HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 1:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
The bad PR is really piling on for Kailas....

https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...def30ed8e.html

This article tells us why they haven't been able to move forward with the full renovation yet, but also just paints Kailas as unprofessional and borderline illegal...

On another note, I imagine people here know more than me about how developers cover their butts with each development... but with the Hard Rock disaster, what are the penalties/losses one would expect for the builders (Citadel) and the developers (Kailas and co.)?
If Citadel and the engineering companies are still a company after this year Id be shocked. Kailas and partners will be part of lawsuits.. but of course the investigation will determine to what extent... ultimately though, engineers and contractor and to some extent building materials supplier are the most vulnerable

Also, theres very likely to be lawsuits between people like the developers and the contractor and Im certain Hard Rock Hotel themselves will sue people for damage to the brand, especially locally. Hard Rock Hotel is now a 4 letter word in the NOLA Market

As for the tenants in 1010 , they are just using the overall and deserved bad Image Kailas has to garner attention it seems. You are on a month to month lease which means you need to leave.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
If Citadel and the engineering companies are still a company after this year Id be shocked. Kailas and partners will be part of lawsuits.. but of course the investigation will determine to what extent... ultimately though, engineers and contractor and to some extent building materials supplier are the most vulnerable

Also, theres very likely to be lawsuits between people like the developers and the contractor and Im certain Hard Rock Hotel themselves will sue people for damage to the brand, especially locally. Hard Rock Hotel is now a 4 letter word in the NOLA Market.
I understand that — barring some unexpected case of meddling in the engineering — Kailas and Hard Rock aren’t likely to be held liable. But I think about who has the money to pay the victims families, affected businesses, and city? I imagine citadel and their subcontractors have little such assets that can be seized pending a lawsuit, and would their insurance cover what will likely be 10s of millions of dollars in damages? People tend to sue the person with the biggest pockets/most stuff, and in that case it would be Kailas and Hard Rock... but I don’t see how they would actually be held liable for the fate of the building...

With that protest yesterday, this issue isn’t going away for a while. Amazing to think Cantrell thought it would acceptable to let the building sit there until December!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 6:58 PM

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 6:58 PM

That being said it’s kind of ridiculous that Hard Rock and Kailas are taking so much heat.

I barely read anything about Heaslip or Citadel. I highly doubt the furniture or crown molding Hard Rock or Kailas picked caused the building to fall.

Hard Rock was supposed to manage the property and helped with the cranes. Kailas has decent reviews at other properties they manage.

It’s a lot of misdirected hate at the biggest pockets with the people most connected to construction being left out of the bad press.

[ QUOTE=FenderOz;8811385]I understand that — barring some unexpected case of meddling in the engineering — Kailas and Hard Rock aren’t likely to be held liable. But I think about who has the money to pay the victims families, affected businesses, and city? I imagine citadel and their subcontractors have little such assets that can be seized pending a lawsuit, and would their insurance cover what will likely be 10s of millions of dollars in damages? People tend to sue the person with the biggest pockets/most stuff, and in that case it would be Kailas and Hard Rock... but I don’t see how they would actually be held liable for the fate of the building...

With that protest yesterday, this issue isn’t going away for a while. Amazing to think Cantrell thought it would acceptable to let the building sit there until December![/QUOTE]

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:25 PM

New use in the works for old University Hospital

https://www.fox8live.com/2020/01/24/...sity-hospital/

Link has a good video segment on status of University as well as old Charity

By Rob Masson | January 24, 2020 at 5:21 PM CST - Updated January 24 at 6:06 PM
NEW ORLEANS, La. (WVUE) - After five years of lying dormant there’s new life for an old hospital in downtown New Orleans.

That new life is expected to provide a big boost to LSU’s Medical School as well Delgado.

It was the city's primary hospital, after Katrina flooded out the basement of big charity, but now, some of the walls are coming down at old University Hospital.

“By FEMA regulations it was only temporary, and FEMA, wouldn’t allow it be used as an ongoing hospital per se,” said Larry Hollier, MD, the chancellor of LSU Health.

Not wanting another vacant building in the city's Bioscience district, LSU went to work planning for a new use for the old hospital. And they found that use, in the success of a newly expanded simulation lab in the Health Sciences building.

The lab uses high tech manequins to train medical staff in everything from robotic surgery, to proper doses of medicine. Old University Hospital is now going through a $62 million renovation, to provide three new floors of simulation lab space for doctor, and allied health education.

"We have a lot of demand and interest for the use of that space by industry. If they have a new prosthetic joint, they want to develop, and want to train physicians across the country on how to use it, the facility across the street is the ideal place to do that," said Hollier.

The newly renovated hospital, which for decades was known as 'Hotel Dieu', will soon be called 'The Center for Advanced Learning, and Simulation.'

https://www.eskewdumezripple.com/lsu...imulation.html

https://whlcarchitecture.com/project...ital-repurpose

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 5:53 PM
-

6001 Magazine

Here, crews are building bioswales for stormwater storage on Press Drive as part of the Pontilly Stormwater Management Project. The project is now approximately 50% complete. @resilientnola #graygreen #infrastructure @roadworknola @mayorcantrell The City Of NOLA

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 6:03 PM
-

Inside Children's Hospital nearly complete mental health unit: 'It's a new day in New Orleans'

https://www.nola.com/news/healthcare...5a426ba04.html

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 6:12 PM
-

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 3:57 PM

Quote:
If Citadel and the engineering companies are still a company after this year Id be shocked.
Heaslip sent out an email in mid December announcing that they were starting a new company called "AXIS Engineering". James Heaslip is still a partner but he's brought on a Scott Schoolmeyer as well. Text of the email is below:

Quote:
We’re thrilled to announce the creation of Axis Engineering, an innovative group of highly skilled, talented professionals offering civil and structural engineering services for residential, multi-family, commercial and industrial projects big and small.

From residential and multi-story buildings to industrial projects, our vision is to provide trusted engineering solutions and

achieve extraordinary results for our clients with the utmost attention to detail.

Let’s talk about your next project and explore how we can put our expertise to work for you.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:36 PM
-

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:31 PM

Quote:

Great pictures, thanks.
Appears to be topped out at 29 stories if I'm not mistaken?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 10:19 PM

I asked this question before, but maybe it was lost or no one had heard anything at that time:

Is New Orleans getting another fiber operator? Verizon/MCI has been installing fiber on almost every block. I've seen them in the warehouse district, LGD, and riverbend. Doesn't seem like it's just backbone work because they are putting boxes on every corner and running down every street. The box says MCI Fiber, but when you call the number, the Verizon dig hotline answers.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 11:11 PM
-

I dont have any information on that .. sorry

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 2:52 AM

Hard Rock developers speak out on radio show: 'Owners are not engineers'

How involved he was or wasn’t aside, I cant help but notice that as if Kailas’ reputation hadn’t already been **** in this city for years, his attempts to distance himself from the project (or defend himself) only make him appear even worse than the general public already perceives him to be. Now his representatives claim that he’s being vilified in part because of his ethnicity.

The other glaring issue here is that the president of Citadel was in fact part owner, but hey.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 2:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Hard Rock developers speak out on radio show: 'Owners are not engineers'

How involved he was or wasn’t aside, I cant help but notice that as if Kailas’ reputation hadn’t already been **** in this city for years, his attempts to distance himself from the project (or defend himself) only make him appear even worse than the general public already perceives him to be. Now his representatives claim that he’s being vilified in part because of his ethnicity.

The other glaring issue here is that the president of Citadel was in fact part owner, but hey.
Yeah hes being vilified because of his ethnicity, not the shitty building they designed that was Value Engineered so badly the damn thing collapsed. Sure the engineers and contractor have serious responsibility here but dont for one second think the owner gets off free. From the beginning when I heard the price per square foot this thing was supposedly being built at i was to be frank shocked. Criminal negligence charges should absolutely be on the table here if VEing to the point of safety being sacrificed is proven. The family has a shitty reputation through no ones fault but their own.

People on this very forum were commenting before the collapse how flimsy and cheap the construction looked.. especially the steel area above the concrete parking base... if anyone here was told a building collapsed in this city and they didnt know which one but to guess, everyone here would have picked that construction site. Thats not by accident but the result of years of observing as well as reputation of all involved.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 28, 2020 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:44 PM
-

The first phase of the new Kenner Discovery Health Sciences Academy is nearing the finish line. Read about the strategy that allowed our team to reduce the overall project timeline by at least six months, including three months of preconstruction and three months of construction, in this Engineering News-

Record feature:

https://www.enr.com/articles/48561-l...ng-k-12-campus

#palmisanoprojects

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:12 PM
-

Virgin Hotel New Orleans
#virginhotelnola
#nolahospitality
#aerialprogress
#aerialdocumentation
#dronesinconstruction
#zephyrdronesllc
@ New Orleans, Louisiana

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 10:13 PM
-

FIERY CRAB SEAFOOD RESTAURANT & BAR 925 COMMON ST NEW ORLEANS LA Orleans AR.36.0000016348-BL AR.BL - CLASS A RESTAURANT BEER AND LIQUOR 3600016348 PENDING 01/28/2020

Jung Sports Bar and Speakeasy:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah hes being vilified because of his ethnicity, not the shitty building they designed that was Value Engineered so badly the damn thing collapsed. Sure the engineers and contractor have serious responsibility here but dont for one second think the owner gets off free. From the beginning when I heard the price per square foot this thing was supposedly being built at i was to be frank shocked. Criminal negligence charges should absolutely be on the table here if VEing to the point of safety being sacrificed is proven. The family has a shitty reputation through no ones fault but their own.

People on this very forum were commenting before the collapse how flimsy and cheap the construction looked.. especially the steel area above the concrete parking base... if anyone here was told a building collapsed in this city and they didnt know which one but to guess, everyone here would have picked that construction site. Thats not by accident but the result of years of observing as well as reputation of all involved.

Looks like the city is doing its own investigation into the Dept of Safety and Permits. To a certain extent any city will have times when someone gets to build a little taller or a little bigger than they should because of backroom deals, it's just going to happen in the real world, but this project was such a screw up and the pain is so glaring that I hope multiple people go to jail for a long time.

It's at least nice the city isn't having a knee jerk reaction to demonize other hotel developments like the Virgin Hotel.

https://www.nola.com/news/politics/a...4ee08f37d.html

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Looks like the city is doing its own investigation into the Dept of Safety and Permits. To a certain extent any city will have times when someone gets to build a little taller or a little bigger than they should because of backroom deals, it's just going to happen in the real world, but this project was such a screw up and the pain is so glaring that I hope multiple people go to jail for a long time.

It's at least nice the city isn't having a knee jerk reaction to demonize other hotel developments like the Virgin Hotel.

https://www.nola.com/news/politics/a...4ee08f37d.html
Its absolutely not the fault of the development community writ large etc and the city clearly knows that as do most citizens. Its 2019 and 18 story buildings shouldnt collapse in the USA while under construction or while complete. Thats just simply unacceptable and the city the community and the workers all deserve better than that. I certainly hope as you say if anyone has any complicity in creating an unsafe structure, they need to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Could you imagine if the building had collapsed while occupied? the deaths could have been in the 100s. Speaking of Safety and Permits, wasnt there an investigation into that office by the FEDS already?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations