HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 5:26 AM

A chunk of the team looks like they have the flu or something similar

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 5:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
A chunk of the team looks like they have the flu or something similar
Team looks checked out kinda like they did last season at this time, coach should have been let go at the end of last season instead of wasting another year....

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, TSN - the radio station especially - feels like the PR arm of the Jets/TNSE. And you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

The other outlets don't benefit quite as directly as TSN, but the threat of being locked out of Bell MTS Place looms which certainly keeps the Sun, CJOB, The Athletic and whomever else in line.

All I can say is that I don't really expect objective journalism from the Winnipeg sports media so much as I just expect entertainment.
Exactly! However I would add it's all "sports media", not just in Winnipeg. There is really no "journalism" per se when one's livelihood depends on viewers/readers continuing to care about the subject of your reporting. Sports reporters are really just an offshoot of entertainment columnists; a fun diversion for many, but not really "journalism", IMO.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Exactly! However I would add it's all "sports media", not just in Winnipeg. There is really no "journalism" per se when one's livelihood depends on viewers/readers continuing to care about the subject of your reporting. Sports reporters are really just an offshoot of entertainment columnists; a fun diversion for many, but not really "journalism", IMO.
I don't know if this is just my foggy memory at work or what but I seem to recall that in "the old days" sportswriters weren't necessarily afraid to be critical. Columnists in particular, thinking of the likes of Hal Sigurdson, Patti Dawn Swansson, the recently retired Paul Wiecek… I guess Paul Friesen still fits that mold but they're becoming a rare breed.

I mean, at the end of the day it was still sportswriting so no hard hitting journalism as you point out, but it was less yes-mannish. These days it seems like you are either practically on the company payroll (everyone at TSN) or you're so reliant on inside access that you're almost never critical (someone like Mike McIntyre of the Free Press, who obviously doesn't want to piss off the team and have to give up the wintertime jet setting in order to go back to writing about local criminals on the courts beat).

Then again, there is still plenty of ultra negative "they can't do anything right" nattering on Jets twitter...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:46 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I don't know if this is just my foggy memory at work or what but I seem to recall that in "the old days" sportswriters weren't necessarily afraid to be critical. Columnists in particular, thinking of the likes of Hal Sigurdson, Patti Dawn Swansson, the recently retired Paul Wiecek… I guess Paul Friesen still fits that mold but they're becoming a rare breed.
Probably because they were employed by newspapers which did not depend on sports for survival and were still a strong industry at that point.

Sports columnists today work for entities that either own and operate sports rights (TSN) or depend entirely on sports for survival (The Athletic, etc.). They're more dependent on sports doing well than forty years ago.

There's very little actual journalism at all these days, not just in sports but overall, due to the steep decline in newsprint.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

There's very little actual journalism at all these days, not just in sports but overall, due to the steep decline in newsprint.
Very true. IMO many people who write for media outlets are just that; "article writers". They seem to just write opinion pieces they try to support with one quote each from both sides of their issue. Real journalism takes time and one or more reporters who can recognize when they are being handed a line and when they probably have gotten a sliver of fact behind the story. I don't know if it's a result of deadline pressure or the changing nature of the business, but readers/viewers have to view many media reports with a healthy degree of scepticism. I don't mean taking the lazy and infantile path of simply labelling everything as "fake news" (a term I have come to despise), but actively listening to what the media is saying and judge the degree to which the message has merit.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 9:58 PM

Keep in mind when the Jets returned to Winnipeg the media jobs covering them were fairly choice positions to land. It attracted the hyper fans of the NHL that were already in sports media. Much like how the average joe hyper fan sees no wrong with the Jets the media ones are also wearing those same googles.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 8:26 PM
BANNED

Well at least one Jet didn't completely embarrass himself at the All Star game!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Keep in mind when the Jets returned to Winnipeg the media jobs covering them were fairly choice positions to land. It attracted the hyper fans of the NHL that were already in sports media. Much like how the average joe hyper fan sees no wrong with the Jets the media ones are also wearing those same googles.
So how did we end up with the human equivalents of manila envelopes on TSN3? Like my god, watching an intermission with Sara Orlesky and Ken Wiebe should be a form of corporal punishment in Canada. It's mind boggling to me that these are the people TSN chooses to put on air.

It's so nice when we get the odd call from Ferraro, Mike Johnson, Noodles – can actually listen to them without wanting to scratch my eyes out.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I agree. A coaching change now wouldn't necessarily do anything to improve the team. At the beginning of the season I thought the team would probably miss the playoffs; and while they certainly surprised me with their play earlier, it looks like injuries and overall defensive team weakness is catching to them.

While the team is in the playoff hunt I might be tempted to keep on trying to push for a playoff spot, but honestly the prospect of squeaking into the playoffs and then most likely being eliminated in 4-5 games isn't a very pleasing prospect.

Personally, I would see the team setting a deadline of sorts. If they were still in the playoff race by a given date, then push for the playoff positioning. If they are still lagging by that date, use the opportunity to give their Moose prospects some NHL playing time and look to a decent draft pick in the off season. Maybe make a "big" trade (Laine?) to add a solid defenceman and an offensive prospect.

We all knew there would be "rebuilding" phases, and it looks like the Jets are in one now.
It did a hell of a lot for last place and underperforming St. Louis last year.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 8:05 PM

I watched the most recent game in its entirety even though it was depressing as hell. I can say that the only player who really impressed was Kyle Connor, never stops working. Ehlers was completely invisible. Laine unfortunately wasn’t invisible as he made a number of passes to his opponents, including one to the front of the Jets net. He was continually trying impossible passes that would have to travel through three or four players to get to the intended target. This is pure laziness. If you don’t have a pass you work hard to create some space until you have one. Lots of pizzas served up last game. I really like Maurice but I think a coaching change will be needed. He’s well past the NHL best before date.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 8:17 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
It did a hell of a lot for last place and underperforming St. Louis last year.
St.Louis had and continues to have a far superior defensive corps compared to the Jets.

A coaching change won't change that this season.

They also had a rookie goaltender come in and play lights out from January through to the Stanley Cup.

We need the goaltending aspect just to have a sniff of the playoffs - let alone actually being able to do anything in the playoffs once we get there.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:32 PM

Email from the team this morning. Among other things, they acknowledge fan feedback about prices of tickets, food and drink, security measures, and team performance.

As a lead up to the 10th anniversary of the team, Jets are lowering prices by 30% on fan favourtie items. Such as beer, water, popcorn and pizza. Ticket prices will only rise by 2.1% next year. The lowest increase yet. And $9M in renos willl take place this summer. Including on ice projection, some renos to the concourse and extensive reno of the exchange restaurant.

There are some links in the email to renders of the renos and to prices. I can't get the links to load on my PC. But here are some tweets from ChrisD.

https://twitter.com/ChrisDca/status/1222195087012057088

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:46 PM

I'm trying to load the page with the pics but I can't reach it... their website must be getting hammered.

Nice to see them acknowledge the concerns of fans by lowering prices on some concession snacks, but the letter does kind of hint at a certain level of strain. It mentions 28% ticket price increases since 2011, but it also mentions that the player payroll has gone up 110% in that time (in CAD, taking into account the dollar's decline since that time). But obviously ticket revenues are not their only revenue source... teams are probably getting a lot more money after the Rogers deal a few years back. Which makes me wonder what will happen when that bad (for the broadcaster) deal expires and the next one takes effect, possibly for less money... will they roll back the salary cap?

I want the NHL to stay in Winnipeg but at the same time I can live without the hit on my bank account. A night out at an ICE game delivers the same satisfaction to me as the Jets do but for a fraction of the cost. It's 5 minutes from my house with no traffic or metal detector lineups to contend with. I've been to 6 ICE games since the end of November and once my Jets STH commitment is up I am going to have a hard decision on my hands about what to do next.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm trying to load the page with the pics but I can't reach it... their website must be getting hammered.

Nice to see them acknowledge the concerns of fans by lowering prices on some concession snacks, but the letter does kind of hint at a certain level of strain. It mentions 28% ticket price increases since 2011, but it also mentions that the player payroll has gone up 110% in that time (in CAD, taking into account the dollar's decline since that time). But obviously ticket revenues are not their only revenue source... teams are probably getting a lot more money after the Rogers deal a few years back. Which makes me wonder what will happen when that bad (for the broadcaster) deal expires and the next one takes effect, possibly for less money... will they roll back the salary cap?
NHL salaries are ridiculous considering the NHL is still a somewhat gate driven league, the SN deal was obviously huge, the huge US TV contract has yet to materialize, something the NHL has clamored for since 1990!

Luckily for you the Ice play in your end of town, I'm not driving a hour from NE Winnipeg to watch CHL hockey although if they played at BEll MTS I would go!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
NHL salaries are ridiculous considering the NHL is still a somewhat gate driven league, the SN deal was obviously huge, the huge US TV contract has yet to materialize, something the NHL has clamored for since 1990!
You've keyed in on the issue here, and that is that ticket buying fans can't bridge the gap between the NHL's dreams and its reality. No one is going to pay $500 a ticket so that McDavid can make Lebron money.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:25 PM

I just got this email from True North, looks like they are beginning to acknowledge they were being a bit greedy.

January 28, 2020

Dear Winnipeg Jets and Manitoba Moose Community,

In the midst of pursuing a third consecutive berth into the Stanley Cup Playoffs, True North Sports + Entertainment and the Winnipeg Jets would like to share this message to express our thanks, reaffirm our commitment, and also update you on a number of initiatives. The timing of this communication is prompted by the humble acknowledgement that we are approaching our 10th NHL season in 2020-21.

To begin, please accept our gratitude and thanks. A 10th anniversary season is testament to the investment of time, money, and emotional energy from our entire community. We refer often to the “collective will” of our community, and we value and appreciate the contributions of all our stakeholders, supporting our teams and organization.

Looking ahead, be assured that the resolve and commitment of True North have remained the same since the Winnipeg Jets returned in 2011, and further still, since True North first established roots in the community with the Manitoba Moose in 1996. More specifically, our day-by-day decisions are guided by our mission to pursue championship calibre hockey, provide a superior guest experience in our venues, care for our employees, and collectively make a meaningful contribution to our community.

While our purpose has remained constant, the method of how we serve and operate has evolved as technology, the industry, standards, and expectations have changed over time. To keep pace, more than $55 million has been invested into Bell MTS Place since 2011, enhancing the guest experience throughout the arena and concourses. Following an intentional draft-and-develop process, player costs have risen to $109 million CAD annually –110% above $52 million CAD spent in 2011. Similarly, fans have also felt the change, seeing a cumulative elevation in ticket prices of 28% during that same nine-year period. Together, we have lived the emotional ups and downs associated with competing at the highest level of hockey in the world.

To assist us in understanding how to manage change further, you may have noticed a renewed focus on fan feedback through a series of ongoing surveys and interacting with fans on the concourses. We have become increasingly aware of a growing sentiment related to ticket prices, the cost of food and beverages, mobile ticketing, elevated security measures, and of course, team performance.

Therefore, with improved understanding from this feedback, while remaining committed to our longer-term mission and planning that ensures long-term viability of the Winnipeg Jets and Manitoba Moose in Winnipeg for future generations, several tangible changes are upcoming. These will include:
Winnipeg Jets and Manitoba Moose fans will see the immediate adoption of Fan Favourites pricing, reducing the price on fan favourite items like beer, fountain pop, water, popcorn and pizza by an average of 30%, at Bell MTS Place. (Click HERE for more information)
The overall average ticket increase for the 2020-21 season for the Winnipeg Jets has been set at 2.1%, our lowest increase in six years.
More than $9 million of venue improvements have been planned for the summer of 2020, highlighted by the addition of on-ice projection, and continuing concourse enhancements started in recent years, including an extensive renovation in the area that is currently The Exchange Restaurant. (View images HERE )
Thank you again for being a big part of the Winnipeg Jets and Manitoba Moose community – as we look forward to a playoff push this season and entering our 10th season in 2020-21 together.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
St.Louis had and continues to have a far superior defensive corps compared to the Jets.

A coaching change won't change that this season.

They also had a rookie goaltender come in and play lights out from January through to the Stanley Cup.

We need the goaltending aspect just to have a sniff of the playoffs - let alone actually being able to do anything in the playoffs once we get there.
There are arguments both ways. I don’t think anyone can be so categorical about it. The fact is Maurice has a .407 winning percentage in his time with the Jets and he has never won anything anywhere. He’s had a good run to show what he can do. The proof of a coach is what he can do in tough times. Torterella is doing wonders with a Columbus roster that was decimated also.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:58 PM

I think the changes on the security/entrance flow this year were communicated extremely poorly.

For example, the new maximum bag size policy was something I was not aware of until going through security for an event.

Also the renovations this past summer removed one of the south end elevators to get from the skywalk to either the lower or upper bowl as they expanded to suite area to take over the small hallway that lead to it. And when approached about it the TNSE employees had no idea what to say. I either didn't know or had forogotten there was a second elevator on the north end of the arena but that was still a poor chance that negatively impacted a significant number of fans.

I am also still disappointed they removed the full service Tim Horton locations as concessions. It was always super busy before they closed it and their replacement just doesn't cover it so I end up spending significantly less on concessions now. Win for me, lose for the team. Heck, last time I was there Arizona had a better Tims concession than what MTS has now...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
There are arguments both ways. I don’t think anyone can be so categorical about it. The fact is Maurice has a .407 winning percentage in his time with the Jets and he has never won anything anywhere. He’s had a good run to show what he can do. The proof of a coach is what he can do in tough times. Torterella is doing wonders with a Columbus roster that was decimated also.
That statement is completely false, he actually has a .524 winning percentage and a .577 points percentage with the jets. I think you are referencing his playoff winning percentage only.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coa...auripa99c.html

He has only had a sub .500 points percentage as head coach of the Hartford Whalers who were horrid and he was also the youngest head coach in NHL history back then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan