HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 6:45 PM
Ignore these four words.

Just another update. They're working fast in spite of the weather.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 7:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

its pcl they have winter down to an art form

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 7:48 PM

Lots of insulated tarps and hot air heaters from my viewpoint of the project

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 10:08 PM

That's solid progress!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 4:47 AM

Still no word about the larger and expanded True North Square which was to have been announced in fall 2016. What was implied was due to demand, there would be more towers or expanded heights.
It has been suggested by some on here that the Flagship Liquor mart debacle is the reason some say the Sutton Place Hotel is not finalized.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 3:19 PM

I'm not sure if anything was actually announced. I thought all they said was interest is higher than anticipated.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 3:22 PM

Can we call this U/C yet? Re-bar is above grade at the elevator core. Grasping at straws here or??..

But yes, good progress!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 3:54 PM
the first stamp is free

Current T/O roof is at 87m for the residential building, and 78m for the office building.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 6:19 PM
surely you agree with me

11th and 17th tallest buildings in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 6:22 PM
surely you agree with me

the office building doesn't look that tall.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 6:59 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
~78m is to top of mechanical (elevator/stairwell). The majority of the roof will be closer to ~ 71m.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Still no word about the larger and expanded True North Square which was to have been announced in fall 2016. What was implied was due to demand, there would be more towers or expanded heights.
It has been suggested by some on here that the Flagship Liquor mart debacle is the reason some say the Sutton Place Hotel is not finalized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm not sure if anything was actually announced. I thought all they said was interest is higher than anticipated.
I've said it a bunch of times... as much as I want their "announcement" to be true, that's a typical statement made to help draw more leasing/marketing attention. Those are things people say to get tenants through the door.

The figures for Winnipeg's commercial markets do not at all support the idea that this project would be over-leased at well-over-market rates. I WISH that was the case but but that's like believing in the tooth fairy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
While by no means short, the sheer volume of space is what's driven the "largest private project" mantra...

Still, the thing looks sexy.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 6:24 PM

From my vantage point, looks like the last of the ramp is being removed. They've got the entire north shoring wall exposed now, right into the corner.

PCL will then be able to finish the outer concrete wall in that corner. Looking at the construction cam, the wall along the north property line is at a similar length as on the west property line.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 12:36 AM

An article in the Wpg Free Press today, Jim Ludlow mentions that the 2 towers will start to rise within a couple of months so likely by mid to about mid to late autumn, we should see the skeleton of the office towers.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 9:08 AM
Back from the dead

It's true that the market doesn't support a lot of office construction now but it also depends on which class of space we're talking about.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
It's true that the market doesn't support a lot of office construction now but it also depends on which class of space we're talking about.
It seems that most major cities in North America continue to grow and with that the increase of demand for more office space and subsequent development of more towers. Why is it that Winnipeg seems to be the exception to the rule? We always seem to hear that Winnipeg is growing yet we also hear that if any new buildings go up it only means that existing companies are relocating from older buildings to newer ones. What seems to be the reason that Winnipeg can't seem to grow its office demand like other cities instead of just the reshuffling that goes on? Is there no hope for Winnipeg in that regard? Maybe the desire to be like other growing cities just isn't a reality for Winnipeg. The population may likely continue to grow but perhaps we just won't be a city that gets larger in terms of office demand/development.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 2:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
It seems that most major cities in North America continue to grow and with that the increase of demand for more office space and subsequent development of more towers. Why is it that Winnipeg seems to be the exception to the rule? We always seem to hear that Winnipeg is growing yet we also hear that if any new buildings go up it only means that existing companies are relocating from older buildings to newer ones. What seems to be the reason that Winnipeg can't seem to grow its office demand like other cities instead of just the reshuffling that goes on? Is there no hope for Winnipeg in that regard? Maybe the desire to be like other growing cities just isn't a reality for Winnipeg. The population may likely continue to grow but perhaps we just won't be a city that gets larger in terms of office demand/development.
part of the problem is realistate agents pushing the 24$ a sqft saces in the new suburban developments harder to get them to respond to u for a smaller sqft space downtown or any space at all its weird

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 2:57 PM

I wonder how all of this snow is going to affect TNS' construction schedule? That's a lot of white stuff they'll need to clear out of that pit...

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder how all of this snow is going to affect TNS' construction schedule? That's a lot of white stuff they'll need to clear out of that pit...
They were probably ahead of schedule because of the late start to Winter, so they've got room to play with

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 3:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
I guess for now downtown Winnipeg will have to emulate Vancouver and densification will come in the form of residential.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan