HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 7:54 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Since there's no Lethbridge thread.... here you go!
Much appreciated Chad (nice to see you here again) but there actually is a thread more suited for Lethbridge - the Alberta Tier II City thread. Small town doesn't really define Lethbridge.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Since there's no Lethbridge thread.... here you go!
Maybe we should change that?

I never realized how beautiful Lethbridge was. I just googled some pics and was quite impressed.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 1:46 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Thread is a bit old but it looked like Chad wanted to provide an update. So here we go.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 12:07 AM
ARTchitecture

Here are some updates from October 2018, and apparently there's been significant progress since. According to their site, the project is 92% complete as of February. It's very cool how much this project will improve the connectivity of the campus.

http://www.destinationproject.ca/news-updates/

I believe the next major new building planned for the campus is the bridge residence building. It'll be similar in form to University Hall, but it'll be more of a bridge and have less of an impact on the coulee. It will provide a direct, indoor link between the student residence village and the sports fields to the school buildings.

Here is the University of Lethbridge Campus Masterplan : http://www.uleth.ca/sites/default/fi...lan-2012_0.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Maybe we should change that?

I never realized how beautiful Lethbridge was. I just googled some pics and was quite impressed.
Lethbridge really is a dope little city. I've only been there a couple times myself unfortunately, but it reminds me of one of the smaller Eastern cities sorta like maybe Stratford in the way its downtown is organized, but with a more beautiful setting given how immensely prominent the river valley of Lethbridge is. It's also the smallest city in Western Canada with a regular gay bar, likely owing to its large student population.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 4:00 AM

Quote:
It's also the smallest city in Western Canada with a regular gay bar, likely owing to its large student population.
That must have emerged in recent years. When I was going to uni there in the 90s, being gay was still taboo and my friends didn’t even know I was gay. What is the location of the bar: west side?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 4:40 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
That must have emerged in recent years. When I was going to uni there in the 90s, being gay was still taboo and my friends didn’t even know I was gay. What is the location of the bar: west side?
I mean, the 90s were almost 20 years ago now, so that's not exactly recent, but Club Didi is the main one. It's an entire gay community centre in a way, they do theatre and shows, events, as well as being a club. There's also a few gay restaurants/pubs. All of them are located downtown around Galt Gardens. As far as I have seen, they have a better gay scene than Victoria.

Sorry to hear you went through that though, the 90s and earlier seem like they were like that for pretty much everyone, especially in that age range (college-age). Growing up openly gay in Woodstock Ontario coming out in 2005 (age 14) I was threatened and beaten regularly for it, so I get that fear you must have felt. It was just sorta like that everywhere. Of course things would have changed since then though, we've had nationwide marriage equality for 14 years now, and even with Alberta having the lowest support among provinces, popular support for marriage equality is still around 75%. Lethbridge is really socially liberal by any measure, let alone just the prairies

Lethbridge even does the Rainbow Crosswalk thing every summer now, and their Pride Festival is celebrating its 12th year this year.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 5:27 PM

Haven’t heard much lately about the impending final construction and opening of the new Science Building. Does anyone have any information on when it will be open (and will there be a public open house tour before it opens for students and faculty)?

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 6:34 PM
Master and Commander

It will open in time for the fall 2019 intake. A public open house should occur somewhere in the summer time as the months leading up to it, the project is undergoing various testing and calibration of the specialized equipments and programming within as well as a lot of deficiencies to fix up.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 7:37 PM

As an alumnus, I hope to get down there and check it out before normally restricted areas become off limits to the general public.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia