HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
and I hope that whatever active use this plaza has remains active after hours.
All these new jobs and still just cypress st pint and plate to handle to congregate for beers. They could use a handful of new ventures once the jobs and residences open up. Yes, CODA has a food hall, but doesn’t hurt wanting legit stand-alone watering holes.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:29 AM

Norfolk Southern

View from the connecto + 8th & West

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
All these new jobs and still just cypress st pint and plate to handle to congregate for beers. They could use a handful of new ventures once the jobs and residences open up. Yes, CODA has a food hall, but doesn’t hurt wanting legit stand-alone watering holes.
As much as I do love visiting our local food halls, I can’t help but wonder what all these nice restaurants would do for street presence if they weren’t in the food halls, but rather facing the street. It’s one thing for an old building like PCM or KSM to be fixed up and have a food hall inside, but I don’t really like to see new buildings being built with restaurants inside that don’t face the street or have signage visible from the exterior.

Out of all the CODA renderings I’ve seen, I don’t even remember seeing anything that made it clear that a food hall was there. The coffee shop at NCR is the same way. It’s open to the public, but you’d never know walking by.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I think green space in the city is great. Looks like a great place to sit and have lunch.
Of course "greenspace" (which this is not) can be great in a city . Its usually great when it is well designed, there's a reason for people to be there and its surrounded by active urbanism. But if you have too much random "greenspace" then there is no "city", or it's a city that is not as functional and active as it could be. Broad Street was an active place before they closed the road and that's why the plaza works. More often however, these kind of "greenspaces" just become beautifully landscaped dead spaces in the city and we unfortunately have many more of examples of the dead variety than of the active.

Last edited by Martinman; Dec 13, 2018 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
As much as I do love visiting our local food halls, I can’t help but wonder what all these nice restaurants would do for street presence if they weren’t in the food halls, but rather facing the street. It’s one thing for an old building like PCM or KSM to be fixed up and have a food hall inside, but I don’t really like to see new buildings being built with restaurants inside that don’t face the street or have signage visible from the exterior.

Out of all the CODA renderings I’ve seen, I don’t even remember seeing anything that made it clear that a food hall was there. The coffee shop at NCR is the same way. It’s open to the public, but you’d never know walking by.
I see college kids there all the time. So it sort works I guess

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:19 AM

Whatever happen to SLS 42 - story Midtown project. Is it dead?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
I've complained about the lack of height, but overall is it a good looking project.

However, this looks like a huge waste of space. There could be a wide plaza similar to Broad Street in Downtown. That much greenery seems unnecessary and probably won't look that great in winter.
It is foolish that they do not have a cut-through between West Ptree and Spring. One day these streets will be developed and it will be inconvenient for those walking from the marta to spring. They should have had something similar to CODA.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
It is foolish that they do not have a cut-through between West Ptree and Spring. One day these streets will be developed and it will be inconvenient for those walking from the marta to spring. They should have had something similar to CODA.
Wouldn't those students just walk on Ponce? It is a big block, but I don't think a cut through is absolutely necessary here.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 9:34 PM

Agreed. A cut through isn’t needed. That defeats the whole purpose of activating the street sidewalks. You just walk to whichever corner you are headed and walk down the street like you would on any other street.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Agreed. A cut through isn’t needed. That defeats the whole purpose of activating the street sidewalks. You just walk to whichever corner you are headed and walk down the street like you would on any other street.
So the 10th and Spring street building on the old dominoes is big enough to have a cut through, but this mega block is not?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
So the 10th and Spring street building on the old dominoes is big enough to have a cut through, but this mega block is not?
Who said it was ok or not ok. I know nothing about what you are referring. I just commented about this development not needing a cut through.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 2:57 PM
Development Spectator

It was not that long ago (5 years?) when a regular conversation on this forum would be the gap between BofA and Midtown and dreaming of a day when it was filled. Tech Square and the ancillary development has really remade the area. These recent renderings for NS look like the gap is finally closed.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
It was not that long ago (5 years?) when a regular conversation on this forum would be the gap between BofA and Midtown and dreaming of a day when it was filled. Tech Square and the ancillary development has really remade the area. These recent renderings for NS look like the gap is finally closed.
Now we just have to close the gap between BoA and SunTrust...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
Now we just have to close the gap between BoA and SunTrust...
and eastward to the EST (obviously at a smaller height/scale). Atlanta needs east/west density just as much if not more so than the north/south density.

To add, we should fatten up around the southern ends of Midtown, too. We need more than just one road's worth of linear skyline and density.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:41 AM

No More Ugly Buildings in Atlanta

Is it even possible to have design standards in Atlanta?/s

Quote:
Atlanta’s Planning Commissioner Tim Keane wants our developers and architects to step up their game. And he’s willing to hold up their projects if they don’t live up to higher quality design standards.

Already the developers of three high profile projects have revised their plans to accommodate the city by improving the plans for their developments.

For Keane, this is not a job; it’s a mission to create greater awareness of the importance of quality design on our urban environment.

“People in Atlanta don’t value design,” Keane said in a recent interview. “It’s a huge problem. I feel like people here think design is frivolous. But it is fundamental to making a better life for people.”

Keane moved to Atlanta nearly three years ago after serving as the planning commissioner for the City of Charleston, S.C.

“It was a big change for me coming from Charleston where design was seen as contributing to a better life for residents. We cared about every detail,” Keane said. “In Charleston, there was a three-step design review process to get a building approved. It was too much. Charleston was so over the top, but Atlanta is on the opposite end of the spectrum.”

“I have started to say: ‘You can’t build that. You can’t build insulting buildings in Atlanta anymore,’” Keane said. “This is not about architecture and architectural awards. It is more how architecture contributes to a better public realm.

It is his attempt to stop the development of “Mr. Potatohead” buildings – structures where architects add different design features to try to make an ugly building better. Keane would rather architects start out with a simple building design with high quality materials and amenities.

“The main point is that design is not a frivolous endeavor,” Keane said. “It is integral to a city’s development.”

This is about the city taking responsibility for the quality of architecture in Atlanta. The city has relied on zoning, but zoning doesn’t make good buildings,” Keane said “Only design can do that.”
https://saportareport.com/tim-keane-...uo1ozOBQta1A1E

It is truly a new day in this city.

445 Marietta Street

640 Peachtree Street

524 West Peachtree Street

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:40 PM

good! I was glad when I read the article. Our planning commissioner should be the one championing quality design for the city and I’ve appreciated Keanes efforts since joining the city. We can either build Atlanta into something brilliant or build it into something to be forgetten. I choose the former.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:20 PM

That is awesome!

So that was a new design for that hotel. Thankfully!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:02 PM

I love the statement "you can't build insulting buildings in Atlanta anymore". No more of the "better than a parking lot" architecture.

But I don't know if it's that no one cared about design in Atlanta or the fact that we just didn't know how to effectively demand better.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 9:20 PM

Historic Buildings to be demolished for Margaritaville Resort

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ished-for.html

Quote:
A long-planned Margaritaville development for downtown appears to be moving forward.

Two demolition permits were filed Dec. 19 in Atlanta for 152 Nassau St. and 141 Walton St., two 1920s-era buildings that would be knocked down to make room for the project.

It would bring a more than 20-story Margaritaville resort and restaurant, which would overlook downtown’s Centennial Olympic Park, according to plans submitted in May.

Wyndham Destinations and Margaritaville Vacation Club would operate the project. It would include 207 “vacation ownership units” and a two-story restaurant that occupies more than 14,000 square feet. The restaurant would front Centennial Olympic Park Drive to provide views of the park and encourage street-level activity, according to the plans.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 11:00 PM

Fuck margaritaville and that no talent ass clown that invented this genre

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta