HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 6:00 PM

Building Specifications- Winnipeg

Has anyone been able to find an on-line source that would be able to give particulars and specifications for commercial buildings and apartments?

In particular, what I was looking for was a source that would give me a general history of a building; I.E. Date built, contractor, architect, lot size, building footprint size, area of floors, floor loading capacities, ceiling heights, mechanical apparatus installed, construction techniques used, etc.

When I was in the Appraisal business I used to have 'A Typical" manual of Commercial buildings, but that has long since fallen through my hands. I'm sure some people have some source of technical reference because we see people come out with some of the most interesting information including architectural drawings of the buildings in and around Winnipeg.

Perhaps, some individuals on here could assist in starting a reference manual that would be available to fellow Skyscraper Forum enthusiasts that require such information. Or, would direct an individual to their source of reference. Thanks for your assistance.

Something along this idea but more elaborate. http://winnipeg.ca/ppd/historic/pdf-...4-overview.pdf Or, like this: http://winnipeg.ca/ppd/historic/hist...ventorye-h.stm

Last edited by alittle1; Mar 17, 2014 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 6:24 PM

Has anyone ever wondered about the history of this building at 243/245 Main Street, known as Breen Motors but now known as the National Film Board?

Check it out. http://winnipeg.ca/ppd/historic/pdf-...5-overview.pdf

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
In particular, what I was looking for was a source that would give me a general history of a building; I.E. Date built, contractor, architect, lot size, building footprint size, area of floors, floor loading capacities, ceiling heights, mechanical apparatus installed, construction techniques used, etc.
Sounds like you're plotting a Prison Break-esque heist of some sort

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 8:42 PM

Would something like that be a subscription based service as there must be a cost to compile and update information like that?

On further reflection I think that commercial insurance underwritters must have somehting like that so they can quote coverage. I remember seeing map books years ago with building information and where hydrants were, and what size water mains were in the streets.

Last edited by cllew; Mar 17, 2014 at 8:51 PM. Reason: add second paragraph

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Would something like that be a subscription based service as there must be a cost to compile and update information like that?

On further reflection I think that commercial insurance underwritters must have somehting like that so they can quote coverage. I remember seeing map books years ago with building information and where hydrants were, and what size water mains were in the streets.
Cllew,

Your on the right track, but wouldn't it be nice to have local information that you could access that would tell you how much it would cost to build a strip mall property that featured: X amount of sq.feet based on an average 2000 sq.ft. unit with a 12 foot standing wall, stone facing, block construction, concrete floor with a 300 pound per sq. ft. floor loading capacity, steel roof, R 24 sidewall and R40 roof insulation, etc. based on a similar construction project that was erected two years ago in your local area.

The City has most of this information but unlikely to share with individuals. The reason being is they use it for their own purposes like tax assessment. Costing manuals are available ( http://www.contractor-city.com/natbuilcosma.html ) but tend to be on a national basis rather than local. I was looking for information that members of this forum could pool together so as to give the members a better insight on some of the projects that you see around town. It sure would increase awareness the next time you saw a billboard sign going up advertising a new high rise complex. Wouldn't you like to be able to break down the costing of the complex to a cost per unit or even a cost per square foot basis. Or, wonder why the ABC Construction Company can build a similar type of building for $24.75 a sq. ft less than the XYZ Co. ? Knowledge is a valuable asset, that knowledge comes from many facets of life and people.

We have all heard that this is a building web site, this proposal is a part of the learning process. Are you game?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 4:06 AM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 1:57 PM

Excellent, now my daydreams of winning the lottery and dotting the downtown with low rise apartments and condos can actually be made more realistic.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan