HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 3:54 AM
designer&stuff

It's like the 1960s again. But instead of aluminum siding, it's glass curtain walls. Very sad.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 5:47 AM
Desert Dweller

THIS CANT BE HAPPENING. There goes another one New York. This cant happen, the Lolipop building, RIGHT next door is already being refaced, both of these refaced Glass Buildings are on Colombus Square next to the king of glass, The Time Warner Center, pretty soon all there will be is glass wrapped around the square, good lordd.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 5:51 AM

I like glass,but it belongs in China And Dubia. NY needs stone,Granite,etc. Yes,please stop NY,for your own good.

Dallases Losses,never really happended. BOA,Fountin place were both getting twins. It never happend cause of the Financial Criseseseses.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 2:23 PM
Closed account

An update on Detroits Cadillac Sq.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 11:10 PM
marcus

For Bmore, DEFINENTLY the the Maryland Casualty Company Building, also known as the Tower Building or Hearst Tower Building , deomlished in 1991 because it was structurally unstable, now it's a parking lot

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 7:43 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
An update on Detroits Cadillac Sq.

No, no, no! Bad Detroit! BAD.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Here is Toronto's:

Most were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1904 or were mindlessly demolished to make way for mundane "modern" buildings or unfortunately, parking lots. =(
omg. what a slaughter. an architect-o-caust.
i know toronto lost a lot of buildings to make way for the "new city" but holy f**ing christ.

as far as greatest loss EVER, i believe penn station was the greatest loss since the sacking of rome.
but then..i'm drunk.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 7:15 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
No, no, no! Bad Detroit! BAD.
That building was torn down decades ago. The new building will be filling a major vacant lot in the center of the city. It's bad that we lost the original building, but we certainly won't argue about the new building taking the place of a parking lot.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 7:33 PM

Lehrter Bahnhof, Berlin
Destroyed within WW2 and replaced by the new Central Station

Reichstag
Destroyed by a fire in the 30s and rebuilt in the 90s (It's actually the Dome I am talking about.)

Stadtschloß
Destroyed within WW2, later replaced by the "Palast der Republik" and probably will be rebuilt

Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche
Destroyed within WW2, ruins saved and new church built.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 6:00 PM

There are too many to list in Phoenix... pretty much the entire downtown area has been torn down.

One single building that I wish was still standing in Phoenix was originally the Clark Churchill House, which later became a part of the Phoenix Union High School:

The land sat empty for years, but now has become a part of Phoenix's "biomedical campus". Several biomedical facilities have been built, and more are planned.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 10:50 PM

Atlanta's lost a lot of great architecture... due to both the civil war and stupid leadership over the years.

I'll try and compile more lost gems... but here is my favorite:

Terminal Station:

1905-1972

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 12:27 PM

When I was a kid, I saw the beautiful city hall of my little town (Saint-Ghislain, Belgium) razed to the ground piece by piece (because of the usual -"structurally unstable" easy excuse).
It was 30 years ago, but I can even remember the smell of the dust when the dome crumbled.
It was a strange and sad way to discover the elaborate inside decoration when the walls were knock down.
The only thing they saved and ad in the new one (which was in fact older ans smaller than this one) was a massive crystal chandelier and a marble fire-place.
Also saved, but auctioned was the 4 dorique columns on the front and the impressive oak staircase (which looked like the one in Rhett Butler mansion in GONE WITH THE WIND)

The beautiful art-nouveau house on the right of the picture was the lovely villa Bodson...

...which was even more stupidly torn down 2 or 3 years ago to make place for (ugly) condos

Last edited by Victor Horta; Feb 9, 2011 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 8:43 PM
All aboard the Failboat

In Saint John we lost our old Customs house the Old General Hospital, The NBTell building still exists but was Modernized in the 70's By which I mean the art deco facade was covered in concrete pannels and forgoten and the bell Tower on the Gothic Arches came down decades ago

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 9:27 PM

Independence Mall

Philadelphia lost three city blocks for the creation of the Independence Mall, and subsequently several adjacent neighborhoods filled with architectural gems and colonial history in the neighborhoods of Franklin Square, Society Hill, and Penns Landing. Most of the initial construction was with good intention considering the leveled neighborhoods were blighted and crime ridden, unfortunately much of the neighborhoods today (with the exception of Society Hill) are filled with surface parking lots, unfriendly windowless government buildings, and unappealing indoor retail.

Just a little of what's been lost:

The three blocks of buildings behind Independence Hall (the horizon of the photo) now make up Independence Mall National Park.

Completely unrecognizable today, every building here on Dock Street is gone.

Here you can see four blocks neighboring Dock Street after they were leveled for the construction of I-95 which still serves as a barrier between Society Hill and the river.

Just north of Independence Mall the Vine Street Expressway wiped out a large portion of Franklin Square and Chinatown in the 1980s, and even more recently in the 1990s the Pennsylvania Convention Center consumed three city blocks of dense urban real estate, and in the past two years has expanded east to Broad Street taking with it two more blocks and an historic firehouse, a townhouse built in the early 1800s, the massive stone Odd Fellows Building, and illegally destroyed two designated historic landmarks on Broad Street it had agreed to preserve.

Obviously Philadelphia hasn't learned too many lessons it should have learned from the 50s. Particularly since we have a tendency to bulldoze in anticipation of projects that never come and wind up with surface lots that never seem to go away.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 9:33 PM
Don't tear anything down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi204 View Post
Stadtschloß
Destroyed within WW2, later replaced by the "Palast der Republik" and probably will be rebuilt
You forgot to mention that they aren't just "rebuilding" it, they're tearing down the beautiful Palast der Republik for a reproduction of the Schloßplatz - two wrongs don't make a right! Not only that, but generally, reproductions are a bad idea, pointless tourist things. I can't say that I would ever object to them reproducing Penn Station, but there's just something about it that irks me. We should morn the loss of beautiful old buildings, while at the same time moving forward architecturally.

From wikipedia:

For Columbus, OH, it's probably Union Station, demolished when Amtrak stopped serving Columbus.

Look how considerate they were, they left something behind!

There are just plain a lot of buildings that are no longer standing - like in this picture, maybe about half of the buildings shown are still standing, so in that regard, Columbus, comparatively, isn't too bad off compared to other cities, but, for example, that rail road workers' YMCA on the left is no longer standing. What really annoys me, though, is that I can't figure out for the life of me what that domed building is in the background - I've never seen it before, in real life or pictures, so I have no idea what it is.
Source: columbusrailroads.com

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
For D.C.: the old capital building burned down and was replaced by the new one which turned out to be better than the first
But that was before the 1940's - 50's, at which point nearly everything which was torn down began to be replaced by buildings inferior to the originals.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 9:15 PM
Don't tear anything down.

This is such a sad thread.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 9:35 PM
FUS RO DAH!

from Porto Alegre

Julio de Castilhos School

www.portoimagem.com

this portuguese colonial style train station

www.estacoesferroviarias.com.br

Cine Coliseu... destroyed to build one of the UGLIEST, most disgusting, bad looking, decadent and poorly maintained highrises in Porto Alegre

Grande Hotel (destroyed at a fire)

Edificio Abelheira, demolished to build an ugly bank building

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 9:56 PM
FUS RO DAH!

in Brazil, Rio is without a doubt the city which suffered the greatest architectural losses...

this is one example of a building demolished in Rio...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 4:59 AM

While I am a HUGE fan of the University of Texas at Austin's current main building, I am also a fan of Old Main. It was completed in 1899 and torn down in 1934 for UT's current Main Building, AKA the UT Tower. I believe Old Main had some structural problems, FWIW. But it was a beaut:

source: Texas State Library & Archives Commission: http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/exhibits/...e/ut-1903.html

source: Texas State Library & Archives Commission: http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/exhibits/...to19611-19.jpg

source: City of Austin/Austin History Center website: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/library/a...en/public2.htm

source: UT Austin's Center for American History: http://www.cah.utexas.edu/exhibits/E...bit/page2.html

source: UT Austin's Center for American History: http://www.cah.utexas.edu/exhibits/E...ge/large3.html

You can see a few more small, but interesting, shots here:

http://www.utexas.edu/tours/mainbuilding/oldmain/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture