HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 4:41 AM

^ LOL

amazing picture btw...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 7:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
My Flickr has been seeing a decline in views since I started uploading my Winnipeg photos so if you guys could alleviate that please and thank you.
Great photo thread, looks like 1ajs has some serious competition!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
My Flickr has been seeing a decline in views since I started uploading my Winnipeg photos so if you guys could alleviate that please and thank you.
These are friggin awesome

Did you make a thread in the Photos section?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 8:13 PM

Also vid, if you don't mind you should put up one of your photos in the main skyline thread, I liked it a lot since its a shot rarely seen - the Disraeli skyline pic

Its a nice shot. One of those "hard to capture on camera" shots

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 1:02 AM
I am a typical

A photo thread will come soon. I just need the time! I work for a company that bottles water and it's a million degrees out. We're all working 10 hour days.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 3:37 PM

I have probably brought this up in the past, but I was wondering something. Why is it that a city like ours, known for the many tree lined residential neighbourhoods has almost nothing lining our downtown streets? I personally think our downtown would have so much more character from trees alone, I think someone provided a response beforehand, but I can't remember.

I looked up guidelines and restrictions to what can be allowed in regards to planting, and there is nothing limiting the planting of trees downtown. Also they would not destroy our sidewalks and roads, etc. That is a common myth, as the roots of trees grow around already placed infrastructure. If the city were to invest in a) downtown trees, and b) proper lighting for the trees (as one person's concern was that the canopies would cover the lighting) I personally feel our downtown would become a far more eye catching place, especially in the exchange.

One thing that seems weird is the random placement of the trees that we do have downtown. There seems to be no real regard for spacing like our residential streets.

What are the thoughts for those in Regina and Saskatoon? I have been to neither city in years, but is the scenario similar there?

I'll give an example of what I would personally desire, and maybe we could have some input and thoughts on that!

Would something in terms of lighting like this be much more appreciated than funnelators?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 5:15 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Would something in terms of lighting like this be much more appreciated than funnelators?
We already have similar lamps in the Exchange District.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryansc...6890/lightbox/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 6:04 PM

Hotwired, I know your unfathomable desire to shut me up must be overwhelming, but my post was not meant specifically for the Exchange. In fact, though the exchange could use a little sprucing (as any neighbourhood could) it fairs far better than the rest of our downtown in terms of aesthetics as you very well know. My post was more so in regard to the blatantly obvious stagnant areas of South Portage, Portage-Ellice, Central Park, Portage and Main, and the areas that are almost there such as Broadway-Assiniboine.

If as much effort was put into the rest of downtown as it is put into Parliament, our downtown would be one of envious proportions.

It is very much apparent that you for some reason dislike me Hotwired, and I gave you two months chrisallard5454 free. So please instead of coming up with ways to prove me wrong when I have just returned, grace me with the pleasure that I gave you and put home row away for a while. My post was not one that is meant to be proven wrong, just one to be discussed. If you want to discuss than discuss, if not then we need not hear it.

And in response to what you said, I thank God that the funnolaters are not being proposed for the Exchange, however the neighbourhood in which they are proposed for could use some sightly uplifting, like the lights in the picture you provided.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 6:17 PM

I think the topic of lighting in downtown cities is always interesting.

On Winnipeg, I will I think the city certainly could use some sprucing up as far as the lighting goes downtown in general but its something that we've discussed before, coming to the conclusion that there seems to be no "focus" on doing something like that. I think the funnelators are freaking ridiculous (they might turn out nice who knows I'm open to that possibility) and we would be better off with the more aesthetic aspects as you suggest.

Trees + lights is something they have in the many downtown areas in the Bay Area (California) and do well there. Downtown San Jose and downtown Berkeley for instance look exceptional at night because of that combination; though this is upon first sight. When you walk through the street scape it becomes a problem. Problem is they do a "christmas tree" like set up where they take the mini white stringed bulbs and wrap it throughout the trees, which doesn't look very appealing because it takes away from the natural aspect of the tree. So on one hand it can look great, on another hand (I'm a tree guy) it doesn't.

With Regina, I found that in their core especially by Scarth & on Victoria, and I thought 12th ave was slick as well. They have some nice nighttime lights but the rest of the core seems lacking in the same regard as Winnipeg, imo. Though, I think Regina will improve that with time. One thing they have is a ton of construction downtown, which is probably the focus of attention so they don't have the time to focus on a concerted lighting effort, which will come. Like there is a ton of construction there (so much fencing all over the place).

In Saskatoon, on the other hand, I find they have excellent lighting in their downtown area. I don't know what it is but I never thought "man they could clean or polish the aesthetic quality up" rather I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know if it is because of the bridges being well lit or the river walk or what, but it was great.

That said, I might be completely off the mark on what you're referring to. Keep in mind this is my subjective opinion.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 6:25 PM
What could go wrong?

I think they seem to have issues keeping trees alive on the major thoroughfares downtown.
Any trees planted on Main and Portage never seem to last long. I believe it is the spray from all the salt used on the street in the winter time......I'm not 100% on this though. I have a feeling they try but aren't having much success.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I think the topic of lighting in downtown cities is always interesting.

On Winnipeg, I will I think the city certainly could use some sprucing up as far as the lighting goes downtown in general but its something that we've discussed before, coming to the conclusion that there seems to be no "focus" on doing something like that. I think the funnelators are freaking ridiculous (they might turn out nice who knows I'm open to that possibility) and we would be better off with the more aesthetic aspects as you suggest.

Trees + lights is something they have in the many downtown areas in the Bay Area (California) and do well there. Downtown San Jose and downtown Berkeley for instance look exceptional at night because of that combination; though this is upon first sight. When you walk through the street scape it becomes a problem. Problem is they do a "christmas tree" like set up where they take the mini white stringed bulbs and wrap it throughout the trees, which doesn't look very appealing because it takes away from the natural aspect of the tree. So on one hand it can look great, on another hand (I'm a tree guy) it doesn't.

With Regina, I found that in their core especially by Scarth & on Victoria, and I thought 12th ave was slick as well. They have some nice nighttime lights but the rest of the core seems lacking in the same regard as Winnipeg, imo. Though, I think Regina will improve that with time. One thing they have is a ton of construction downtown, which is probably the focus of attention so they don't have the time to focus on a concerted lighting effort, which will come. Like there is a ton of construction there (so much fencing all over the place).

In Saskatoon, on the other hand, I find they have excellent lighting in their downtown area. I don't know what it is but I never thought "man they could clean or polish the aesthetic quality up" rather I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know if it is because of the bridges being well lit or the river walk or what, but it was great.

That said, I might be completely off the mark on what you're referring to. Keep in mind this is my subjective opinion.
No, you hit what I was saying right on the money. Who exactly is responsible for such things? I would assume city council to a degree, but it must be far more complex then that. I would like to think our city planners are constantly looking into the idea of making our downtown a better place.

Having said what I said earlier, I decided to go downtown in person and check out the areas I was referring to. When I arrived at the exchange, though there was a fair amount of trees and the lighting was good, I still felt as if something was missing. In my head I came to the conclusion that it might be a lack of passion.

The trees were there, and so were the lights, but for some reason they just seem to be plopped there with no real regard to the feel of the area. My therapist has let me in on a secret, that being; I over analyze things. The merits to this are, however, that I can realize the full potential to any situation.

I may be wrong here, but the biggest problem with this city is that the focus is on trying to turn it into a tourist destination. This would be fine in and of itself. However the problem is rather than slowly build the city naturally, fixing our problems overtime and adding to our positive features, we seem to do one of two things; Jump on something the moment it appears in front of us. Thus saying yes to the first opportunity that comes our way, be it the right one or not. And trying to utilize a city version of what would be a get rich quick scheme. With the latter, the Funnolators and the Water Park would be perfect examples.

There seems to be this huge inclination to jump into the big leagues by building something huge and exciting and new, rather than letting the city mould itself into what it could be. If the city utilized what we already have we could easily form ourselves into a formidable tourist attraction (seeing as that is what the city wants).

For example, though I don't normally agree with the WFP pollers, there was a large outcry regarding the deal being made with the future space on St. James (Canad-Inns Stadium Site). And it seems once again the city wants to just throw what it can quickly on there to make a quick dollar. There is no inspiration with this plan. No foresight. No investment emotionally, or even fiscally. And the largest problem lies with the major opportunity to upgrade its infrastructure in the area, yet that doesn't even seem to be on the city's agenda.

Sorry about the rant. With every passing day I become more and more depressed at the lost potential in this city, and I simultaneously feel an emotional pull towards what could happen. I wish I could do something to change the city for the better, I just haven't figured out how to best utilize my passion.

When walking down the street, if I see a pot hole or something displeasing, I picture myself just fixing the problem right then and there. Every little thing in this city means something to me. I don't know why, and it may be weird, but it does. If there is something that could be better, I wish I could just grab a shovel and get to work on it until it is all that it could be, I wouldn't even care if I was payed.

The worst part is when I see certain things that are fixed, but are done in a half-assed fashion. The latest pet peeve I came across is the River Trail on the North Side of the Assiniboine from Main to Balmoral. The trail is great, they did a wonderful job, and should do more like it. But one spot where the trail ends on Granite Hill there is no place for the cyclists to go. So people would just go over the curb onto the road. This leaves the grass torn up and muddy, and over time left the curb broken down and worn out. I always pictured myself just fixing it, and making it look better. Then one day I guess the city got around to it. The only problem is that they just sporadically threw asphalt onto the site. No effort was made to see that it looked good. It was just thrown on there. It is that kind of lack of passion that really perturbs me.

Even if I was to (dare I dream) run for mayor - which I know is silly considering my immaturity, and lack of education - I would have the problem of city councillors to deal with.

If I was to become a developer - which would take decades to become successful enough to make an impact - I would have to deal with the city's bi-laws and ancient policies.

I really don't know what could be done to make a change... So much potential lost.... End drama queen.

Last edited by chrisallard5454; Jul 16, 2012 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 10:39 PM
I am a typical

Haven't read the whole thing since there is a lot but basically, the salt and exhaust from the roads is really hard on the trees in the first few years of their life, and causes stress for the rest of it. You need to have a decent buffer zone for them to survive, and that means converting a lane of traffic to street parking. It also can involve planting hardier species of tree, which are often not as aesthetically pleasing. Thunder Bay just started adding water bags and hired a city forester to help maintain young trees so that they're more likely to survive.

But once they're mature they do OK. Trees in areas with a lot of pollution will have stunted growth, bald spots, or start growing away from the source of pollution but for the most part they don't get too affected. Trees in front of buildings will grow out over the street to catch the sun. The tree in front of my apartment does this and in about 20 years it will probably tip over because it is too uneven.

Another issue on my street, which is line with 25 year old Discovery Elm, is that without proper pruning, the branches can get caught on large vehicles. Our buses are constantly getting smacked by them and sometimes pull branches off. When transports turn off of side streets, they sometimes grab the tree and on a few occasions have ripped very large branches right off. That adds a maintenance cost that Winnipeg council might not want to take on. Thunder Bay council simply doesn't seem to care that our trees are going crazy and attacking buses and trucks like this.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Hotwired, I know your unfathomable desire to shut me up must be overwhelming
I think you are way too quick to suggest that people are out to get you. You did the same to me a month ago and I had no idea where it came from.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
I think you are way too quick to suggest that people are out to get you. You did the same to me a month ago and I had no idea where it came from.
Good call Rypinion. That is actually something I am really trying to work with my therapist in remedying. Obviously like everything there is a cause for it, unfortunately the effects are felt everywhere. It will take time, but I do believe I will get better. All I ask for is just a little patience from everyone while I will try to holster the defensive back lashes. Sorry to anyone who has felt the sting of my sometimes harsh words.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 3:39 PM

a simple thing that i would love to see around downtown would be some signage indicating walking distances to certain places such as market square, the forks, and exchange district in general to be plastered around downtown to help bring some foot traffic to the area.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/nei...-raleigh/1139/

see the first two pics thats what i would want, but permanent signs that are more aesthetically pleasing.

off topic: if you get a chance read the article, i have been reading a lot about tactical urbanism movements around the world and would love to see a movement spring up in winnipeg

"I feel like I've been living in a city with no children in it, a garden left for ruin by a millionaire inside of a private prison"

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 4:41 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

downtown used to be tree line they all got cut down and no one asked for them to be replaced as they were removed

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 11:11 PM

Crap, was just watching the news and they say we have doubled our supply of tornado's this year.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 11:25 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw6969 View Post
Crap, was just watching the news and they say we have doubled our supply of tornado's this year.
Doubled our supply? At least we won't run out then!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 11:25 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 11:54 AM

City has spec'd on the Fort St. renewal a product called Silva Cell to help the trees stay healthy. Its a modular frame that gets installed to support the sidewalk above and get filled with loose planting medium. This gives the tree roots good loose soil to grow in and also acts as a water retention area as most concrete base is tightly packed.

Winnipeg has two other Silva Cell installations one on South side Broadway around Carlton and another on King st.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan