HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 9:57 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightOn! View Post
Allegiant is approved for US - Mexico service! Curious to see what they follow through for SAT.

http://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=DOT-OST-2019-0067
New routes; probably. However, I would not expect too much. They already have an established focus base at AUS.

I know SAT was specifically identified...so, let's see what happens.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
New routes; probably. However, I would not expect too much. They already have an established focus base at AUS.

I know SAT was specifically identified...so, let's see what happens.

I only fly out of SA. If I have to connect it'll be either Houston or Dallas. Will not travel to Austin to much traffic on I-35 no thanks.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 4:13 AM

At least we still have the direct flight to Leon to look forward to, if they can get the aircraft delays figured out.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 9:25 PM

This is a comparison of Quarter 4 (October, November, December) 2017 vs 2018 passengers stats of where people fly to/from SAT. These numbers are PDEW (Passengers Daily Each Way) to see which routes are growing/shrinking. Divide the number by 2, as its counts passengers flying DFW-SAT and SAT-DFW each day. These numbers are passengers final destinations, do not include connections ie if someone flies SAT-DFW-DCA, it does not count towards the passenger count of SAT-DFW, only SAT-DCA. To save time, I only compared airports with at least 100 PDEW to/from SAT.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 9:28 PM

April 2019 stats are out for SAT.

April 2019 traffic up 3% compared to April 2018

YTD traffic is up 5.7%

https://www.sanantonio.gov/Portals/0...-28-152515-247

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 9:50 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by okinawatyphoon View Post
At least we still have the direct flight to Leon to look forward to, if they can get the aircraft delays figured out.
What's your source on that? I noticed they dropped the route from the SAT website.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
What's your source on that? I noticed they dropped the route from the SAT website.
I have some connections in the industry. Houston was also affected by the same situation. If you do some google-ing, you can piece some of this together as well. Hopefully it will be resolved soon!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:56 PM
Member since 2001

Volaris adding a new route from SAT this October (SAT-MTY).

The flight will be operated three times a week.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Volaris adding a new route from SAT this October (SAT-MTY).

The flight will be operated three times a week.
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 7:20 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by okinawatyphoon View Post
I have some connections in the industry. Houston was also affected by the same situation. If you do some google-ing, you can piece some of this together as well. Hopefully it will be resolved soon!
Same, if only because I want to do a long weekend in Guanajuanto and connecting through MEX is a pain

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 7:39 PM

SAT Record Growth Continues

A 7% increase over May 2018. Highest May on record. 35 straight months of continued growth.

https://www.sanantonio.gov/SAT/Media...nger-Retention

Also, SAT is moving on to Phase II of the strategic development plan.

https://www.sanantonio.gov/SAT/Media...tional-Airport

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 1:41 PM

I must have been living in a hole but I just learned that Oklahoma City has a street car system.

https://oklahoman.com/article/563554...car-efficiency

I know a lot of people were against the high cost and use of taxes to pay for one here in SA but boy oh boy do I wish we had one. From the museums and Pearl to the many downtown stops and the Missions...I don’t think ridership would be an issue.

Here is the OKC rider map http://okcstreetcar.com/ride-guide/route-map/

Article on it opening a year ago https://oklahoman.com/article/561765...n-for-business

If there is a street car or subway option offered in places I visit, here or abroad, I’m always going to use them. I really believe San Antonio lends itself to this type of transportation in its core and it’s a shame that egos, personal vendettas, and typical politics ended it all. The initial route they were thinking of going with wasn’t ideal. I think any street car route needs to start at Broadway and Hildebrand and then weave itself through downtown before ending at the missions.

As UTSA builds up there downtown campus, an East/West route becomes more important and that connectivity over towards the ATT Center makes more sense.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 2:13 PM
JACKinBeantown

Street cars are great and all, but they're still using the streets and adding to traffic. A dedicated rail or electric bus lane is a better option for avoiding traffic and getting passengers from place to place more efficiently while not adding to air pollution and/or using gas.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Street cars are great and all, but they're still using the streets and adding to traffic. A dedicated rail or electric bus lane is a better option for avoiding traffic and getting passengers from place to place more efficiently while not adding to air pollution and/or using gas.
Traffic will always be a problem no matter the option that is chosen. Uber and Lyft seem like a majority of the vehicles downtown when I’m in the area. Just trolling the area waiting for a ping to initiate a pick up.

Electric buses are interesting. ABQ has had their own set of issues https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...213-story.html

Here’s another insightful article on the switchover to an electric bus fleet.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...attery/591655/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 5:14 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Traffic will always be a problem no matter the option that is chosen.
Exactly why there should be options to avoid it and not add to it. I give San Antonio a couple decades to figure that out. I love the city, but I don't love that attitude about it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:59 PM

As long as some form of protected dedicated lane is provided, it can be streetcar, bus rapid transit, or trackless trains (which is just a bus made to look like a streetcar and is much cheaper), it would be worthwhile and much needed in the urban core, connecting east/west, north/south. Traffic will always be there since SA is a car-centric, urban sprawled city. But there needs to be alternatives so people can get out of their cars, especially as the urban core continues to see denser populations.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 6:41 PM

Woot!! 3 years now!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 10:34 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
Glad to hear... Sounds like if SAT doesn't surpass 11 million this year, it'll get damn close! Hopefully the city can get ahead of the growth a bit and start lining up money for the expansion. I'm anxious to see the schematics for it.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 1:17 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Glad to hear... Sounds like if SAT doesn't surpass 11 million this year, it'll get damn close! Hopefully the city can get ahead of the growth a bit and start lining up money for the expansion. I'm anxious to see the schematics for it.
And that expansion should include a train from the airport to downtown with one stop at the Quarry, one at the zoo/Alamo Stadium/Witte Museum and another at the Pig & Pearl.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 8:58 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

I believe it'll be around 10,750,000 PAX for 2019 (based on this year's growth so far). SAT is growing at 6%-7% Y-O-Y in 2019 compared to just under 11% in 2018.

Also, let's quell the expansion talk for the time being. We're getting a little ahead of ourselves. It'll come...but, not in the forthcoming few years. Am I mistaken in thinking that the port has just started a developing new masterplan? If so, that will need to be completed, then approved by the FAA, before any thought of financing and constructing an expansion at SAT.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio