HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:21 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
From what I've heard....apparently, 90% of the site prep work was done last year, which involved removing tens of thousands of tons of dirt and bedrock. They needed to know how far down they could go, in order to finalize the design of the building. There's only going to be one level below grade since the bedrock on site was so thick.

I guess the next steps are to finish the site work and construct a shoring wall.
If true, I think this is a highly unusual practice. This is typically why developers have bore samples done before undertaking the civil design/work.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
If true, I think this is a highly unusual practice. This is typically why developers have bore samples done before undertaking the civil design/work.
Perhaps that changed when they added the office component at the end of last year.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:59 PM

Any site action today? Weed control?

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Any site action today? Weed control?
Did you miss the giant picture from like 5 posts back?

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 7:36 PM

Déjà vu

Personally, I would really need to see large quantities of dirt being removed from the site, rather than seeing it just pushed around...again.

When I see numerous dump trucks lined up and more material deliveries being made, I’ll feel a little better about this latest iteration of the past. For now, it feels a little bit like Déjà vu.

What happened to the excavator anyway?

Just saying

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:03 PM

What's happing project-wise today? Installing a crane base?

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
What's happing project-wise today? Installing a crane base?
No, no activity at all, at least when I passed about 1230...

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 7:40 PM

I was just making a lame joke. But for the first time in 5 years, I think with an office component it could get funding IF there are no permitting hitches, a highly competent general contractor engaged, and no chintzy value engineering etc. With this crew that's quite an order.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Personally, I would really need to see large quantities of dirt being removed from the site, rather than seeing it just pushed around...again.

When I see numerous dump trucks lined up and more material deliveries being made, I’ll feel a little better about this latest iteration of the past. For now, it feels a little bit like Déjà vu.

What happened to the excavator anyway?

Just saying

That big hole that's there now was not from dirt just being pushed around. You may not have noticed from last time, but there were weeks of digging (not dirt pushing) and lines of dump trucks REMOVING dirt and rock from the site. I drive by there twice a day to/from work, so unless you did too, you may have missed all of that. The building is only one level below grade, so the vast majority of the digging and dirt/rock removal is already done.

As of when I drove by yesterday after work around 6pm, both the excavator and the bulldozer were still there, and progress was made from earlier that morning.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 12:53 PM

For a project of that size one excavator/bulldozer is insane. Doesn’t have logic or reason. Just an act from a construction standpoint. It’s literally a needle in a field of haystacks.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
It’s literally a needle in a field of haystacks.
Literally?

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:05 PM

Quote:
That big hole that's there now was not from dirt just being pushed around. You may not have noticed from last time, but there were weeks of digging (not dirt pushing) and lines of dump trucks REMOVING dirt and rock from the site. I drive by there twice a day to/from work, so unless you did too, you may have missed all of that. The building is only one level below grade, so the vast majority of the digging and dirt/rock removal is already done.

As of when I drove by yesterday after work around 6pm, both the excavator and the bulldozer were still there, and progress was made from earlier that morning.
This is good to know!

Maybe you could be our "eyes & ears" for that project since you drive by there each day!

I would like to see this project move forward - even though I would have liked to of seen the Atlanta Symphony Hall on that site - but glad to see a project of this scale there too.

Since I'm on the subject, where would the ASO build a new symphony hall now anyway, since that prime site is now being used for other development?
Do they have any vacant land left in the vicinity? (maybe a subject for a different forum)

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:09 PM
Just a dude

So crazy how this one building has everyone going crazy, simply because it's a decent height?

We wait and we watch

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Since I'm on the subject, where would the ASO build a new symphony hall now anyway, since that prime site is now being used for other development?
Do they have any vacant land left in the vicinity? (maybe a subject for a different forum)

ASO would like to build a hall on the vehicle drop off area at their current site, right at the corner of 15th and Peachtree. The hall would face the intersection, and they would likely demolish a portion of their existing building to make room for the expanded building. I think this is on their 20 year plan though, and there is no immediate plans to do this. It is on their campus master plan for Woodruff arts center.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 4:26 PM

Quote:
For a project of that size one excavator/bulldozer is insane. Doesn’t have logic or reason. Just an act from a construction standpoint. It’s literally a needle in a field of haystacks.
Hasn’t the logic already been explained to us? This isn’t the start of construction. This is completion of the site work (90% of which is already done) and building the shoring wall.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 4:53 PM

Do they even have their permits yet lol? We keep talking about them being finished with site work, but do they have legitimate permits to start construction soon? I imagine with design changes, they would have to resubmit paperwork for a permit.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Hasn’t the logic already been explained to us? This isn’t the start of construction. This is completion of the site work (90% of which is already done) and building the shoring wall.
You are right! My bad! That shore wall sure will be moving quick now with 2 pieces of equipment on site. Lol! Thanks for helping me remember how much has been completed per above.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
You are right! My bad! That shore wall sure will be moving quick now with 2 pieces of equipment on site. Lol! Thanks for helping me remember how much has been completed per above.
Okay, so what would be the logical amount of equipment to complete the site work and the shoring wall? I’m genuinely interested. You’re in construction, I take it?

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Do they even have their permits yet lol? We keep talking about them being finished with site work, but do they have legitimate permits to start construction soon? I imagine with design changes, they would have to resubmit paperwork for a permit.
It was reported back in December that the city’s Bureau of Planning approved the Special Administrative Permit green lighting the design changes which included the office component.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 12:50 AM

Today I went down to the Opus site on foot. Check out what's on the construction trailer! You can see where the two cranes are going to be positioned, and their swing radius!

I ended up going into the sales center. More on that a little later.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta