HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 8:18 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

San Antonio Airport Sets Another Passenger Record

Quote:
More than 933,000 travelers passed through the San Antonio airport in July, officials announced Monday — a 9.9 percent increase from the roughly 849,000 passengers that landed in or boarded planes at the airfield in July 2017.

Airport officials attributed the increase to new carriers and routes from American, Southwest and Frontier airlines. San Antonio International Airport has added 33 flights since 2016, according to a monthly passenger statistics report.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 9:52 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Great news! Inching closer to our first 1 million passenger month on record. We will definitely surpass that milestone next year.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Aug 29, 2018 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:55 PM

Things seem quite over the last few days. Saw this and thought it was really interesting.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...ltihangar.html

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 10:58 AM

Does anyone have an idea about delayed/cancelled Frontier flights?

Last edited by Tyrone Shoes; Sep 1, 2018 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
August delivered more record-breaking growth for San Antonio International Airport with 881,896 passengers flying into or out of the city’s two terminals last month.

That figure is a nearly 17 percent increase over the August 2017 total, with the overall passenger count up by more than 125,000 ticket holders.........

“With the new flights and capacity already in place for the remainder of the year, there is the strong potential to exceed 10 million passengers for the first time ever, which is incredible growth considering we just exceeded 9 million last year,” said Brian Pratte, chief air services development officer for the city of San Antonio.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...siness-in.html

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Whoa...17% increase over August of 2017?! Yea 10 million will definitely be surpassed this year... I believe that would officially put SA in the 'Large' airport category. Talk about an under-served market!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:23 PM

Very nice but yet no overseas flights. Caught a flight last week and the concourse area was so crowded. Time for a new airport.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Very nice but yet no overseas flights. Caught a flight last week and the concourse area was so crowded. Time for a new airport.
Obviously I don't have the numbers on hand, but I wonder if one of these low cost carriers that operate 752's could make a route work.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 9:43 PM

It's Time...

These numbers prove it's time for additional gates, maybe find a way to get a United/American/Delta to focus here instead of elsewhere. It's time for at least one non-stop flight to London, Frankfort or somewhere else in Europe. We're a big enough city and it'll prove itself. What do we have to do??? Who do we have to pay off?????I don't want to drive to another city to fly to London...It's time

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
These numbers prove it's time for additional gates, maybe find a way to get a United/American/Delta to focus here instead of elsewhere. It's time for at least one non-stop flight to London, Frankfort or somewhere else in Europe. We're a big enough city and it'll prove itself. What do we have to do??? Who do we have to pay off?????I don't want to drive to another city to fly to London...It's time
I'm sensing sarcasm? lol

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
I'm sensing sarcasm? lol
No I'm frustrated

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 1:03 PM
JACKinBeantown

The airlines' hub system is designed similarly to any delivery transportation. I worked at UPS in college. They have a hub system. Just track any package and you'll see it in action. Mail goes from small town to the nearest city, then on a different truck to the nearest hub, then across the country to a hub, then on a different truck to the nearest city, then on a delivery truck locally. Airlines do the same with passengers to a lesser extent. San Antonio is not a hub and it is in relatively close proximity to DFW and IAH, which are hubs. So there won't be many direct flights from SA to Europe in the near future. Sorry.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 7:18 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Y’all had y’alls fun, but that went on for far too long. Back to the topic at hand.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 1:16 PM

Post on topic - still gets deleted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Y’all had y’alls fun, but that went on for far too long. Back to the topic at hand.
I don't post much, but when I do it gets deleted? i sound like the Dos XX guy. well, i feel its fitting to re-post a couple of the replies I had that I think are definitely on topic when it comes to transportation and specifically the airport. at least to the comments from others that weren't already cut from this thread. so, i hope this post gets to stay this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
- SAT Strategic Development Plan will soon answer questions regarding airport land use and growth requirements later this year; there was a survey open to provide input as well … So whether they decide if a new airport is needed or not. That still means two things. 1. They will have to expand the current airport while a new one is built to meet demand. 2. The airport has a lot of land to add multiple terminals. Hangers, expand runways etc. They will surpass 10M for the first time. Meaning 1M more passengers than last year. A $25M corporate hanger will be built at SAT with construction starting soon. There is a lot of activity and demand for private/business flights too. Not to mention cargo growth in and out of the airport pass more than doubled last year and averages more than many larger airports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
The airlines' hub system is designed similarly to any delivery transportation. I worked at UPS in college. They have a hub system. Just track any package and you'll see it in action. Mail goes from small town to the nearest city, then on a different truck to the nearest hub, then across the country to a hub, then on a different truck to the nearest city, then on a delivery truck locally. Airlines do the same with passengers to a lesser extent. San Antonio is not a hub and it is in relatively close proximity to DFW and IAH, which are hubs. So there won't be many direct flights from SA to Europe in the near future. Sorry.
- San Antonio and Austin have to contend with Houston and DFW as hubs for United/American/Southwest. Yes, this is true. One recent development that is a positive for SAT was the code sharing announcement by Frontier and Volaris at SAT which will mean more passenger connections to and from Mexico through SAT. Which is a first for two low cost carriers to have code sharing agreements. So more passengers connecting through SAT could lead to additional flights. SAT is working aggressively to continue to add (international and domestic) non-stops and increased service to multiple destinations. Don’t be surprised to see SAT announce non-stops to a couple of Trans-Atlantic destinations – maybe Madrid or London for example. If the numbers are there airlines will absolutely add a route even if one exists from Austin. In addition to destinations in Central and South America. The business demand is there and growing. They are also working hard to get non-stops to Boston and Washington Reagan among other domestic service areas. Which again, don’t be surprised to see announcements for those also in the near future. Frontier also added 11 additional non-stops from SAT last month.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:27 PM

Airport adding another nonstop to JFK

American Airlines is adding a nonstop to JFK in February
https://www.expressnews.com/business...o-13275321.php

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:54 PM

Not directed at you SAinthe21stC, but there are a few on here that like to bait others by bashing SA, or just talk irrelevant nonsense for who knows why. Personally, I'm glad it gets deleted!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAinthe21stC View Post
That's a good add. If timed properly should offer great connections to Europe. One I've been waiting for, as I tend to fly One World carriers more often than the rest. Nice to see American Strengthen their SAT presence with this route and adding mainline service to LAX.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAinthe21stC View Post
Excellent news. Didn't see it in the article, but the route will be operated on a 737-800, so apparently this isn't a "lets throw our smallest plane on this and see what happens" route... they see demand. I believe this is the first (of hopefully many) 2019 new air service announcements at SAT.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:49 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Time for a new airport.
Not going to happen anytime soon. However, when is the new masterplan for the current site set to be approved & released?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:27 PM

We blew that a few years back...

Quote:
We blew that a few years back when the Air Force closed Kelly. Long runway to get to London, Frankfort or Asia from here. Plenty of space for a large terminal and lots of parking. What gets me laughing is a few months ago someone suggested we re-visit a regional airport in the New Braunfels area for both the Hill Country and South Texas. There is no way in Hades that they would close a perfectly good airport and move 80 miles south when we are willing to drive up there and use theirs. AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio