HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 9:40 PM

One of the stories said that they had to compete for the space for the first time - if it was a competitive process then I don’t see an issue, and it shows that space at the Forks is in much higher demand.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 4:48 AM

I was looking forward to trying their hot dog flights tonight and found out they've already pulled that from the menu! All the publicity backfired. Logistically it was taking too long and slowing things up when people ordered flights. Hopefully, they can figure a way to make it work.

I enjoyed my Chicago Dog, glad there's a local place now that serves them. I would try to make my own and I usually got one when I was in the States. Plus, it will be great when they do other regional dogs as their monthly special. A Seattle Dog would be nice because I don't think I'll be back there for a while.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 4:35 PM

Are you saying the flights have been grounded?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 5:42 PM

Don't go to Carbones pizza. That place fucking sucks.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laramie45 View Post
I was looking forward to trying their hot dog flights tonight and found out they've already pulled that from the menu! All the publicity backfired. Logistically it was taking too long and slowing things up when people ordered flights. Hopefully, they can figure a way to make it work.

I enjoyed my Chicago Dog, glad there's a local place now that serves them. I would try to make my own and I usually got one when I was in the States. Plus, it will be great when they do other regional dogs as their monthly special. A Seattle Dog would be nice because I don't think I'll be back there for a while.
Is the casing snappy like the Skinners dogs? I hate snappy casing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Are you saying the flights have been grounded?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Don't go to Carbones pizza. That place fucking sucks.
I went like 5 yrs ago to downtown and it was good. But I’ve heard from numerous people their quick cool places are just brutal.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 4:28 PM

Sorry if its been mentioned on here before and I missed it. Boon Burger on Sherbrook is closed. They announced that they were closing on Instagram back in December. They cited higher food costs, demand of delivery services and increased costs of running a small business as some of the challenges they faced. They also cited more vegan options in the city which they said is great but has also been tough on them. Sad to see them go, that kind of place should be thriving in a neighbourhood like Wolseley and West Broadway.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 4:12 PM

Garden House has opened in the Portage Avenue@Broadway space formerly occupied by Paradise Restaurant. I haven't tried it yet. It is advertised as an East Indian restaurant with lunch and dinner buffets.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 5:38 PM

Bagelsmith is opening on Carlton St next to the Subway. Looks like they do Montreal style bagels, they look great. I'm excited, I've been waiting for a Montreal style bagel spot to open here.

There Instagram is: bagelsmith_wpg

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Sorry if its been mentioned on here before and I missed it. Boon Burger on Sherbrook is closed. They announced that they were closing on Instagram back in December. They cited higher food costs, demand of delivery services and increased costs of running a small business as some of the challenges they faced. They also cited more vegan options in the city which they said is great but has also been tough on them. Sad to see them go, that kind of place should be thriving in a neighbourhood like Wolseley and West Broadway.
Hopefully no one blames the bike lane for this!

I agree, sad to see this go. Seems like the perfect location. I wonder what will go in this space? Seems like a thriving street for restaurants and cafes.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 3:02 AM

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie5 View Post
Stop following me.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Osteria del Piolo in Charleswood closed already. Owner and chef were not getting along and so the owner decided to shut it down.

Also Carbone downtown was locked out and had the lease terminated this week. I had heard for over a year now the company was in jeopardy... apparently paying the lease on 5 Fast Fired locations before construction started wasn't a good idea.
Ran out of money I guess? I don't understand how these building owners let them get away for so long without paying rent?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie88 View Post
Ran out of money I guess? I don't understand how these building owners let them get away for so long without paying rent?
When it comes to the Fast Fireds that never opened... they were paying rent, that was the problem.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Bagelsmith is opening on Carlton St next to the Subway. Looks like they do Montreal style bagels, they look great. I'm excited, I've been waiting for a Montreal style bagel spot to open here.

Looks great but man is that a tough location. Should have either gone on Broadway or around Graham.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Looks great but man is that a tough location. Should have either gone on Broadway or around Graham.
You think so? It seems alright to me, lots of people nearby. They just need to remind people that they're there, and they seem to have a pretty strong social media game to help out in that regard.

But how long before people start complaining that their bagels aren't as good as whatever they had in Montreal?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

But how long before people start complaining that their bagels aren't as good as whatever they had in Montreal?
I was thinking this too haha. Wont knock it till i try it though .

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:30 PM

Quote:

Sheesh, it's taken way to long for a bagel shop to come here!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Should be okay, Lakeview Square has a lot of people in it...the convention centre is right across the street, and the Delta is right around the corner.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 2:25 PM
BANNED

Did Shwarma Khan this week, not a lot of for what you pay, overpriced, food okay, no better than any other donair place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan