HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 8:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Here is Pierre Fitzgibbon, Quebec's Minister of the Economy and Innovation. Montreal-born and raised, he says his family has been French-speaking for multiple generations. Though he does speak English too I am sure. He is graduate of the Harvard Business School.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucY7KQrUKSs

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 8:26 PM

The Pittsburgh area, I think I once read, is second to Boston in percentage of Irish Americans.

The region's Irish history predates the potato famine-induced immigration when the "Scots-Irish" were the early settlers of western PA and Appalachia.

The many neighborhood and town names in the Pittsburgh region reflect it well: Carrick, Wilkinsburg, O'Hara, Castle Shannon, McCandless, Donegal, Ben Avon, Connellsville, McKeesport, McKees Rocks, Stanton Heights, New Stanton, Carnegie, McMurray, McDonald, McGovern, Sheraden, Croghansville, Munhall, Kennedy, Scott...

Last edited by pj3000; Mar 17, 2020 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 9:22 PM

Never really understood why Irish-Americans were always so obsessed with talking about/referring to their (1/8th) Irishness. It's not really that distinct culturally compared to immigrants who have roots from more exotic regions of the world.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Never really understood why Irish-Americans were always so obsessed with talking about/referring to their (1/8th) Irishness. It's not really that distinct culturally compared to immigrants who have roots from more exotic regions of the world.
Exotic is just a matter of your perspective.

Also pretty intolerant of you, if they want to celebrate their irish-ness whats your problem with it ?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 9:47 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Who cares if it is or isn't 'exotic'? Irish Americans can be still be proud of their Irishness.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 10:41 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

You know where else you can find a lot of Irish? Civil war cemeteries

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 11:39 PM
An Optimistic Realist

The only Irish people I have met so far are those who are part Irish. I’ve only seen the full Irish on TV, along with the Scots.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
You know lots of people with one Irish great-grandparent who talk up being Irish?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 11:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
You know lots of people with one Irish great-grandparent who talk up being Irish?
Literally tons of them in Canada.

And I have 1 or 2 Irish ancestors from the 1800s. But I never talk up being Irish.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Literally tons of them in Canada.

And I have 1 or 2 Irish ancestors from the 1800s. But I never talk up being Irish.
That's kinda crazy to think about for me. I guess that's how it might be throughout the US and Canada outside the Northeast and Chicago then? I can see why that would be annoying.

I'm just saying, in Mass if you're white and 1/8th anything, that's getting zero play. Especially if it's Irish. Because in Mass if you're only 1/8th Irish, you're highly likely to be Italian or Portuguese or French-Canadian or a mix of the three as well, and that's who you self-identify with.

I get the impression whites from the Northeast hold on to ethnic identities more than in other parts of the country.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
You know where else you can find a lot of Irish? Civil war cemeteries
Yes, for the Union and Confederacy. It's estimated that 38% of African Americans have some Irish ancestry. Many Irish were overseers or masters on Southern plantations. Where do you think these black O'Neals, Murphys, and Kellys come from?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 1:02 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

I think your confusing older scots-Irish with mid 19th century immigrant Irish. The potato famine wasn’t until 1847 which is when immigration really ramped up

150000 Irish fought on the union side

25000 fought for the confederacy

Most Irish soldiers were probably 19 and 20 year old peasants that had grown up in squalor and hunger in Ireland and emigrated to the us.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 1:06 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
That's kinda crazy to think about for me. I guess that's how it might be throughout the US and Canada outside the Northeast and Chicago then? I can see why that would be annoying.

I'm just saying, in Mass if you're white and 1/8th anything, that's getting zero play. Especially if it's Irish. Because in Mass if you're only 1/8th Irish, you're highly likely to be Italian or Portuguese or French-Canadian or a mix of the three as well, and that's who you self-identify with.

I get the impression whites from the Northeast hold on to ethnic identities more than in other parts of the country.
I'm from NY and am 1/8 (Ulster) Irish but never identity as such; mostly Italian and English. People here in Texas almost never identify with their ethnicity. My wife doesn't even know hers.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 1:10 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
That's kinda crazy to think about for me. I guess that's how it might be throughout the US and Canada outside the Northeast and Chicago then?
We got LOTS of euro-mutts in Chicago too.

I've never had an overly strong euro-ancestry identity because I'm so mutted-up myself. So many lines of my ancestry have been here in Chicago for so long that I identify a trillion times more strongly with that than I do with anything on the other side of a fucking ocean.

My paternal grandmother was 100% Irish.

My paternal grandfather was a British isles mish-mosh of English, Scottish, and Irish.

My entire maternal side was all continental - mainly German with some French/Alsatian sprinkled in.

So I'm somewhere between 25 - 50% Irish ancestry.

just enough for me to get properly blackout drunk on St. Paddy's day and urinate and/or vomit (perhaps both at the same time) in public.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 1:16 AM

Geez. I thought this thread had to do with the aftermath of St Paddy's day.

"Irish diapers."

I have to get new prescription glasses, and fill them. Slaìnte!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Yes, for the Union and Confederacy. It's estimated that 38% of African Americans have some Irish ancestry. Many Irish were overseers or masters on Southern plantations. Where do you think these black O'Neals, Murphys, and Kellys come from?
Those were mostly Scots-Irish: Scottish colonizers of Ireland (Ulster County, i.e. today's Northern Ireland) who then moved to the southern US. They mostly came over before the Irish.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
People here in Texas almost never identify with their ethnicity. My wife doesn't even know hers.
That's what I suspected. It's not a good thing or a bad thing, but definitely different from what I'm used to.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 2:21 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Those were mostly Scots-Irish: Scottish colonizers of Ireland (Ulster County, i.e. today's Northern Ireland) who then moved to the southern US. They mostly came over before the Irish.
Ulster's a province, not a county

Interestingly, even though Ulster and Northern Ireland are pretty much synonymous today, three of the counties that make the historical Ulster actually belong to the Republic of Ireland.

I personally do identify with my Irishness, but then again, I've got an excuse - I'm half Irish, was born in Dublin, and carry an Irish passport along with my Canadian one.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I've never had an overly strong euro-ancestry identity because I'm so mutted-up myself.
And that's the thing, right? I know my family genealogy on both sides (except the Ukrainian great-grandfather's line) back to their Irish counties of origin. For some branches of the family it's easy, as they never left Ireland in the first place or they went back. But I know without a doubt, there's English and Welsh and some Viking in there as well.

The Irish themselves are not really "Irish" anymore, and haven't been in a looong time. Most Irish have a percentage of Scandinavian admixture; Dublin was founded by Vikings, after all. Fun fact: Iceland's admixture has a substantial Irish component because the first Viking settlers to Iceland brought a bunch of Irish thralls with them from their holdings in Ireland.

And then you have about 1000 years of English and Scottish overlordship, with all the intermixing and raping which comes with that. Throw in some Spanish blood down south around Cork (i.e. Black Irish) and you've got a whole admixture stew. This is why 23 And Me doesn't report separate categories for Irish, Scottish, Welsh, and English: it's all just called "British and Irish". There aren't enough genetic markers uniquely Irish among their reference populations to distinguish "Irish" from "British".

So . . . no one is really Irish anymore. No doubt I have a good degree of English colonizer blood. But the family will pretend it's Welsh

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Ulster's a province, not a county
God I hope no one in my family reads this! We're from Tipperary and Roscommon, and I'm embarrassed to say I've never made it to Donegal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions