HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 5:02 PM

Dubai gets most of it's money for development from foreign investment, not oil.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 8:26 PM
Information Age

I am no longer suprised about whatever dubai is doing next.
Because "everything" is possible in Dubai, like a fantasy world.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 10:35 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
I've lost track of how many times that argument has been proven wrong.
But the money comes indirectly from oil. They're making huge profits off of their ports that handle oil. It's very well possible Dubai could dry up if oil does.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
New York and Los Angeles will be under water.
Do you remember in elementary school when you melted ice cubes in a cup of water? The water level didn't rise.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 1:33 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^^^ Too bad most of the ice that will melt isn't actually in the ocean, it's on land: Greenland and Antarctica.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 2:21 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunavuter View Post
Dubai...stand back and gasp

Gasp at what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Wow! All that undersea dredging must be catastrophic to the natural environment.

That's what i thought.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
Do you remember in elementary school when you melted ice cubes in a cup of water? The water level didn't rise.
Silly boy, visible ice shelves are above water.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 5:53 AM
Desert Dweller

Well, heres another question.

Where do all these people come from? Take, Dubai Land, ITS AWSOME. But where are the people going to come from? Surely American Families wouldnt want to go to the country in the Middle east, at least right now. Isnt homosexuality like illiegal there? Death Penalty?

Who will live in Burj Dubai? Is everyone rich in the UAE?
no seriously.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
This is probably the dumbest post I have ever read on here, wow!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 9:23 AM
nuttin

The islands has forced many species of marine life out of their natural environment , many will become extinct

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Wrong. By the time those Islands are washed away, Water in New York City and LA would only be like a foot deep, Cities like NYC are raised above water, they dont build an entire city the same height as the water.

Um. Wrong, Again. Diggin land for a single skyscraper or a planned neighborhood is much more enviromentally friendly than dumping dirt into the ocean. The left over dirt would probably be used to cover landfills, and build massive parks over them.

Of couse, Dubai is wasteing millions of gallons of water to keep their plants green, theres another disaster right there.
1. he is talking about the fact that the netherlands, singapore, new york, singapore all have significant amounts of reclaimed land. Over half of the the netherlands is man made. On this scale, dubai isn't really doing much.

about water only being a foot deep. Do you think that would be alright? 1 foot deep is entirely 1 foot too much. Do you realize how much of NYC is underground? the city would have to be abandoned.

Why do some of you think these islands will dissappear? These are being engineered and designed by experts in land reclamation. Reclaimed land is not a new concept. As i mentioned before, large parts of boston, nyc, hong kong, the netherlands, kansai airport, are all reclaimed land, as are large parts of tokyo. I don't think these will just disappear in a few years. Theres a show on discovery that gets repeated every so often all about building these developments, and there are lots of things that have gone into designing these communities.

as for who lives in dubai, it has a amount of expats. people from all over the world are living there, including americans.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 12:15 PM

Yes, tall buildings are impressive, and Dubai has many of them. But c'mon - this is a place run by a guy whose artistic sensibilities are on par with a 12 year old.

I remember thinking it would be cool to have islands in the shape of the Earth ---when I was 9.

And then there was the time when my friend and I wanted to build the tallest building in the world --- really high, you know -- like super tall.

It's disheartening to know that the trend of "adult children" has spread far outside the borders of the USA. I used to think we were the most childish nation on Earth - but now I see one man in Dubai is giving us a run for our money.

Sad.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 12:39 PM
nuttin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubbs View Post
1. he is talking about the fact that the netherlands, singapore, new york, ..............

If you want to equate actual amounts of water displacement, any of these factors outweigh displacement of all the land dumps to reclaim land in history of man

shipwrecks and other sea dumping,
ocean effluent,
volcanic rises on the seabed,
polar melting
and a few others i cant remember

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Cuff View Post
Silly boy, visible ice shelves are above water.

^

Ice shelf:

thick mass of floating ice that is attached to land, formed from and fed by tongues of glaciers extending outward from the land into sheltered waters. Where there are no strong currents, the ice becomes partly grounded on the sea bottom and attaches itself to rocks and islands. The shelf is pushed forward by glacial pressure until its forward growth is terminated…

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocholate View Post
The islands has forced many species of marine life out of their natural environment , many will become extinct
LOL, it 's the OPPOSITE, there are new species appearing and we are affraid tha the cost might not be safe for swimming anymore (being from AUS, you know what I mean)!!!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocholate View Post
If you want to equate actual amounts of water displacement, any of these factors outweigh displacement of all the land dumps to reclaim land in history of man

shipwrecks and other sea dumping,
ocean effluent,
volcanic rises on the seabed,
polar melting
and a few others i cant remember
It's so fun to prove you wrong and this specific post is giving me such a huge pleasure.

Who in the hell was talking about water displacement (rise in level) becouse of reclamation? We were talking about the effect on the enviroment.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Wrong. By the time those Islands are washed away, Water in New York City and LA would only be like a foot deep, Cities like NYC are raised above water, they dont build an entire city the same height as the water..
WRONG!. The Islands are 4 meters (that will be more then 13 ft) above the sea level, more then Dubai city on shore and other places around the World housing hundreds of millions of people.

Quote:
Um. Wrong, Again. Diggin land for a single skyscraper or a planned neighborhood is much more enviromentally friendly than dumping dirt into the ocean. The left over dirt would probably be used to cover landfills, and build massive parks over them..
WRONG AGAIN! Who mentioned anything about building on land? Singapore, Hong Kong, The Netherlands and Japan were mentioned becouse of their MASSIVE land reclamation projects.

Quote:
Of couse, Dubai is wasteing millions of gallons of water to keep their plants green, theres another disaster right there.
Of course you know very well what kind of water Dubai uses to keep the city green. Gasp ... Gasp ... it doesn't uses tap/fresh water AT ALL. It uses processed water from the treatment of the sewages that are not dumped in the sea, lakes and rivers as you do overthere.

Who's laughing now

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Well, heres another question.

Where do all these people come from? Take, Dubai Land, ITS AWSOME. But where are the people going to come from? Surely American Families wouldnt want to go to the country in the Middle east, at least right now. Isnt homosexuality like illiegal there? Death Penalty?

Who will live in Burj Dubai? Is everyone rich in the UAE?
no seriously.
Well, I know some Americans that are considering living there for a while, since its like the new frontier in terms of job opportunities. They are choosing between Dubai and Moscow...I personally would pick Dubai.

Yeah, their policies against gays aren't great, but I think people are just discreet about it.

I don't know if your argument that they're strict on the death penalty is a bad thing? I for one would wish that we'd be more strict in the US...would reduce crime significantly.

It is a personal choice and I'm sure Dubai isn't for everyone, but I would imagine that living in Dubai would be a lot easier than living in a much stricter Arab country, like Saudi Arabia or Iran.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 2:48 PM
nuttin

Altin the result either way will be some species dissapear obviously , yes like happens here ,,
and for my the other comment it does say IF you are .....
thanks ,i had a laugh too

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
^

Ice shelf:

thick mass of floating ice that is attached to land, formed from and fed by tongues of glaciers extending outward from the land into sheltered waters. Where there are no strong currents, the ice becomes partly grounded on the sea bottom and attaches itself to rocks and islands. The shelf is pushed forward by glacial pressure until its forward growth is terminated…
I assume you're attempting to prove a point by using the dunce smiley, though I'm not exactly sure what it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture