HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ maybe he was talking in the context of apartments being called "suites", not hotels...
I guess Torontonians need to expand their vocabulary. Although, there are quite a number of apartment rental websites that use the term "suite" to describe the apartment type (ie: 1 br, bachelor, etc.). Guess there must be some major confusion happening in TO.

Funny how a topic about 100 Main got diverted to Toronto . I contributed, so I'm just as bad!

Last edited by RAFS; Jun 26, 2007 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 2:56 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
I guess Torontonians need to expand their vocabulary. Although, there are quite a number of apartment rental websites that use the term "suite" to describe the apartment type (ie: 1 br, bachelor, etc.). Guess there must be some major confusion happening in TO.

Funny how a topic about 100 Main got diverted to Toronto . I'm contributed, so I'm just as bad!
Is that an improvement on every Winnipeg thread gets turned into a debate about BRT vs rail?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 5:00 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post

Funny how a topic about 100 Main got diverted to Toronto . I contributed, so I'm just as bad!
I'm thinking more about people using the term to describe their own (or some other specific) already leased and occupied apartment. No one here would ask you "what is your suite like?" while in Winnipeg my older relatives always talked about people living in "suites" rather than "apartments". My grandmother would always inquire about my "suite" in Toronto while everyone here would always say "apartment". In Toronto, "suites" are sometimes mentioned in advertisements but the word is generally modified by an adjective like "2 bedroom" or whatever -- the word "suite" standing on its own isn't really used as it is in Winnipeg. Same with "block" as in "apartment block" or some old office buildings -- that isn't common here either.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 6:49 PM
Closed account

Getting back to the topic of the thread, some kind of protest/demonstration was happening at the historic gate site over lunch. Couldn't see what exactly, but people had signs and were standing in the Main Street median and on the gate site waving them at cars.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 9:31 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
Getting back to the topic of the thread, some kind of protest/demonstration was happening at the historic gate site over lunch. Couldn't see what exactly, but people had signs and were standing in the Main Street median and on the gate site waving them at cars.
i should find out when their next protest is and go talk to them take the laptop with renderings and see what exactly they are pissed off about....

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 10:14 PM

so you guys actually have something being built there? sweet.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 12:53 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
so you guys actually have something being built there? sweet.
yep

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 3:08 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wp posted this on the ssc winnipeg construction thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegPatriot View Post
Got an email back from the city concerning 100 Main...so tired of how slow things move here....

Thank you for your inquiry in regards to the 100 Main Street Expression of Interest project. Your email inquiry was forwarded to my office for a response. My apologies on the length of time for our response, as I just received your email today.

On May 24th, 2007, the City of Winnipeg Standing Policy Committee on Downtown Development approved the sale of a portion of the 100 Main Street site to Crystal Developers. This portion of the site is known as Parcel "A", and includes the lands in the southwest corner of the site that are entirely outside of the footprint of the Upper Fort Garry. The Committee also directed the Public Service to enter into negotiations with the Friends of Upper Fort Garry for the sale or transfer of the lands known as Parcel "B", the portion of the 100 Main Street site which contains the walls and archaeological remains of Upper Fort Garry.

At this time, the Public Service has entered into discussions with the Friends of Upper Fort Garry in regards to the sale or transfer of Parcel "B". In addition, the Public Service is continuing to work with Crystal Developers on completing the sale of Parcel "A".

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 11:41 PM

This thread has been dead for a while now, and I've wanted to ask what exactally is going on now?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
i should find out when their next protest is and go talk to them take the laptop with renderings and see what exactly they are pissed off about....
They're pissed off about not having lives.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 1:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
This thread has been dead for a while now, and I've wanted to ask what exactally is going on now?
the city has split the thing up into lot A and B. A being the parking lot and 100 main building?, B is the gate park they are trying to make both sides happy by the looks of things..

other than the blip i herd on the radio a while back thats all i know...

cvist care to add to this??

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 1:41 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I think we can file this one under 'greatest disappointment to happen to Winnipeg this century".

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 1:46 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I have a friend who lives in Fort Garry place who is livid that the 30 story building for the site was quashed.

He made some great points about how the old Fort is filled with bums afterhours, and how there's a number of 25+ story buildings already at the edge of downtown (i.e. Fort Garry Place, 55 Nassau, Evergreen Towers, etc).

Why would a new tower at that location look so out of place?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 11:21 PM
Capitalist

They should force the idiots who fought against any development to take up the responsibility to rally around this new "park".

I don't want to see them abandon it.. and have it overrun by bums and druggies. They inisted it not be developed.. and the city was dumb enough to listen... another example of progess missed downtown.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 1:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
They should force the idiots who fought against any development to take up the responsibility to rally around this new "park".

I don't want to see them abandon it.. and have it overrun by bums and druggies. They inisted it not be developed.. and the city was dumb enough to listen... another example of progess missed downtown.
newflyer... split the lot up A and B one is the gate park 120 main st

the other is the land for the apartment building........

if anything i would love to have the density around the gate get higher... and that stupid bilbord taken out and the park cleaned up a bit... the trees are what make this little hiden gem a hiden gem

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 1:56 AM
I am a typical

There is a billboard in the park??

Lord.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 2:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
There is a billboard in the park??

Lord.
yea of the old house that used to be there

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 4:29 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Listen, what everyone forgets is that the old facade of the fort would still be preserved.

We'd just have a new tallest on the surface lot that is its neighbour. I see nothing wrong with another skyscraper contributing to the downtown property tax base. In fact private investment kick starting a new tallest might be the very thing Winnipeg needs to get its confidence back in the downtown.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 4:52 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Listen, what everyone forgets is that the old facade of the fort would still be preserved.

We'd just have a new tallest on the surface lot that is its neighbour. I see nothing wrong with another skyscraper contributing to the downtown property tax base. In fact private investment kick starting a new tallest might be the very thing Winnipeg needs to get its confidence back in the downtown.

aww were are we going to get a crane to build a new tallest

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 5:08 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
aww were are we going to get a crane to build a new tallest
Dammit 1ajs, before you and me both die I want to see a new tallest built. Preferably by the private sector.

P.S. I drove down Hallet today, I like your street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan