HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:38 PM

That money must be a godsend for the teams that get it... I'm sure the first season was immensely expensive given all of the startup costs and the fact that the fanbase/corporate sponsorship base is still in a bit of a nascent stage, no different than your typical first season of a pro league. There were probably some significant losses incurred as a result.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:40 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That money must be a godsend for the teams that get it... I'm sure the first season was immensely expensive given all of the startup costs and the fact that the fanbase/corporate sponsorship base is still in a bit of a nascent stage, no different than your typical first season of a pro league. There were probably some significant losses incurred as a result.
As was expected from the outset with owners being told ahead of league formation to expect five years of losses. Still, i'm not sure the league was expecting outgoing transfer fees of this amount so soon, but who's to know for certain.

I suppose we'll find out what the losses are like when Valour's figures are included on the Bombers' annual report in the spring.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:42 PM

^ Valour was exceptionally unlucky last season, though... I suspect they may have run up some of the more significant losses among CPL clubs.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:45 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Valour was exceptionally unlucky last season, though... I suspect they may have run up some of the more significant losses among CPL clubs.
Indeed. I imagine they lost the most out of any of the other CPL teams aside from maybe York or Edmonton. Pacific put a ton of money into Langford which would also be included in their expenses, so they'll certainly be on for a sizable loss in 2019.

Truthfully, its known that Edmonton were a big money-loser in the NASL, losing upwards of $6M while operating in that league. A lot of that came down simply to travel, as at times they were separated by thousands of kilometres from the nearest team. The Faths expected their losses in CPL to be significantly less than that of their NASL losses.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/socce...dmonton-owners

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 9:39 PM
ハルウララ

CPL's expansion to Ottawa confirmed today:

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-pr...team-to-ottawa

Toronto, ON (January 29, 2020) – The Canadian Premier League officially announced today that Ottawa, Ontario has been awarded a CPL expansion team – the League’s first.

Set to begin play in April 2020 at renowned TD Place in Ottawa – which sits on the Unesco World Heritage Site, the Rideau Canal – the expansion bid was led by Club Atlético de Madrid. One of the most prominent brands in the global soccer market, Atletico is one of the giants of Europe while competing in one of the game’s best competitions, La Liga.

Canada’s capital is the latest city to join the Canadian Premier Leagues vision of being a truly coast-to-coast League. The city’s inclusion in the second season of the CPL brings with it regional rivalries, greater diversity, and representation as the League continues on its mission to bring football to all Canadian fans and supporters across the country.

“We are thrilled to welcome Ottawa as the Canadian Premier League’s 8th Club and Club Atlético de Madrid as our newest owners of the Ottawa club,” said Commissioner David Clanachan. “We are very excited to launch the club with one of the world’s most iconic and successful soccer brands and look forward to them taking to the pitch for the 2020 CPL season.”

Club Atlético de Madrid’s leadership includes President Enrique Cerezo and CEO Miguel Ángel Gil Marín. Coach Diego Pablo Simeone leads a team of world stars that includes Jan Oblak, Koke, João Félix, Diego Costa and Saúl.

“We are delighted to be part of such an exciting project in an amazing country. We would like to bring our expertise to a very strong and structured league and will work together with the CPL and the rest of the clubs to contribute to the growth of Canadian soccer. We want Ottawa soccer fans to be able to feel proud of belonging to the Atlético de Madrid family so we can start sharing our values with them,” said Atlético de Madrid´s CEO Miguel Ángel Gil Marín.

Club Atlético de Madrid’s ownership is pleased to announce Ottawa businessman, Jeff Hunt as a strategical partner. Familiar to Ottawa sports ownership, as owner of the Ottawa Redblacks football club of the Canadian Football League and the Ottawa 67’s hockey club of the Ontario Hockey League. Hunt brings proven success from both local teams and will be a key asset to the Ottawa team as they prepare to launch.

