HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Sooooo not sure when and how this happened so quickly but this apparently and quietly broke ground a month or 2 ago, i saw site prep I recall back in March I believe right when the virus was getting bad and its already peaking out of the ground.

The portion i saw under construction is sitting on the site where the 1st tower (21 floors) is supposed to go and whhat seems to be a portion of the low rise portion of the project. the Tower portion in the back ground , (Naturally) hasn't started yet and is still being used as a parking lot. For those not familiar, Long Beach is almost topped out with its new tallest building. THIS building however will be even taller than that one. So i'm not sure how quick Long Beach moves in the planning department but i think this was proposed no more than 2 years ago.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 5:28 AM

Awesome! Lbc looking great

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 7:11 PM

I Mean........ I know Long Beach likes to step in as a substitute filming location for movies and Tv shows set in Miami/South Florida, but copying what was once Miami's tallest building for almost 3 decades and making it their new tallest is a new level I love it though!!! It's always been one of my favorite post modern buildings. Go Long Beach!!! Ill be sure to take pictures and give an update of the site next time I go to visit my family.

Last edited by hughfb3; Jul 15, 2020 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 12:51 AM

I visited NOHO West today, and it's actually a decent addition for that area.

Also, Van Nuys is doing a good job with infill lately, if anyone has noticed. Victory, Sherman Way, Vanowen etc are looking better with modern condos and townhouses.
This stuff is flying under the radar, but it's great for the long run.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Sooooo not sure when and how this happened so quickly but this apparently and quietly broke ground a month or 2 ago, i saw site prep I recall back in March I believe right when the virus was getting bad and its already peaking out of the ground.

The portion i saw under construction is sitting on the site where the 1st tower (21 floors) is supposed to go and whhat seems to be a portion of the low rise portion of the project. the Tower portion in the back ground , (Naturally) hasn't started yet and is still being used as a parking lot. For those not familiar, Long Beach is almost topped out with its new tallest building. THIS building however will be even taller than that one. So i'm not sure how quick Long Beach moves in the planning department but i think this was proposed no more than 2 years ago.
Wow, really cool.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 6:55 PM

Quote:

Also Onni 7 story and 20 story highrise is under construction in Downtown LB. Total of 3 highrises currently rising there, hopefully more break ground soon.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 7:56 PM

That's really cool to see for LB. They're also adding a good amount of TOD near the blue line.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 6:24 PM

So Long Beach is excluded from the CA Coastal Commission's ban on high rises along the CA coastline?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:13 AM

Correct. Long Beach is one of the cities with an LCP (Local Coastal Plan) to guide development "in partnership" with the Coastal Commission.

Once LCP is certified, it gives a local jurisdiction latitude in approving projects and makes approval less onerous and more predictable for applicants / architects, provided the Coastal Act principals are upheld. If a project is particularly heinous, or if the City sets a policy it does't like, Coastal Commission can step in.

Other cities with LCPs I have done projects in include Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice neighborhood of LA, San Diego and Laguna Beach. It generally works well.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 9:18 PM

More Long Beach development updates...

https://lbpost.com/longbeachize/addi...-magnolia-2020

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 11:17 PM

"Bombshell evidence" of fault lines, that can't be good.

Multiple Earthquake-Causing Fault Lines Found Under, Through Proposed Site Of New Hollywood Skyscrapers

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mu...rs/ar-BB1741XD

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
Well, it is Robert Silverstein being quoted, so it's not surprising he's saying something of this nature. I thought this USGS report came out a while ago.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:20 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiorted9 View Post
More Long Beach development updates...

https://lbpost.com/longbeachize/addi...-magnolia-2020
Yeah i have to backtrack. Sorry folks. THIS is what I saw getting built. The lot right next door is where the other massive project is supposed to go. Not sure if this has any connection to the other project but they are part of the same massive parking lot.

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 28, 2020 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:

Multiple Earthquake-Causing Fault Lines Found Under, Through Proposed Site Of New Hollywood Skyscrapers

I thought they already discovered these same fault lines years ago and that's why the original plan was cancelled and the new towers had their footprints shifted.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 5:07 AM

Quote:

Isn’t the safest for skyscrapers to be built on top of the fault lines? Since waves increase in power the farther they move out from the epicenter?? In SD they built these twin towers above a fault line and the ground floor park space is even called Fault Line Park with an art installation showing where the line runs through

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 11:45 AM

Great to see Downtown Long Beach hitting its stride. It's been a while since I've been down there. When this whole COVID mess is over I'm going to make it a point to visit the downtown area. So much potential with Downtown Long Beach.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 9:14 PM

Same. I'm glad construction is still going during this stupid virus epidemic.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:56 AM

^^^ Yeah I advise everyone to take a trip down. It looks drastically different than it did even 5 years ago. A friend of mine moved downtown 2 months ago, and to hear him compare it to Brooklyn was kinda interesting, he's from NYC. A few micro breweries have opened up downtown along Broadway, cider houses, new trendy spots. However, I do fear that Covid will upend all of the progress. Here's hoping it doesn't. Long Beach has soooooo much potential to be a solid 3rd city of So-Cal. IF the Angel Stadium relocation was real, I think THAT would have been enough to make Long Beach something it drastically needs to be, a major city center. No reason for it not to be when its nearly the same size as Atlanta plus or minus 20k people.

The only thing Long Beach needs is a new airport. Maybe built off shore by the breakwater where the water is still shallowish. a new second international airport is what the LA area needs since Bob hope, Long Beachs current, Ontario and John Wayne have no chance of expanding ever. Maybe sell the old airport to Disney for 2 new parks. A man can dream.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 4:08 AM

Quote:
^^^ Yeah I advise everyone to take a trip down. It looks drastically different than it did even 5 years ago. A friend of mine moved downtown 2 months ago, and to hear him compare it to Brooklyn was kinda interesting, he's from NYC. A few micro breweries have opened up downtown along Broadway, cider houses, new trendy spots. However, I do fear that Covid will upend all of the progress. Here's hoping it doesn't. Long Beach has soooooo much potential to be a solid 3rd city of So-Cal. IF the Angel Stadium relocation was real, I think THAT would have been enough to make Long Beach something it drastically needs to be, a major city center. No reason for it not to be when its nearly the same size as Atlanta plus or minus 20k people.

The only thing Long Beach needs is a new airport. Maybe built off shore by the breakwater where the water is still shallowish. a new second international airport is what the LA area needs since Bob hope, Long Beachs current, Ontario and John Wayne have no chance of expanding ever. Maybe sell the old airport to Disney for 2 new parks. A man can dream.
I never realized how nice Long Beach was, people don’t really talk about it.. at least not here in San Diego. It’s mostly just to Los Angeles and back with maybe a pit stop in Anaheim or Irvine for food. But I first explored Long Beach when I started dancing at Hamburger Mary’s in 2017, haven’t been back since though. Downtown has some beautiful architecture, not as much as LA but there’s a few gems. It almost feels like San Diego with its walkability to restaurants, shops, and bars and both having a nice waterfront

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 4:21 AM

I agree it feels like a mini San Diego. For a medium size coastal city, it has one of the cleanest downtowns I've ever seen as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations