HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 1:51 PM

They should just build a space port or something more useful. Those plans look......desperate.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 7:46 PM

I'll eat my shoe if this happens. No banker is going to back this.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
Yeah I suppose something like those or a Lost Pines could bring development ... but then again Lost Pines hasn't really done that. But I can't imagine it being anything like the scale of a La Cantera or the JW HC in SA. It certainly doesn't look like it in the rendering.

And I'm still trying to figure out where all the racing fans would park their cars, since this thing would virtually eliminate Lot F - the biggest lot at COTA. No more racing?
They can buy my 25 acres just about 500 yards west on McAngus Road.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I'll eat my shoe if this happens. No banker is going to back this.
You are most likely correct.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 9:06 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

He (Epstein) is desperate. Desperate to turn this money-pit into something he can sell. He probably couldn't even get a loan to redo the entire racing track (which it sounds like is critically needed).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
They can buy my 25 acres just about 500 yards west on McAngus Road.
S'up, AB?!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
S'up, AB?!
Nothing at all with developer interest on McAngus.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Nothing at all with developer interest on McAngus.
That sucks. Before the track was built, I really thought it was going to be a boon for the area around it. Sadly, I couldn't have been more wrong. Good thing I didn't buy property. Of course, that was back when Hellmund was involved and accordingly COTA was embracing the Elroy/Del Valle community as partners, rather than treating y'all like the enemy.

(btw, in case you hadn't already figgered it out, I'm 'wood' over at the other place)

Last edited by turn1; Feb 22, 2020 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 2:03 AM

I suspected that.

KB Homes has been pestering the landowner on my north side to sell his 50 acres @ $13,500/acre.

Dude just laughed him off.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 4:16 AM

Lexus Performance Driving School for first time adds COTA to their schedule on May 1-2 where drivers will be taught to drive the RC F, LC and GS F cars and ride along with a professional race car driver. Checked website and both days are booked up! Audi is still there with it’s driving school.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 1:57 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
That sucks. Before the track was built, I really thought it was going to be a boon for the area around it. Sadly, I couldn't have been more wrong. Good thing I didn't buy property.
I never thought any race track would bring a boon to the area around it. No where in the world has a boon town grown up around a race track, why should it be any different in Austin?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 3:33 PM
クラブトクヨ

Actually as of recent the track in Fort Worth has a ton of new development around it. Including a new hotel and outlet mall.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Actually as of recent the track in Fort Worth has a ton of new development around it. Including a new hotel and outlet mall.
Although is that because of the race track, or do those things just happen to be near it?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 4:02 PM
クラブトクヨ

There was not much there at all. They built a buccees and now it’s booming. Was it the buccees that did it? Maybe but the point is development can occur around these tracks.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 10:33 PM
Member since 2001

TMS is located at a major north Fort Worth intersection (of I-35W & TX-114). It's also just north of Alliance Airport (a FedEx minihub).

With regard to residential - that area has been growing like weeds for years. And a lot of this growth involves high net worth families. Also, major employers have taken notice and moved in to the area over the past 20+ years. In fact, Charles Schwab is moving its HQ from California to a complex near Trophy Club.

Bottomline, the area near TMS is not like the area around COTA.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
I never thought any race track would bring a boon to the area around it. No where in the world has a boon town grown up around a race track, why should it be any different in Austin?
Well, I was just wrong. I mean, I didn't expect a boomtown, but I expected it to help in some way, like in the way Silverstone has attracted tech companies. It just hasn't. There's really nothing new at all out there that's attributable to the circuit's presence.

Last edited by turn1; Feb 25, 2020 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 2:40 AM

The area around 812/973/130 is pretty trashy & “depressed”, and has been for 50 years.
Most all the development has been north of CoTA around Pierce Lane over the recent decades.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:52 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Well, I was just wrong. I mean, I didn't expect a boomtown, but I expected it to help in some way, like in the way Silverstone has attracted tech companies. It just hasn't. There's really nothing new at all out there that's attributable to the circuit's presence.
I really think had Tavo continued to be a major part of the circuit operations, we would be seeing a very different COTA than what we have now. There was going to be a lot more going on than what's there currently. As I think you stated a few posts back, there would have been involvement with the surrounding community such as the schools. They were planning on working with local companies with research and such. They were originally even working on some other phases behind the scenes, but alas... we will never know what additions that could have been other than rumor and innuendo. Bottom line is once Epstein had full control, everything that it could have been was out the window. He has done nothing over the years to make it worthwhile for development to move in around the track..

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:00 AM

Honestly, Tavo or not I would have never imagined Austin would host 9 F1 USGPs (including this year). I figured 3-5 when it was announced, but somehow they seem to have fulfilled almost all of the 10 year contract.

If I'm not mistaken, that means Austin has had the third most F1 races in the USA behind Watkins Glen and Indianapolis... is that correct?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I really think had Tavo continued to be a major part of the circuit operations, we would be seeing a very different COTA than what we have now. There was going to be a lot more going on than what's there currently. As I think you stated a few posts back, there would have been involvement with the surrounding community such as the schools. They were planning on working with local companies with research and such. They were originally even working on some other phases behind the scenes, but alas... we will never know what additions that could have been other than rumor and innuendo. Bottom line is once Epstein had full control, everything that it could have been was out the window. He has done nothing over the years to make it worthwhile for development to move in around the track..
Yep. That's what I was alluding to. Nice catch!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin