HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 6:23 PM
Winnipeg

I think the reason why this building is ugly is because it's designed to be "ugly", or "unpleasing to the eye" to some, to be more neutral. I don't find it ugly, instead I find it unique. I see this and WAG Inuit Art Gallery as a splash of LA in Winnipeg, adding to the flavour of downtown. Might be reasonable considering which firm designed them.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 9:09 PM

I think when this and the IAC are done that corner is going to be super interesting with those two buildings, WAG, Plug-In/Buhler, and Downtown Commons. All have similar aesthetics but are very different in actuality. Kind of cool. Would love to see Balmoral get some interesting "white" streetscaping and art installations. Would be especially awesome if/when the Plug-In expansion ever happens to the main floor of the Commons building.

Also when the floor-to-ceiling glass podium is done I think it'll really polish this building up nice.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:54 PM

I'm not at all a fan of the trend of less windows these days, but it's just cost cutting. Brings it within the cheapest confines of the current energy codes, and obviously windows cost money. Furthermore, building up is more expensive than building wide so it's an exercise in covering the site as much as possible to get a unit ie revenue count that typically would require a taller, and more expensive structure.

I don't mind the latter, but I don't like how Soviet these "interesting window size" designs will look in, like, two years.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 6:24 PM

^ Just look at 444 Kennedy... this is basically the 21st century version of that building.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 8:51 AM

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Just look at 444 Kennedy... this is basically the 21st century version of that building.
Agreed... and 444 Kennedy looks quite Soviet...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:55 PM

I think this building achieves what 444 Kennedy horribly attempted. The multiple angles and differing heights, as well as a much more varied use of sporadically placed windows make this building much more enjoyable to look at. I think it’s fun and it will look interesting at night. Honestly couldn’t ask for a better building to help act as a backdrop to the new art gallery addition.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:57 PM

No country celebrates mediocrity quite like this one.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I think this building achieves what 444 Kennedy horribly attempted. The multiple angles and differing heights, as well as a much more varied use of sporadically placed windows make this building much more enjoyable to look at. I think it’s fun and it will look interesting at night. Honestly couldn’t ask for a better building to help act as a backdrop to the new art gallery addition.
A fair assessment. I'm not writing this one off, far from it. Just a little uncertain at this point in the process

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:38 AM

Do we know if This is stucco or panelling?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 2:17 AM

The architect(s) who designed those windows has never shopped for curtains in their life.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Well, I'm sure 444 Kennedy looked like this for its day. Point being is that this, even if a little neat, will age very poorly and quickly.

The reason, atleast for me, why it will age quickly because the design just screams cost cutting. It may actually look good to some (not me) but still screams cost cutting. That's why it will look worse, quicker in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
No country celebrates mediocrity quite like this one.
In fairness, I'd rather have this than nothing. Easily. It could be a worse design too, but I'm specifically bemoaning this design trend. It must be respected that construction is expensive here... otherwise we simply wouldn't be able to densify our downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
The architect(s) who designed those windows has never shopped for curtains in their life.
In fairness, I wouldn't wish that hell on anyone.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 4:45 AM

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 4:07 PM

Love that shot with Buhler, Commons, this one. They really play well off each other. It's cool to see this little cluster of white buildings. Really hope it's not too long before the Commons (/Plug-In) podium get built.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Love that shot with Buhler, Commons, this one. They really play well off each other. It's cool to see this little cluster of white buildings. Really hope it's not too long before the Commons (/Plug-In) podium get built.
This cluster of buildings has risen in a very timely and efficient way.

It’s a great addition to the city and I applaud the group moving this forward.

In my mind these are the folks who now have a proven expertise in urban housing. They should be teaming up with RRC for the balance of the Market Lands site for student housing. That is what will add life and vitality to the Exchange.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The design cohesion is there, but I guess this reaffirms my distaste for the designs... especially in black and white that trio of buildings looks like a slightly more modern brutalist experiment from Soviet times.

They will help the city though. We need people downtown period.

Plus, if I'm the only one who doesn't like it then it's very much a net positive impact on downtown haha!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:40 PM

Crane coming down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Craaaaanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
And crane coming down.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
This cluster of buildings has risen in a very timely and efficient way.

It’s a great addition to the city and I applaud the group moving this forward.

In my mind these are the folks who now have a proven expertise in urban housing. They should be teaming up with RRC for the balance of the Market Lands site for student housing. That is what will add life and vitality to the Exchange.
That would be nice, RRC completely bungled their Exchange residences – that's why they're converting a few floors to more learning space. They've had significant dropouts after 1 semester. Turns out millennials do want to cook food for themselves sometimes in an appliance that isn't a microwave. The fact the residence is in the culinary arts faculty building and there's no tenant kitchens is mind boggling.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 1:47 PM

Is the Union Bank Tower the only RRC student residence in the Exchange, or are there others?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 4:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is the Union Bank Tower the only RRC student residence in the Exchange, or are there others?
correct

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan