HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I am not aware of any structural issues. I expect there are business reasons. Rumour has it they have been doing preliminary tire kicking.
No structural concerns that I have heard of.

The building is 35 years old though (built in early 80's) and some components (plumbing, electrical, curtain wall etc.) are probably nearing end of life and require major work to extend the life of the building. If you are doing work on one you might as well do everything while things are opened up.

I can't see multiple crowns building new at the same time though. I don't think Regina could handle that much additional vacant office space at the same time, and the optics to the government wouldn't be ideal.

SGI needs a new building which makes me think SaskTel and SaskPower would be renos if necessary.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:14 PM
Hmm....

^IIRC, Saskpower was doing exploratory work on a Reno a while ago; I thought there was some news coverage about it. Regardless, it's a gem of a building, so I can't see them leaving it behind.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenskca View Post
No structural concerns that I have heard of.

The building is 35 years old though (built in early 80's) and some components (plumbing, electrical, curtain wall etc.) are probably nearing end of life and require major work to extend the life of the building. If you are doing work on one you might as well do everything while things are opened up.

I can't see multiple crowns building new at the same time though. I don't think Regina could handle that much additional vacant office space at the same time, and the optics to the government wouldn't be ideal.

SGI needs a new building which makes me think SaskTel and SaskPower would be renos if necessary.
Here's a possibility: Developer builds a new building for SaskTel and buys the SaskTel building. The SaskTel building is renovated to suit SGI. SGI leases the building and the developer buys the SGI building. The SGI building is fully rehabbed and re-clad. SaskPower leases the SGI building for its head office and also moves operations people to its new warehouse complex, wherever that ends up. The SaskPower building is converted to condos or a hotel.

Think Big

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:18 PM

Quote:
I think he is using "banking" in a broad sense.
How much broader can it go? sperm bank? blood bank?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
How much broader can it go? sperm bank? blood bank?
Financial sector

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Here's a possibility: Developer builds a new building for SaskTel and buys the SaskTel building. The SaskTel building is renovated to suit SGI. SGI leases the building and the developer buys the SGI building. The SGI building is fully rehabbed and re-clad. SaskPower leases the SGI building for its head office and also moves operations people to its new warehouse complex, wherever that ends up. The SaskPower building is converted to condos or a hotel.

Think Big
Love it! I have also always thought the SaskPower building would be an amazing hotel. It already looks like it would be!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Love it! I have also always thought the SaskPower building would be an amazing hotel. It already looks like it would be!
Actually, a few years ago, the SaskPower building was used as a set and depicted as a Las Vegas hotel in a Christian Slater movie. Don't remember which movie it was, but the film producers made the SaskPower building look good!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Actually, a few years ago, the SaskPower building was used as a set and depicted as a Las Vegas hotel in a Christian Slater movie. Don't remember which movie it was, but the film producers made the SaskPower building look good!
Dolan's Cadillac

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Dolan's Cadillac

Boy, that was fast!!! Thank you!!!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:

Think Big
I'll think realistic.

SGI puts out RFP for new building and purchasing their old tower. No developers want 200,000 SF of empty office. Nothing happens.

SaskPower rents some of the plentiful office space as swing space while it renovates it's main building.

SaskTel renovates slowly, as they have been downsizing anyway.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 4:36 PM

its coming to a street near you

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
its coming to a street near you
I hope not, because I don't think Parliament Ave can support an office tower for SGI, lol.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I hope not, because I don't think Parliament Ave can support an office tower for SGI, lol.
They can bulldoze acres around it and give the workers all the parking they want.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Build it on parliament avenue and implement the new "parking maximums" - there's lots of street parking in the area, no?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Could a hotel possibly be incorporated into this development? A mix of ground floor retail, hotel and office space. At least then the hotel could take up a chunk of the space. I also wish this city block redevelopment could also have a new Cineplex Theatre built on it, maybe wrapping around the 1855 Rose Street tower in an L-shape.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Could a hotel possibly be incorporated into this development? A mix of ground floor retail, hotel and office space. At least then the hotel could take up a chunk of the space. I also wish this city block redevelopment could also have a new Cineplex Theatre built on it, maybe wrapping around the 1855 Rose Street tower in an L-shape.
I want us to finally get a high end Scotiabank Theatre like Saskatoon.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 4:36 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
I want us to finally get a high end Scotiabank Theatre like Saskatoon.
My preferred locations would be right on Vic between Hamilton or as part of the now dead library redevelopment.

Having it on Broad could liven up that section of downtown though.

All pie-in-the-sky dreaming of course.

Last edited by Nathan; Mar 1, 2016 at 5:48 PM. Reason: Correcting auto-correct's failure.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
My preferred locations would be right on Vic between Hamilton or as part of the now dead library redevelopment.

Having it on Broad could liven up that section of downtown though.

All pue-in-the-sky dreaming of course.
My only dream would be that it be included into another project to hopefully deter something that looks like Saskatoon's, and maybe come out more like Vancouver or Montreal's.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 9:24 PM

The west-facing side of this building resembles the front end/grill of a later model Rolls Royce.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
The west-facing side of this building resembles the front end/grill of a later model Rolls Royce.

You used to have one right:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan