HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 9:42 PM
effete latte-lifter

Out of sheer boredom (I'm on Funemployment until Sept) I created a CTrain Map, based on Beltliner's Buildout Plan (Plus one line of my own, a 14th Street-Crowchild-Centre Street Subway Line, represented in brown,) and in the style of the Vignelli NYC Subway map. (Only 45 and 90 degree lines, geographic vagueness.) The Centre City area is grossly out of proportion, and placement of geography is vague and relative. Lines are colour coded, instead of named after terminal points. I did it in MS Paint, and I would like to do a large version with stations on it, a key and with some mistakes corrected. (The downtown lines should not be touching, unless to indicate a shared track.) Anyway, Here it is:

larger version here.

If anyone can suggest a a free program to do a larger version with nice rounded edges and whatnot, please PM me. I am also interested in doing a google maps version at some point.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 9:57 PM
Construction Enthusiast

^ if you are going to send two lines up Centre street, why not split them up at Beddington Trail - sending one up Beddington Trail, and one up Harvest Hills Blvd?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 11:00 PM
effete latte-lifter

^^That's just my ignorance about that part of town, I actually had to look on a map to see what exactly you were talking about.
What would actually happen there, I believe after relooking at Beltliner's plan, is to have the brown line split at Country Hills, run along the pink line (Country Hills BLVD at this point, and then terminate at the intersection of Harvest Hills and Country Hills. Running it up Harvest Hills from Bedington, only to terminate at the same intersection creates a weird triangle of track that seems excessive for this part of town. I would have the terminating station at that intersection on a separate platform from the pink airport line. I will make that correction in a later version. (doing it in paint is just silly.)

I think I need to get a google maps version done as a reference before I revise the abstract version.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 11:11 PM
Motorized Hambeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Nice idea, I'm taking it one step further. I'd build myself a nice runway along the area where the rail lines were, and give ourselves a city centre airport for the corporate and private flights out there.

Edit: Boy my plan would probably piss Inglewood off something fierce! So I'd just give every resident a million bucks to be quiet. I like this unlimited money thing!
You should run for Mayor. However, since you'd REALLY piss me off (the air traffic over my house is nearly intolerable as it is) you'd have to pay me 2 million.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 11:16 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Weird triangle perhaps, but the brown line could extend up to Sage Hill, and the green line could extend to the north of Stoney Trail - both significantly past where the pink line crosses them.

Perhaps the Brown line could share a right of way with the pink line there for a bit, that could make things simpler, yes.

The brown line could end up here in the future. That a long ways from Harvest Hills Blvd, where the Green line would run up, and from the pink line cutting across by country hills blvd.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 11:35 PM
effete latte-lifter

^Sorry, is the NC line as currently planned supposed to run up Harvest Hills, or continue NW up Beddington Trail/Symons Valley road? I am confused about this. (on my map the green line is the NC line, rerouted as a subway up centre street.) Would you mind making a map for me with lines on it of this area? (using the colours I used preferably)

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 11:39 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Nice idea, I'm taking it one step further. I'd build myself a nice runway along the area where the rail lines were, and give ourselves a city centre airport for the corporate and private flights out there.

Making sure of course that it does not cause any sort of height limitations for the downtown core, something with special approaches similar to London's city centre airport.
Or this: (which is an elaborate joke.)
http://manhattanairport.org/

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 1:54 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
^Sorry, is the NC line as currently planned supposed to run up Harvest Hills, or continue NW up Beddington Trail/Symons Valley road? I am confused about this. (on my map the green line is the NC line, rerouted as a subway up centre street.) Would you mind making a map for me with lines on it of this area? (using the colours I used preferably)
One line would follow along Harvest Hills Blvd as far north as it would go, and one line would follow Beddington Trail/Symons Valley Road as far as it goes to the NW.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 2:38 AM
Round Head

Yeah, the brown line probably would only need to be a branch line down 14th street from the Circle route.

Nice work.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 4:57 AM

I like the idea of a massive passenger terminal unde or near the Calgary tower! Fantastic idea!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 9:17 AM
effete latte-lifter

Here's the first google map of Beltliner's plan, plus one more line (208/Brown) of my own invention, which now justifies itself a little better. I tried my best to follow his description of the lines, I'm pretty sure I have the southern most portion of 203 incorrect as the description gets a little vague.
Next step is to add stations, which should take a while.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF...4cfa49e855053b

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 11:19 AM
Very nice!

Fire all Aldermen. Burn city hall to the ground in a fit of insanity. Including the plans to the Peace Bridge

Huge airport. Designed like Singapore/Narita/CDG/Seoul. Spotters deck with complete view of apron and taxiways. Rename 'Ralph Klein International Airport'. Relocate airport to better location, redevelop current YYC location as mixed use area.

New Calgary tower, tallest building in the world, subsidize the cost to go up to the viewing deck. (Free)

Scrap the Duewags because they all smell horrible. Re-route West LRT To Mount Royal College. Put D60lfr on 72/73 routes. Institute Beltliners LRT Plan.

New Saddledome. Some where closer to Downtown, like say:

Designed like the new Consol Energy Center. Seating in the 18-24,000 range. Concerts in the 15-22,000 range. New name, I always loved Canadi>n Airlines Saddledome. Smaller venue built beside to hold between 6-10,000 people for concerts, comedy tours, smaller bands, etc. Sort of like the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles, only a little bigger I suppose. Maybe RIM Center, or BlackBerry Theatre or something like that.

Repave every single road in Calgary, no pot holes.

Buy out the Tsu Tina Reserve. Ring road. Plus Race Track development. Something like Laguna Seca or the like. Could host Indy or F1 events. Driving school, track days, etc.

Thats just my beginning plans...oh to dream

Edit - Purchase all rights to Canadi>n Airlines. Purchase all rights to WestJet. Create new Airline that will rival Singapore/Emirates/Korean/Lufthansa. All Boeing fleet, including 787, 748i, 737 replacment. Influence Boeing to dive in the 80-100 seat market. Purchase all remaing DC10/MD11/707 Air craft, refurbish and put into service. Introduce modern version of the Proud Wings livery.

Create a brand new Science Center.

New confrence facilities.

Purchase RIM and move entire company to Calgary. Brand new sky scraper for RIM.

Purchase Big Rock Brewery. Enjoy said beer.

Last edited by wmp.dll; Aug 7, 2009 at 11:40 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 12:25 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmp.dll View Post

Buy out the Tsu Tina Reserve. Ring road. Plus Race Track development. Something like Laguna Seca or the like. Could host Indy or F1 events. Driving school, track days, etc.
of all your plans, this is the one that I think would be most appealing. though, I have thought of a few areas where a temporary street circuit (ala Monaco, Singapore, and Valencia) could be set up:

Stampede Grounds:

Downtown:

University:

of course, I apologize for the crude designs, but you get the point...

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy