HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 2:09 PM

Looking good. Thanks RC14!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 4:20 PM

moved forward...

Last edited by delts145; May 6, 2021 at 1:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 10:05 PM
Space Magi

So I was in SLC today and took a lot of photos. I'm on mobile right now though so here's a teaser. Count the cranes!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 10:35 PM

Refresh my memory

A while back the LDS “real estate investment group”, I can’t remember their name, was allowing Liberty sky to move forward before they were going to start another project? Can anyone remember the details about that. I want to say Makid was commenting on it. Was that I’m association with 95 state? But since they were residential and commercial they both went into construction? Or was there another project in waiting in the wings?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 11:06 PM

/\/\/\ I've always theorized that PRI/CCRI made a deal with Boyer/Cowboy Partners to build a res. tower, ie. Liberty Sky, instead of their(Boyer/Cowboy) initial proposed office tower, so that they(PRI) could get Goldman Sachs into their proposed 111 Main tower. They were both competing to get Goldman.

95 State was originally proposed as a mixed-use tower per the City Creek Center masterplan in 2006. But, I believe the thinking is that they would build it as office to allow for Boyer & Cowboy to get Liberty Sky on the market without another res. tower coming on the market about the same time. I do know that PRI/CCRI is currently looking at a bunch of new residential projects. There is still Tower 2 and Tower 9?(the lot east of Harmons) from the City Creek Center masterplan, and we've seen a proposed rendering of that other white mid-rise project on South Temple.

Now that I'm back in town and in the thick of the action, I know of quite a few other proposed projects, but I'm not going to put it out here on this public forum just yet.

Last edited by Orlando; Apr 26, 2021 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 1:02 AM
Ironweed

Now that I'm back in town and in the thick of the action, I know of quite a few other proposed projects, but I'm not going to put it out here on this public forum just yet.[/QUOTE]

Glad to have you back in town Orlando! It will be great to have your eyes on the ground here.

My tone in the past was one of skepticism/negativism about the future of downtown.

That has changed. All the projects coming online have boosted the city's profile significantly. There is still much to be done, but I think things are heading in the right direction, generally.

The infill we are seeing is solidifying a more urban vibe.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 1:21 AM

Thanks Orlando, I’m trying to figure out the picture you have next to your user name. I don’t know if you have filled us in before on what it is, but it’s an itch I need to scratch.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 1:26 AM

Oh yeah. These projects you speak of Orlando. Would you say they coming from established groups in state or out of state? Or do they seem kinda speculative? Any insight would be fun

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Thanks Orlando, I’m trying to figure out the picture you have next to your user name. I don’t know if you have filled us in before on what it is, but it’s an itch I need to scratch.
lol. That image is in Portland and was taken over 10 years ago. It's a picture looking up towards the aerial tram station and one of the OHSU buildings. I thought it was a cool composition and leaves people guessing what it is. I'm glad you asked.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 2:53 PM
Space Magi

Demo has started on the Carl's Jr!

Here are a bunch of photos from my trek around SLC yesterday:

Sugar House

South Salt Lake

Downtown

General comments:
  • 95 State is going to be a great-looking building. The reflections are insane.
  • The People's Coffee is moving to 2nd & 2nd no later than May 5th. Demolition soon after?
  • TRAX needs that new stop at 650 Main. I didn't get photos of those projects because the train doesn't stop there.
  • The brick work on Dixon Place is nice. It looks like it could have been built 100 years ago. More of this!
  • Downtown South Salt Lake is going to be something in 5-10 years. Thousands of new residents within walking distance + great brewery scene + new office space + transit access. I do wish that you didn't have to walk up to 2100 S to get to the TRAX stop though. It would be nice if you could just get off TRAX and go straight to the Commonwealth Room, for example.

Last edited by Atlas; Apr 26, 2021 at 3:08 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 3:43 PM

Thanks for the pics! Us out if staters appreciate it.

Within a year, SLC could easily have 4 new 28 + story residential towers going up at the same time. Crazy awesome

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 3:56 PM

Thanks Atlas, Fantastic update. Many of which we haven't had an update from in a while. What is encouraging to me is how each one of the projects you photographed not only will be attractive, but most have their own individual vibe. Like you, I love that glass on 95 S. State. I would like to see something similar on either the proposed tower on Main around 4th, or the proposed tower on 2 West between 5th and 6th S. That finish plus some new angular shapes and curves would be awesome. Kind of like the new Wilshire Grand here in downtown L.A.

Something I hadn't paid much attention to before. We'll be getting rid of that funky-looking beige stucco Mortuary...Yayyyy!

Last edited by delts145; Apr 26, 2021 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 5:35 PM

It looks like the proposed 28 story mixed use/residential tower on the corner of west temple and 400s is getting ready to push forward soon. There is more info on buildingsaltlake

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 6:12 PM

RE CCH hotel "balconies" I think that's just where they staged the construction crew elevator, and then when it's no longer needed they'll pull it out and put the curved glass in.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 6:37 PM

From Building Salt Lake Instagram account

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:14 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
RE CCH hotel "balconies" I think that's just where they staged the construction crew elevator, and then when it's no longer needed they'll pull it out and put the curved glass in.
Also where it’s squared off at the top I believe those are just for concrete forms and are moved up with each completed floor.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:19 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
The brick work on Dixon Place is nice. It looks like it could have been built 100 years ago. More of this!
I love the quality finishes on Dixon Place. Lowe passed the test with that one and I’m looking forward to their other upcoming projects currently under construction (Post House, 6th and Main, and Sugar Alley)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:27 PM
Space Magi

Goodbye Carl's Jr

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:29 PM

I kind of miss the days when all we could talk about on here was how much we wanted Carls Jr gone. Now we have huge developments moving forward every other week.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:46 PM

So, what do we think? Best guesses on when kensington officially breaks ground?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West