HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Can be quite flexible as well - some inlaws rented out the 2nd flr of their graystone, until they started adopting, then it became a SFR. When the kids are grown they will clear out the 2nd floor and rent again.
The two flat is even more flexible now with Airbnb. My wife and I turned our first floor into one and now we use it as an entertainment space during the week if we are grilling and block it off for family that's in town. Once we start having kids it will be perfect accomodations for visiting in-laws until we need the space like you described.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 2:49 PM
The City

^ Isn’t the city pretty strict with AirBnb though? Don’t you have to have a license to operate one? And isn’t it usually only allowed in commercially zoned sites?

Or are you just flying “under the radar” so to speak?

I’ve considered trying to AirBnb some of my apartments but haven’t because of the above concerns

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Isn’t the city pretty strict with AirBnb though? Don’t you have to have a license to operate one? And isn’t it usually only allowed in commercially zoned sites?

Or are you just flying “under the radar” so to speak?

I’ve considered trying to AirBnb some of my apartments but haven’t because of the above concerns
I have two Airbnbs, one in my private residence which has most of the rules exempted as usual for owner ocuppied. The other is in a 6 unit building that has B3-2 zoning so it is totally legit. You can make ,3X+ rent in the summer time, about breaks even in the winter.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 6:37 PM

RPM on the River

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 11:44 PM

not really sure where to put this but thought it had some relevance and interest to those in this forum ..

Cesar Pelli, architect of Malaysian towers and designer of several buildings in Chicago, dies at 92

"In Chicago, buildings designed by Pelli and his New Haven, Conn. firm of Pelli Clarke Pelli include the 181 W. Madison St. office building, the Gerald Ratner Athletics Center at the University of Chicago, the DePaul Theater School, the Wintrust Arena at McCormick Place, and the under-construction Wolf Point East."

"He also designed the planned, but never-built, Miglin-Beitler Skyneedle for Chicago developers Lee Miglin and Paul Beitler. Proposed in 1988, the 125-story, 2,000-foot-tall skyscraper would have been the world's tallest building"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...7yq-story.html

Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 12:09 AM

444 N Orleans

Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 2:46 AM

905 W Fulton

Last edited by harryc; Jul 21, 2019 at 12:29 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 12:26 PM

215 N Peoria

Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 10:44 PM

FYI for anyone who uses my new construction permit map. It goes back to January 1, 2013 now:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19u...B0&usp=sharing

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 12:21 AM

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 12:30 AM

11x0 W Fulton

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 12:52 AM

Carol and Carpenter

July 17

SW corner of Carol and Carpenter - what project is this ?

Chicago | Fulton Market by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 1:20 AM

^
According to Curbed West Loop dev map
7. 328 N. Carpenter (312 N Carpenter St)Chicago, IL 60607
This seven-story combination retail and office development was approved by the Chicago Plan Commission this summer for the corner of Carpenter Street and Carroll Avenue. The project comes from New York-based developer Madison Capital, Washington D.C.-based ASB Real Estate Investment, and Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture. The 100-foot-tall, brick-clad structure will feature 30 on-site parking places and a rooftop deck.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 2:59 AM
BANNED

^^ Harry doesn’t know?! We have hit yet another new peak in the Boom! What a time to be alive!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
RS 1 doesn't exist outside of places liek Saunganash or the mansion district in Old Irving Park. What a piece of shit Maldanado is.

Oh well, I'm sure stopping people from building immediately next to the 606 won't just push the developers one block over... What a bunch of idiots... The sooner zoning is pried from the hands of aldercreatures the better...
I’m happy he went all they way to RS-1, because if implemented this has no way of surviving a court challenge. RS-1 would literally make everything on the 1300 block of Maplewood non-conforming, even RS-3 is absurdly low for the context.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Here's the project at 45th/Cottage from the 4 bus on this dismal morning.

They're making quick work, barely 1 floor done 2 months ago! Will be nice to have a public plaza in Bronzeville once this is done

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 10:52 PM
BANNED

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...n-market-hotel

July 22, 2019 10:43 AM |updated 4 hours ago

Architect plans 20-story Fulton Market hotel

FitzGerald Associates Architects wants to develop a 200-room hotel on this surface parking lot at 920 W. Lake St.

After striking out with a plan to build apartments in the fast-changing Fulton Market District, Chicago architect Patrick FitzGerald is turning to the hotel market.

FitzGerald this week will publicly unveil a proposal for a 20-story, 200-room hotel at 920 W. Lake St. in the trendy corridor, according to the West Loop Community Organization, a neighborhood group hosting a meeting to review the development plan.

The proposal for the northeast corner of Lake and Sangamon streets adds to a recent batch of hotels in the works for the former meatpacking district and a run of planned buildings in the corridor that would rise around 20 stories, drastically changing the physical character of a neighborhood known for its low-slung industrial buildings.

FitzGerald Associates Architects pivoted from its original plan to develop an 81-unit apartment building on the site. That plan, floated in 2015, didn't square with 27th Ward Ald. Walter Burnett's policy of blocking new residential development in Fulton Market north of Lake Street.

The site is a parking lot next to the Lake Street Lofts apartment building, which FitzGerald also owns. The newly proposed hotel would rise 244 feet and include about 4,500 square feet of ground-floor retail space, according to WLCO Executive Director Carla Agostinelli.

A FitzGerald spokesman confirmed it is teaming up with Skokie-based real estate investor F&F Realty on a planned hotel for the site but declined to share specifics of the proposal. FitzGerald and F&F recently worked together on an apartment tower at 727 W. Madison St., the West Loop's tallest building west of the Kennedy Expressway.

The brand for the hotel is unclear, but Agostinelli said it would be a "common brand that people will feel comfortable staying in without having to pay high-end dollars" for some of the other hotel options materializing in Fulton Market.

FitzGerald's hotel is one of the largest proposed to date in a neighborhood where the hospitality market is starting to fill up. With corporate guest demand expected to rise from Google, McDonald's, Mondelez International and other companies moving into Fulton Market, developers have now opened or proposed hotels there totaling well over 1,000 rooms. Among those that have opened: the 159-room Ace hotel, which is up for sale next to Google's Midwest headquarters, and the 182-room Hoxton Hotel that opened in April at 200 N. Green St. The 119-room Nobu Hotel is on track to open later this year at 155 N. Peoria St.

Several others have been proposed this year as the neighborhood transitions into a corporate destination and with Chicago on a streak of seven consecutive years of record-high tourism to the city.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 2:10 AM

I hope Curbed updates the West Loop Construction article soon. I can't keep track of all the proposed buildings there.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:54 PM

Flicker hates my pics.... can’t post

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Flicker hates my pics.... can’t post
Flickr hates us all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development