HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 1:58 AM

54-story Onni apartment tower topped out at 1000 S. Hill Street in DTLA

One of the city's tallest residential buildings takes shape at Olympic and Hill

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
September 16, 2024

A half-year since we last checked in, Onni Group's latest apartment tower has reached its peak at the intersection of Olympic Boulevard and Hill Street in Downtown Los Angeles. Located on the site of what was previously a parking lot at 230 W. Olympic Boulevard and 1000 S. Hill Street, the 54-story building is slated to feature 685 apartments above ground-floor commercial space and parking for more than 1,000 vehicles.

IBI Group is the architect of record for the project, working off of an entitlement design from Chris Dikeakos Architects. At approximately 593 feet in height, the building would rank among the city's tallest residential buildings - albeit not as tall as the 60-story, 760-foot-tall tower originally planned.

While the tower will share the contemporary look of Onni's other Downtown towers, the project does have one notable change. Habitable space and residential units wrap the podium along Hill and Olympic, masking above-grade parking from view. That design feature has often been requested by members of the Los Angeles City Planning Commission, and has been formalized in an advisory notice to developers.
. . . .

Hunter Kerhart Architectural Photography

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusBy View Post
The city council needs to be expanded so places like downtown can have better representation.
Agreed. It'd be great to have a true YIMBY representing DTLA, Hollywood, Koreatown, etc. I'm sure the YIMBY candidates wouldn't always win in those neighborhoods, but they'd have much better shots if districts were small enough that each of those neighborhoods had their own.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 6:40 PM

Skyline shot showing, among other things, the skin of Figueroa Eight from a distance. It looks fantastic! From LA Reddit:

Old Posted Today, 6:02 AM

A walk around DTLA

As an ardent DTLA booster I took a 2 mile walk around downtown this Sunday since I hadn't been there since April. Since before the pandemic it's two steps forward and one step back. No forrest of construction cranes anymore but hopefully we will see some soon. Broadway around 8th and 9th looked a bit sad but at least the people playing chess were in front of the great Il Caffe at the Eastern Columbia. Sad to see that the Paul Smith store beside the Orpheum has closed. Maybe a bit too upscale at this point. Zinque restaurant was busy. The new Onni tower is wonderful and will bring more people to the area. Glad to see the new Adidas store finally open on Broadway & 8th. New life! The Apple Store at the Tower Theatre was packed since the new iPhone debut. Nice to see. I suppose there's some legal reason the United Artists Theatre is now called the United. Sounds dumb. Their upcoming bookings don't seem as numerous as when it was the Theatre at the Ace Hotel. The Ace Hotel is sorely missed and the cool bistro look restaurant is sitting empty. Even though there's people staying there now the block feels less active. I wish there was something happening with the gorgeous old Hambergers/May Co.building. Glad to see that Shake Shack survived them closing 6 other LA locations. Does anyone know what's happening with the Garfield Bldg. on 8th and Olive? It looks so forlorn. The sold sign is taken down and there's more graffiti. I thought it was going to be a boutique hotel? Is it moving forward? So many empty storefronts across from the Athletic Club. Does anyone know if anything's happening in the restored corner of 7th and Olive? Bottega Louie was busy at 2:30 pm. The new Taco Bell Cantina was a fresh bright spot up 7th. Fig and 7th block looks like a real city. Are the Beaudry and Mitsui Tower renting quickly?
The new Colburn Music school Gehry addition is starting to rise which was exciting to see. Grand Ave. up by the Music Center, Disney Hall, MOCA and Broad Museum looks sparkling. I hope the new Pershing Square facelift is somewhat decent but I'm scared. My 5 top wishes are to see that exciting apt. break ground on 8th and Grand across from Whole Foods. The Onni Towers around the LA Times bldg. That long ago announced 30 story apt bldg. beside Grand Central Market on the Taco House sad site on Hill and 3rd. It seems such a prime corner. I hope that something big gets built on Olympic and Figueroa and of course hope Oceanside gets sold and finished. DTLA is still such a great urban core that just needs much more but has progressed so much in the last 20 years. I still have high hopes.

Old Posted Today, 6:08 AM

Olympic Blvd between the freeways and Main St. could be a nice boulevard but looks so dead and barren. With the new Onni Tower giving it such prominence I wish the city could plan putting in a median with trees since the street is so wide and plant shade trees along the length of those blocks. It could be a green belt crossing downtown. Hopefully the street will see more development. It seems the city dosen't have any real plan for downtown. At least with crooked Huizar it got some attention.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations