HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Hudson Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Detroit Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 2:12 AM
New Yorker for life

Michigan’s second tallest skyscraper reaches construction milestone

Apr. 11, 2024,

https://www.mlive.com/news/2024/04/m...milestone.html

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 1:27 PM

a rare topping out ceremony when the construction actually has topped out

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Michigan’s second tallest skyscraper reaches construction milestone
"Michigan's second tallest" lol.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 4:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
"Michigan's second tallest" lol.
Or how about "The Midwest's 8th tallest building (outside of Chicago)"?

Anything to avoid mentioning the dreaded "D" word, right?

Anyway, very awesome that DETROIT'S 2nd tallest building has officially topped out now!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 12, 2024 at 4:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 9:34 PM

Kind of a lame name. Oh well.

Hudson's site development gets a new name

Quote:
Bedrock’s skyscraper project on the former J.L. Hudson’s department store site has its official name.

Dan Gilbert's real estate firm posted on social media Friday that it has named the development Hudson’s Detroit.

The development on the site of the former J.L. Hudson department store will be known as Hudson's Detroit, Bedrock said Friday.
“The legacy lives on. Defined by Detroit, Built for the World. The name Hudson’s has graced this site since 1891 and we’re not planning on changing it now. Introducing, Hudson’s Detroit,” the post read on Instagram. Crain's Detroit Business first reported the announcement.

The post was accompanied by a video of development's construction and included an image of the site’s past as the Hudson's store, which was demolished in 1998.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 9:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ I think the name is great!

The project has been referred to by the "Hudson's" moniker for like a decade now, and adding "Detroit" to the official name only makes it that much better, IMO.

Outstanding pic in that article too, framed between a pre-war classic and mid-century classic.

And now a 21st century classic in the making rising above.

I really like skylines with layers. They're my favorite.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 11:52 PM

Last edited by Slappy san; Apr 12, 2024 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Answered

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ I think the name is great!

The project has been referred to by the "Hudson's" moniker for like a decade now, and adding "Detroit" to the official name only makes it that much better, IMO.

Outstanding pic in that article too, framed between a pre-war classic and mid-century classic.

And now a 21st century classic in the making rising above.

I really like skylines with layers. They're my favorite.
Downtown Detroit, with its wheel and spoke street plan, offers a tremendous variety of oddly angled view sheds that make the city look completely different depending on what street you’re on.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 6:27 PM

The view from the Book Tower rooftop bar is really stunning. Downtown looks like Manhattan or something, especially with a new terracotta clad luxury-scraper. Love it.

Now all that's left outside is to see what the lighting will look like.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 6:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

One of the best "urban hole" filling projects in the nation in recent memory.

Source: https://twitter.com/crainsdetroit/st...643897/photo/1

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:12 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
GM to plan move from RenCen to Dan Gilbert’s new Hudson’s tower

By David Welch, Bloomberg Credit: Dean Storm/Crain Communications Inc.

General Motors Co. is planning to move its downtown Detroit headquarters up Woodward Avenue to the Hudson’s Detroit building, a new 1.5 million-square-foot project being developed by billionaire Dan Gilbert, chairman of mortgage lender Rocket Companies Inc.
Can’t say I saw this one coming.

Source [paywalled]:

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...s-hudsons-site

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Can’t say I saw this one coming.

Source [paywalled]:

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...s-hudsons-site
I'm not at all surprised.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:11 PM

On the one hand, I think the expectation was a company like Google or Amazon would fill up a significant amount of the new office space.

On the other hand, the Ren Cen is still a 1970s building and I think most of the renovations of recent years was just to the atrium. The actual office space is probably still outdated as heck (at least back to the 90s/2000s when GM moved in).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 7:40 PM
New Yorker for life

https://wdet.org/2024/04/15/ap-sourc...ssance-center/

GM to move Detroit HQ to new downtown tower, plans to redevelop iconic Renaissance Center
GM CEO Mary Barra and Bedrock Chairman Dan Gilbert will attend a news conference scheduled for Monday at 4:30 p.m. at Hudson’s tower in downtown Detroit.

April 15, 2024

Quote:
….. Bedrock, which owns multiple office buildings downtown, will join GM in studying redevelopment of the seven-building Renaissance Center now owned by GM, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the plans have not been formally announced.

GM CEO Mary Barra and and Bedrock Chairman Dan Gilbert will attend the news conference at the site of a new tower Bedrock is building on the site of the old Hudson’s department store in the heart of downtown.

The person said that GM’s main office would move to the Hudson’s tower.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 7:57 PM

Interesting. I imagine the RenCen will be converted to residential - it's small floorplates for modern office uses make it pretty obsolete and would be helpful in a residential conversion.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 8:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Interesting. I imagine the RenCen will be converted to residential - it's small floorplates for modern office uses make it pretty obsolete and would be helpful in a residential conversion.
The central tower of the ren cen is already hotel.

Are the floor plate dimensions of the four outrigger office towers unusually small?

If so, that could be a gargantuan residential conversion project.

At the same time, awhile ago someone here at SSP said that some/all of the ren cen might be demolished if GM ever left.

That seems crazy town to me, but who knows.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 15, 2024 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
On the one hand, I think the expectation was a company like Google or Amazon would fill up a significant amount of the new office space.

On the other hand, the Ren Cen is still a 1970s building and I think most of the renovations of recent years was just to the atrium. The actual office space is probably still outdated as heck (at least back to the 90s/2000s when GM moved in).
Ren Cen office space actually isn't bad at all judging from these pictures. (idk how updated the floors GM was using are though)

https://claytonstudio.com/ten-years-...etroit-office/

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, floorplans aren't too big or too small, the views are great. There's plenty of natural light, the complex has amenities. The only real issue is that connectivity with the rest of downtown is bad. I think GM is just really bad at property management and they have no vision. Bedrock is extremely good at this. So hopefully that helps. I don't see a reason to resort to converting it to other uses just yet.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 8:31 PM

Quote:

Are the floor plate dimensions of the four outrigger office towers unusually small?

At the same time, awhile ago someone here at SSP said that some/all of the ren cen might be demolished if GM ever left.

No they're not unusually small. Not as big as new towers are built with. But nothing that would be some kind of tenant deal-breaker.

Whoever said that is obviously delusional lol. Would be insanity and crazy expensive to demolish perfectly good office space just because it's had troubles due to the pandemic for only a few short years. This is still one of the largest office complexes in the world.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 8:38 PM

Quote:

Are the floor plates dimensions of the four outrigger office towers unusually small?

I feel like I remember seeing some floor plans somewhere but I think the floor plates in the Ren Cen is about what's typical for any Class A office space.

I think the issue is that GM, for lack of a better word, is a bloated company and post-Covid, they've had to restructure how they organize their employees.

According to a Freep article, 5,000 employees are assigned to work at the Ren Cen, but less than 900 actually work in-person. Whatever the actual number, it means there's a lot of unused floor space in the Ren Cen although it's technically not "vacant".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
The only real issue is that connectivity with the rest of downtown is bad. I think GM is just really bad at property management and they have no vision. Bedrock is extremely good at this. So hopefully that helps. I don't see a reason to resort to converting it to other uses just yet.
That also probably plays a part. Hudson's couldn't be any more centrally located cause who wants to walk across a giant parking lot or cross a 10-lane road just to go to lunch?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 8:46 PM

I was expecting a large tenant to relocate from the suburbs to Hudson's but I think in the end this will be a good thing for both properties.

I really hope this means we'll see construction on all of the RenCen's riverfront parking lots. They've always been an embarrassment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction