HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
https://www.phillymag.com/property/2...ever-building/

Some more details on the Beury Building restoration. Their timeline seems to be a little under two years from now.
I will believe this when I see it. Lots of talk, lots of rendering- no permits pulled to date.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 2:11 PM

I totally agree. I really like the work of Shift capital but I found an article from 2017 that says the building was leasing apartments. I will truly believe this one when I see it. I would love to see it happen as it is an architecturally beautiful building that is high density over a busy subway stop. It needs to happen soon because the building's structurally integrity is continually getting compromised. A few years ago I was inside and the roof has completely collapsed and the top floor looked ready to collapse at any moment. I really hope this building gets renovated. here is the link from 2017 https://www.phillyvoice.com/historic...-north-philly/

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 8:46 PM

I found myself walking through Parkside this weekend. While there, three interesting projects caught my eye:

4200 block of Parkside Avenue:

1700 block of N. Memorial Avenue:

1700 block of N. Marlton Avenue:

In my opinion, Parkside is primed to take off in the coming years. It boasts Fairmount Park as a front lawn, the Zoo and Schuylkill River Trail are both proximal, Brewerytown and the businesses along its Girard Avenue commercial corridor are across the bridge, it has easy access to Center City-bound bus routes and 76, the Mann Music Center is nearby, and so much more. Plus, the 15 runs directly through it, Girard Avenue between 40th and Belmont Avenue could easily become a commerical corridor, and the neighborhoods to the south (Mantua and Belmont) are incrementally improving.

If my girl and I weren't planning on moving in together soon, I'd totally consider living in Parkside at this moment in time! There's a ton of modern inventory at reasonable prices for young professionals.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 8:58 PM

Love seeing new contruction that matches the classic old rows and fills them back in here!
It'll be interesting to see what they do with the finishes.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
Love seeing new contruction that matches the classic old rows and fills them back in here!
It'll be interesting to see what they do with the finishes.
No kidding, impressive! A rehab and matching infill. They did a great job on that bay.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 11:45 PM

Parkside has beautiful housing stock and is in a great location. I like those projects!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 11:59 PM

I think Girard avenue or just a commercial strip is what is holding East Parkside back. Gorgeous homes, world class park access, and decent transit with the 15, 38, and 40. It just currently isn't walkable given the available stores.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 1:53 AM

^^^^^
Any idea if these infill houses are market based? However they are getting done, great. There used to be a Parkside CBO that years ago did work on saving some of those huge brick twins that have exceptional brick work.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 3:46 AM

Wow, truly incredible these homes going up in parkside. A really nice looking original project and then two projects that are so far doing an incredible job fitting in with their beautiful neighbors.

Hard to believe that this type of shit is able to be pulled off here whereas in legitimately bustling areas like the southern parts of kensington where people are paying absurd amounts for new construction, they can't seem to pull of projects of this quality.

I'd be interested to see if the same developer is doing both of those historic rowhome recreations. Whoever is doing them cares about more than the bottom line and it's appreciated.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 5:08 AM

I could be wrong, but I believe there's a Parkside historic district, so there would be aesthetic requirements over any new construction. They usually make a big difference in low-rise quality, for instance I know a couple projects were posted on here in the Spring Garden district that looked really good

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 12:38 PM

Love that modern take on the classic style. Let’s see that look more in Philly!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I think Girard avenue or just a commercial strip is what is holding East Parkside back. Gorgeous homes, world class park access, and decent transit with the 15, 38, and 40. It just currently isn't walkable given the available stores.
The 3900 and 4000 blocks of Girard are full of vacant properties. If they aren't zoned at least CMZ-2.5, they really should be. Those properties represent an opportunity to create a new commercial corridor. A thriving Girard Avenue wouldn't just benefit Parkside, but also Mantua and Belmont to the south.

I think that a craft brewery would be successful in Parkside, especially if it were to have a restaurant inside (for the kids). I'm sure that zoo-goers, runners in Fairmount Park, and residents of the neighborhood alike would enjoy having a nice cold beer by the park!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 1:55 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Traffic is a hot mess during the popular months. Might be a turnoff if people account for that.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 2:15 PM

In case anyone was worried...

The ‘Boner 4Ever’ building’s new developers want to pay tribute to its famous graffiti

Quote:
“We have had ‘Boner Forever’ on every presentation we make. I’m not kidding,” the interior designer on the project said. “It’s so important to the building.”

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 2:19 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
This building probably won't be marketed to families with kids....LOL. Hopefully they are not serious...because it's a dumb idea.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 6:23 PM

Lots of good Lowrises in this month's CDR:
2101 Washington Avenue
1201 Callowhill
4440-42 Ridge Avenue
919 Diamond!!!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
This building probably won't be marketed to families with kids....LOL. Hopefully they are not serious...because it's a dumb idea.
Did you read the article - it's going to be a Marriott - it has to sell/make money. i think the tongue in cheek inspiration for the interior design is fantastic. Let phallic symbols abound...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 6:39 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Oh, I thought it was going part residential apt like a mixed use. article blocked on my PC. Ok. good for marriott...and the developer...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 7:58 PM

Lots of great projects! Build em!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 8:08 PM

Parkside really has the opportunity to be one of the hottest neighborhoods in Philly. The architecture of the still intact buildings fronting the park is impeccable.

Plenty of oppurtunity to create a new commercial corridor on Girard Ave, and a new mixed-use neighborhood between Belmont Ave, Parkside Ave and 50th Street as well. The entire area is an empty lot and abandoned industrial.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development