Hunt along with Club Atlético de Madrid’s ownership and CPL Commissioner, David Clanachan will be in Ottawa at a public unveiling event to be held at TD Place on February 12.

----

With the team joining for April 2020 we'll have a much more balanced schedule and hopefully fewer midweek games as a result. The league had three different schedules prepared for 2020 based on Ottawa's potential addition to the league.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 6:08 PM
ハルウララ

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 6:58 PM

Looks a lot like Captain America's shield.

https://www.amazon.com/Officially-Li.../dp/B003JMFARE

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 7:04 PM

What is Athletics in French? It should be that instead of Atletico for some originality and relevance.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 7:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
What is Athletics in French? It should be that instead of Atletico for some originality and relevance.
I appreciate the thought but not sure it would sound good.

"Athlétique" exists but it's more of an adjective. In the plural you add an S to make it "athlétiques".

Not sure it fits for a soccer team, though sometimes you hear sports media people refer to "les Athlétiques d'Oakland".

Also "Athletics" if you're talking about track and field, is "athlétisme" in French.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 7:20 PM

Hm is Atletico an adjective? Im not even sure what language that is (my bad).
I like the Ottawa Athletiques its got a ring to it even if it doesnt make total sense grammatically.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 7:42 PM

Seems pretty cool to me. I wasn't following the Great Ottawa Soccer Debate but I don't see how staying part of the USL would be better than this.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 7:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Hm is Atletico an adjective? Im not even sure what language that is (my bad).
I like the Ottawa Athletiques its got a ring to it even if it doesnt make total sense grammatically.
The full name in Spanish of Atlético Madrid is "Club Atlético de Madrid".

So Atlético is an adjective.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 7:51 PM

Maybe it's not a bad thing to just stick with the Spanish name. That way we don't have to grapple with the complication of Senators/Sénateurs, Red Blacks/Rouge et Noir, Parliament Station Parlement crap.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 8:29 PM

Ya I guess. Its just another copy of European teams like FC and Real.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 8:30 PM

And i should have known Atletico was Spanish I am well aware of the 2 teams of Madrid.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 8:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Maybe it's not a bad thing to just stick with the Spanish name. That way we don't have to grapple with the complication of Senators/Sénateurs, Red Blacks/Rouge et Noir, Parliament Station Parlement crap.
That makes sense.

I doubt a name that sounds resolutely French with no English equivalent would be a winner in that market. Spanish is neutral.

Ottawa is a majority anglophone city by a good margin, and while it did go through a fairly long era of fetishizing many things French (that's when buildings like Place de Ville, L'Esplanade Laurier, La Promenade, Place Bell, etc. got their names), that era came to an end around 1990.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That makes sense.

I doubt a name that sounds resolutely French with no English equivalent would be a winner in that market. Spanish is neutral.

Ottawa is a majority anglophone city by a good margin, and while it did go through a fairly long era of fetishizing many things French (that's when buildings like Place de Ville, L'Esplanade Laurier, La Promenade, Place Bell, etc. got their names), that era came to an end around 1990.
With the completion of the very anglophone Constitution Square, Heritage Place and the World Exchange Plaza (ok, maybe we have to go back to 85'-86').

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:06 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Ya I guess. Its just another copy of European teams like FC and Real.
The difference being that Atletico Ottawa is directly owned by Atletico Madrid, unlike say Real Salt Lake who are American-owned.

Quote:
Official bilingualism works so well that either official language is a worse choice than what we end up with.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:12 PM

I think being in the CPL will have a much better result than the USL for Ottawa - why play second tier American cities when you can play Canadian cities and build actual rivalries

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
With the completion of the very anglophone Constitution Square, Heritage Place and the World Exchange Plaza (ok, maybe we have to go back to 85'-86').
I remember back in the 80s the Rideau Centre's branding was "Rendez-vous Rideau" (though admittedly that's something that is easy to understand for anglos).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeLsPExJYKg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada