HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:50 PM

WESTSIDE Development Thread

"Westside" Atlanta has become a major growth area in the city and I thought it would be nice to have a thread to capture all of the development news.

Tilford Yard marketed for redevelopment

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...keted-for.html

Quote:
CSX Corp. is marketing its sprawling railyard in West Midtown for a new redevelopment.

The decision comes almost a year after it selected real estate services firm Colliers International-Atlanta for guidance on a strategy for the nearly 300-acre property, Tilford Yard.

The more than 60-year-old terminal stretches just west of Marietta Road northward toward Cobb County.

Tilford Yard is just north of the 280-acre Westside Park at Bellwood Quarry and a future segment of the Atlanta Beltline. It's easy to see a possible Beltline spur one day linking the southern end of Tilford Yard to Marietta Boulevard.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Tilford Yard marketed for redevelopment

Can we get MARTA looking at this? Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a master planned community put on this property, with an implement to later add a Marta heavy rail line from Bankhead to Cobb.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Can we get MARTA looking at this? Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a master planned community put on this property, with an implement to later add a Marta heavy rail line from Bankhead to Cobb.
I live on one of the terminating streets that backs up to this terminal. I've always thought that we should look to the redevelopment of the Howard Hughes Airport in LA as an example of how to redevelop this area.

The area is now called Playa Vista:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playa_Vista,_Los_Angeles

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnihiser View Post
I live on one of the terminating streets that backs up to this terminal. I've always thought that we should look to the redevelopment of the Howard Hughes Airport in LA as an example of how to redevelop this area.

The area is now called Playa Vista:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playa_Vista,_Los_Angeles
Playa Vista is an interesting area. I was just in L.A. last month and visited this site as my company has an office here. It felt like a great area for day workers, but i'm not sure how fun it would be to live there. There are new luxury apartments around the mixed-used developments there with some generic retail, but it all felt very..transient, for lack of a better term. It didn't feel like a real neighborhood, just one designed to entertain people who didn't want to commit to living in the neighborhood for more than a year or two. And it was the least pedestrian friendly area of the city I've been to, which is saying a lot because it's L.A. I walked from one side of W Jefferson to the other to get into Whole Foods and couldn't figure out how to scale the parking deck to get into the actual store. It was absurd that the developers didn't plan for easy pedestrian access, highlighting the area's (and city at large) dependency on cars.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:11 PM

Wow! Yet another site with incredible potential. there's so many possibilities here.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:54 PM

He's another big development planned for the west side.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
He's another big to go back playing for the west side.

I commented on the main thread about this project, but it seems fishy to me. The developers, Terminus Development Group, don't really have too much information online when you Google them. They were formed as an LLC in 2018, and the CEO/co-founder's LinkedIn shows that his background is in food halls and he owns a mechanic shop. Not to say he can't branch out, but a project of this scale seems misaligned for a developer's first project.

I hope my cynicism is misplaced and that they prove me wrong, but I wouldn't get my hopes hope just yet for this one.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic View Post
I commented on the main thread about this project, but it seems fishy to me. The developers, Terminus Development Group, don't really have too much information online when you Google them. They were formed as an LLC in 2018, and the CEO/co-founder's LinkedIn shows that his background is in food halls and he owns a mechanic shop. Not to say he can't branch out, but a project of this scale seems misaligned for a developer's first project.

I hope my cynicism is misplaced and that they prove me wrong, but I wouldn't get my hopes hope just yet for this one.
It doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's not uncommon for developers to form llc's for a particular project especially when there are multiple entities involved as would probably be the case in a development of that scale.

On the other hand, pretty pictures does not mean the project is about to happen, as we all know. We will have to learn more to see if this is a "real" proposal.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 3:37 PM

Cannon Equities plans new mixed-use project on Marietta Boulevard

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline
Quote:
A new mixed-use project is planned for a former industrial property in Atlanta’s emerging Upper West Side.

Atlanta-based Cannon Equities has filed plans with the city of Atlanta and the state for a 4.6-acre site along Marietta Boulevard, including buildings that once housed Buckhead Beef.

A project there could include 350,000 square feet of residential, with both rental and for-sale housing, said Dwight Bell, president and CEO of Cannon Equities. It would also have about 300,000 square feet of commercial space, including loft office and retail space.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
He's another big development planned for the west side.
Seems to be password protected. Does anyone know the password?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:15 PM

New rendering of The Works at Chattahoochee

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 6:18 PM

Echo / Westide Yards

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Is Potbelly finally coming to Atlanta?!?!

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
Is Potbelly finally coming to Atlanta?!?!
IDK, but that area deserves better than a strip mall and parking deck along the main road. The beltline also seems to have a lot of parking along it... hard to tell the exact site plan from the renderings... nice amount of infill, but IMO poor execution

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 6:20 PM

The Goat Farm Arts Center will soon be five times bigger.

https://www.atlantamagazine.com/news...-to-its-magic/

Quote:
Once complete, the Smith Dalia-designed redevelopment will total around 500,000 square feet—roughly five times the Goat Farm’s current size.
Quote:
Starting in October or November, the roughly 500 artists who build, create, and essentially live at the Goat Farm will relocate to spaces Harper and his team—Kris Knecht, Allie Bashuk, and Mark DiNatale—have located in Castleberry Hill, Old Fourth Ward, downtown, and other areas, as the property begins a $250 million transformation. The iconic brick structures will undergo renovation, but corrugated metal buildings where Goat Farm staff and tenants work will be demolished. In their place Tribridge Residential will construct three buildings featuring ground-level artist studios and a mix of around 175 apartments and live-work spaces. Thirty-six of those units are required to be affordable but the Goat Farm, the project’s master developers, plans to offer more at below market rates.

Nearby will rise a 125-room “independent arts-based” hotel co-developed by Tungsten Partners.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 11:01 PM

Andrew Zimmern tapped to curate "Chattahoochee Food Works" market

https://www.ajc.com/blog/atlanta-res...U9YllfTVsdt8N/

Quote:
Celebrity chef Andrew Zimmern is bringing his expertise to a forthcoming Atlanta food hall.

The creator, executive producer and host of Travel Channel’s “Bizzare Foods” is partnering with Robert Montwaid, creator of New York’s Gansevoort Market, to curate Chattahoochee Food Works, a boutique food market opening later this year in the Makers Building at The Works, an 80-acre adaptive mixed-use development in Atlanta’s upper West Midtown neighborhood.
Progress video
https://twitter.com/theworksatl/stat...46345089101824

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 9:26 PM

Ashton Woods Homes plans new 25-acre community by Westside Park

Quote:
The Alpharetta-based home builder wants to develop 254 townhomes and 240 apartments with a unified architectural theme on 25 acres at 1615 Johnson Road N.W., according to plans filed with the city. The project, called ParkVue, is on the north side of the park and about a mile west of Atlantic Station.

Homes in Ashton Woods' proposed community would be priced in the $450,000 to $600,000 range. The project has an estimated completion date of August 2022, the home builder's plans say.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Is West Marietta St getting paved with all the new construction, including the park? It's in absolute shambles. Not the best welcome to people coming to the new park.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 12:04 AM

City Council approved the rezoning of Lee + White in West End today to I-Mix. This zoning will allow preservation of the existing historic buildings and construction of several hundred units of parking along Lee Street, and a row of residential buildings along White Street. Additional residential is also allowed on existing surface parking.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 8:47 PM

The Works

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta