamMacVicar
NEW: Premier Danielle Smith announces the province is launching a passenger rail master plan to prepare for a rail network across Alberta.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton