HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 7:26 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Never eaten at Taco Bell's, I only like Mexican food if it's very well executed.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 12:07 PM

N.B. company plans to re-establish KFC in St. John’s

Source: The Telegram
Date: Dec 12, 2012
Author: Daniel MacEachern

Quote:
The restaurant group working to fill the KFC void outside the St. John’s area says it wants to do the same within the city.
After The Telegram reported this week that Mary Brown’s had bought two St. John’s KFC outlets and was considering purchasing the remaining five, the New Brunswick-based Franchise Management Inc. said it hopes to open six locations next year.

Dwight Fraser, the company’s president, said Tuesday it opened a KFC in Clarenville last week — one of the locations lost when multiple-franchise owner Renee Marquis elected not to renew her 10 franchise leases but instead open a chain of family restaurants called Oppy’s Diner. Marquis’s decision meant the only KFCs in the province as of October were the seven in St. John’s and a small outlet in Happy Valley- Goose Bay, but Fraser said FMI is accelerating plans to rebuild KFC’s presence in Newfoundland and Labrador.

“Everything is rolling along on schedule,” he said. “We opened in Clarenville last Saturday, and we’re very, very happy with how that’s turned out.” FMI expects to open KFCs in Corner Brook in the second week of January, in Lewisporte, Deer Lake and Carbonear in the third week of January, in Marystown the first week of February, and in Grand Falls-Windsor and Gander in mid- to late February. “These are just targets, but we’re far enough along in construction that we’re hoping to hit those dates....”
http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...C-inSt-Johns/1

Depending on this outcome I wonder if any potentially new KFC locations will include a Taco-Bell?? I've eaten there before and it's not the best place to say the least, but when you're jonesing for a cheap taco it gives you an option. Plus this is fast food we're talking about so obviously moderation is a key factor here.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 12:23 PM

I'm for any increase in options or availabilty of services .. even if it's an influx of Mary Browns and KFCs

and yes hopefully a taco bell is attached to one of the new ones .. I personally really enjoy it .. as a fast food option (in moderation of course gots ta keep me figure)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 11:24 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Maybe Alberta's Mucho Burrito can come instead. They're waaaay better than any other chain in Canada except Taco Del Mar (but still better). Website

I mean, there are Mary Brown's locations in AB, make it a fair trade of sorts.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Maybe Alberta's Mucho Burrito can come instead. They're waaaay better than any other chain in Canada except Taco Del Mar (but still better). Website

I mean, there are Mary Brown's locations in AB, make it a fair trade of sorts.
Taco Time is pretty good; although, i only had it once.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 3:48 AM

Forgot to say that Athletes World is having a closing sale in the mall! This is a larger store so we could either see a couple of stores go there or a bit more of a major store. Maybe that Apple type of store will go there?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Forgot to say that Athletes World is having a closing sale in the mall! This is a larger store so we could either see a couple of stores go there or a bit more of a major store. Maybe that Apple type of store will go there?
This would be a big enough space for, say, an H&M? Hmmmm........

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
This would be a big enough space for, say, an H&M? Hmmmm........
maybe... but H&Ms are usually quite large, more along the lines of urban planet's size

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Come on, another Walmart!

lol JK

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Can someone please remind me where Athletes World is? I can't picture it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Can someone please remind me where Athletes World is? I can't picture it.
It's in the wing just down from Lawton's. I can't remember the last time I set foot inside that store.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
It's in the wing just down from Lawton's. I can't remember the last time I set foot inside that store.
Oh yeah. Well, goes to show how much I go there since I couldn't remember where it was.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 3:50 PM

I heard through a former colleague of my wife that La Senza on Stavanger is closing. That's not too surprising seeing there are two other locations at both the Village and Avalon Malls. Having a lingerie boutique store in the middle of a power centre does seem like an odd fit. If this is a true, I wonder what would go in this location?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 7:21 PM

FYI. Athlete's World closing in Avalon Mall is not just a regional thing. They are closing down nationally all across Canada. There is an announcement on their website. http://www.athletesworld.ca

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 7:27 PM

Not surprised by this. Doesn't seem like the kind of store you would see at a power centre. There will always be stores like that though coming and going at centres like that.

Quote:
I heard through a former colleague of my wife that La Senza on Stavanger is closing. That's not too surprising seeing there are two other locations at both the Village and Avalon Malls. Having a lingerie boutique store in the middle of a power centre does seem like an odd fit. If this is a true, I wonder what would go in this location?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
FYI. Athlete's World closing in Avalon Mall is not just a regional thing. They are closing down nationally all across Canada. There is an announcement on their website. http://www.athletesworld.ca
Yeah I thought I had heard that. To bad I guess but the store had become pretty crappy.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 9:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
maybe... but H&Ms are usually quite large, more along the lines of urban planet's size
The H&M in Moncton is essentially a mini department store. It ate up about four storefronts in Champlain Place and is roughly twice the size of our Urban Planet.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 9:51 PM

Yeah the smallest H&M I was ever in still took up three floors of a building, and was about the size of say Winners/Homesense? H&M probably haven't opened up shop yet in St. John's because of the lack of vacant space they'd need.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 11:35 PM

The one in Halfax doesn't seem that large, but it's still bigger then any space available in the Avalon mall.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 11:38 PM

Who owns the building that is currently leased out to Cabot Ford on the Avalon Mall Parking Lot? If the Avalon Mall didnt buy this up when Tom Woodford went under, they were pretty stupid. If they don't own it, they should definitely enquirer about obtaining it. It would give them a huge piece of property for another parking lot box store, especially if they want to woo H&M or even Old Navy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's