HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:27 AM

Forumers: I hope they stick these owners with big fines and punish them for this mistake!

Also Forumers: I can't for the life of me understand why an owner would oppose a heritage designation.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 5:46 PM
the first stamp is free

^ haha. Good point.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 7:54 PM

Remember when people were freaking out that the sky is falling in the Exchange about a month ago? Lol.

- Friday Knights is reopening (appt only) with 3 other makers in a big space on Princess that's been empty for a while.

- Friday Knights former location has already been snapped up, it's being cleaned up now.

- Reno's have already started on the old Tiny Feast as Shop Take Care will be moving in.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Remember when people were freaking out that the sky is falling in the Exchange about a month ago? Lol.

- Friday Knights is reopening (appt only) with 3 other makers in a big space on Princess that's been empty for a while.

- Friday Knights former location has already been snapped up, it's being cleaned up now.

- Reno's have already started on the old Tiny Feast as Shop Take Care will be moving in.
I'd love to see a follow-up article from the people who wrote the "doom & gloom" pieces about the Exchange that mentions this.....but I guess I won't hold my breath.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I'd love to see a follow-up article from the people who wrote the "doom & gloom" pieces about the Exchange that mentions this.....but I guess I won't hold my breath.
They moved into the main floor 3000ft2 Republic Architects space at 374 Donald.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 10:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
They moved into the main floor 3000ft2 Republic Architects space at 374 Donald.
o nice

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 11:23 PM

Scott Memorial Hall
hp locations near me

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 1:10 AM

Wonder even if they're able to save the building, if the city will slap the owner with some fines for the fact Princess has now been closed for over a week, and will likely continue to be for a while.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 1:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Wonder even if they're able to save the building, if the city will slap the owner with some fines for the fact Princess has now been closed for over a week, and will likely continue to be for a while.
might negioate a fee for the service provided closing it as its material and cities time spent on it plus engineers and such

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:10 AM

Was told March was the initial target for demo of the Great West Metals buildings. As of this week they were simultaneously still manufacturing and moving lots of stuff out of the building. May be a bit delayed but it sounds like the buildings will be gone in spring.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Was told March was the initial target for demo of the Great West Metals buildings. As of this week they were simultaneously still manufacturing and moving lots of stuff out of the building. May be a bit delayed but it sounds like the buildings will be gone in spring.
They are aiming for summer demo if all goes to plan.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
They are aiming for summer demo if all goes to plan.
I can't imagine a developer would be willing to invest 100 mill+ without reassurance from the city that the docks will be redeveloped. Has anyone heard anything? Perfect location for another pedestrian bridge IMO...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
I can't imagine a developer would be willing to invest 100 mill+ without reassurance from the city that the docks will be redeveloped. Has anyone heard anything? Perfect location for another pedestrian bridge IMO...
What about the the 100’s of millions already invested on Waterfront dr?
Waterfront develop will be part of the forks mandate.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
What about the the 100’s of millions already invested on Waterfront dr?
Waterfront develop will be part of the forks mandate.

True, but the docks were at least operational back then, no?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:04 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
True, but the docks were at least operational back then, no?
James Avenue pump station project started construction when the docks were closed if I recall correctly.

I think the charm and value of exchange district itself in general should be able to support the 100 million project, it’s a prime downtown neighborhood. Plus, the developer seems to be pretty committed.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 3:46 PM

I get that river levels fluctuate seasonally. But why can't the city put in a proper dock with some surrounding park like amenities? It won't cost that much and will provide a total of 1 locations in the city for larger boats to dock. I know boating is on the deadline over the last number of decades. But if you have zero docks, you'll have zero boats for sure.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
So, when will Ken Zaifman have the St Charles Hotel confiscated from him? Do we need to wait for it to be total loss? This building is kind of like a gateway to The Exchange district. He has had over a dozen years now and does near nothing.. Waiting for it to fall so he can destroy it...Market conditions are better than ever. Anybody know or care?
I don’t think there is any question that Zaifman is waiting for pieces of the St. Charles to start raining down onto the pavement so he can demolish it. He’s the poster boy for the City’s inability or unwillingness to act.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:52 PM

Quote:

The Free Press is the main source of the angst about parking and bike lanes leading to the death of the Exchange. The last article they did they interviewed one business that was leaving and it had nothing to do with those issues.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
The Free Press is the main source of the angst about parking and bike lanes leading to the death of the Exchange. The last article they did they interviewed one business that was leaving and it had nothing to do with those issues.
Haha, yep. I know the Free Press is stretched thin between their Woke bureau, Climate Change desk, and Doug Spiers, but you think some perspective could be offered.

I can't wait for my grandmother to take me aside and say, 'so I hear the wholesale district is abandoned again.'

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:22 PM

New Media Manitoba is taking over the main floor of 62 Albert. They moved into the building on one of the upper floors temporarily while they renovate the main floor. They want to be more open and accessible to the public. This should add some nice animation and activity to the street during the day – maybe some nights when they host events.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan