HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Winnipeg wins for weather in the summer, won't argue that. I'll take a chinook a few times a month over a marathon of -20 for 4 months straight though.
In the coldest month (January) the average daytime maximum in Winnipeg is -11°C, and it's -9 and -8 in December and February respectively. Not sure where you're getting your numbers, but they're fantastically incorrect.

You're correct about the summer, hands down, and that it the most important season in any event. Considerably longer growing season too.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
I disagree completely with this statement, Winnipeg has a ton of potrential with it's history but the city is just dirty and run down. There are like 3 nice new buildings in the downtown and the suburbs look the same as any suburbs in North America built in the last 40 years. What is this superior culture you speak of? did Winnipeg somehow turn into Broadway or something?

I get that people have civic pride and all that, but this "superior culture" argument everyone tries to use against Calgary is hilarious. Whatever you have in Winnipeg we have here, and vise versa.
I wonder why people choose to travel to Venice or Vienna, Savannah or Seville? After all, there are many more newer "nice buildings" in Dallas or Atlanta or perhaps even Boise. I would think those cities should be travel hotspots. You should ask Michelin why they give Winnipeg three stars and Calgary two. Better food culture in Winnipeg too.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In the coldest month (January) the average daytime maximum in Winnipeg is -11°C, and it's -9 and -8 in December and February respectively. Not sure where you're getting your numbers, but they're fantastically incorrect.

You're correct about the summer, hands down, and that it the most important season in any event. Considerably longer growing season too.
Those are the highs, the lows are closer to -20, so the median would be in the middle. For comparison sake our lows are about the same as your highs in the winter. You can have the slightly warmer summers, and I don't garden so I don't care about the growing season haha.

Finished arguing yet? or is your cultural superiority demanding vindication for my comments regarding our murder rate so far this year flirting with a Winnipeg norm?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:26 PM
the first stamp is free

Why are we even talking about Winnipeg in the homicide thread?

We are murder free in 2020.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:27 PM

Quote:
I wonder why people choose to travel to Venice or Vienna, Savannah or Seville? After all, there are many more newer "nice buildings" in Dallas or Atlanta or perhaps even Boise. I would think those cities should be travel hotspots. You should ask Michelin why they give Winnipeg three stars and Calgary two. Better food culture in Winnipeg too.
You're likening Winnipeg to Vienna or Venice now? that's beyond a stretch. I'll leave you to your delusions, this is beyond ridiculous now haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

Lets hope this trend continues!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Those are the highs, the lows are closer to -20, so the median would be in the middle. For comparison sake our lows are about the same as your highs in the winter. You can have the slightly warmer summers, and I don't garden so I don't care about the growing season haha.

Finished arguing yet? or is your cultural superiority demanding vindication for my comments regarding our murder rate so far this year flirting with a Winnipeg norm?
Admittedly, with respect to crime, Winnipeg had a very bad year in 2019. I can tell you that the people here are deeply disturbed about it, but the violent crime rate is by no means the worst in the country.

https://www.immigroup.com/news/top-1...rime-rate-2019

I prefer our summers, and they are considerably, not slightly, warmer and wonderfully humid. It can often reach 30° here in early May, sometimes even late April. On a day like today, it is warmer in Winnipeg by the way, I dream of sitting outside on those sultry summer nights enjoying a cold one in shorts and a T. I enjoy heading to the lakes until well into October. That's subjective. I'm glad you like chinooks, they give me nosebleeds.

Yep, done arguing. Something tells me we're not far apart on many other issues.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
You're likening Winnipeg to Vienna or Venice now? that's beyond a stretch. I'll leave you to your delusions, this is beyond ridiculous now haha.
Absolutely not. I did not make that comparison. It's just that you suggested that a city should be judged on how many newer "nicer" buildings it has.

Said buildings are a dime a dozen, and almost always aesthetically sterile.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:57 PM

You clearly missed the point, but that's OK, I'm moving on now.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 7:16 PM

So no more in Toronto since the 1st of January. Last year by January 3rd Toronto had already hit 3 murders so off to a better start so far I suppose. Who knows what the gangs have in store for each other and their communities this year however.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
So no more in Toronto since the 1st of January. Last year by January 3rd Toronto had already hit 3 murders so off to a better start so far I suppose. Who knows what the gangs have in store for each other and their communities this year however.
Same in Winnipeg. Nice to see that the local criminal element has been sticking to their New Year's resolution of not killing anyone.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:

We are at 1 in Winnipeg!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:30 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I don't think so?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:56 PM

He’s the only one that knows about it yet. So it would seem.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 9:01 PM

OMG rrskylar killed somebody

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Admittedly, with respect to crime, Winnipeg had a very bad year in 2019. I can tell you that the people here are deeply disturbed about it, but the violent crime rate is by no means the worst in the country.

https://www.immigroup.com/news/top-1...rime-rate-2019

Not the worst but indeed is one of the wost. Very bad compared to most of the the country. That same article says Winnipeg has double (wtf?) the national average when it comes to homicides and sexual assaults. The fact small places like Thompson and Regina might be slightly worse should be no consolation. Its a disgrace. Out of the bigger cities Winnipeg is the worse.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 9:38 PM
the first stamp is free

^ shame on you Winnipeg!

These timeouts don't seem to be working. Straight to bed, no desert for you.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 10:03 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
^ shame on you Winnipeg!
Yes indeed.

Last edited by Luisito; Jan 9, 2020 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Winnipeg has a ton of potrential with it's history but the city is just dirty and run down. .
Not really. It is not the most beautiful city but I wouldn't say its run down or dirty. Its only a few areas that are shitty, the city for the most part is pretty nice.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I mean, the people are pretty fucking shitty. It's bad enough I have to live surrounded by Thunder Bayers. I'd probably kill myself if I had to be surrounded by Texans.
Did you have a bad experience there or something? I bet places like Austin are pretty cool. I am sure there are a lot of cool places and people in Texas. Seems like a rather harsh thing to say about people.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 10:34 PM

There is a BIG difference between safety and crime stats.

London is ranked at #10 but has a murder, rape, assault, drug, break & enter, and shooting rates below the national average but it was kicked up to the top 10 because it has a much higher rate of fraud.

When people think of crime and whether they want to move to a city or feel safe being in it they think of their personal safety.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada