HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 10:47 PM

There were snow plow trucks similar to the governments with the Regina Bypass logos on it removing snow along the shoulders of highway #1 on Monday as of 7am, I noticed on my drive into the city.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike328 View Post
Yes I realize that. Even coming straight across and a semi following the bend looks sharp and they will either over run their lane or hit the curb. I suspect it could just be the angle of the shot and hard to judge width of the lane.
How many semis are really going to use this overpass? Isn't it mainly for commuter traffic to and from Pilot Butte?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
How many semis are really going to use this overpass? Isn't it mainly for commuter traffic to and from Pilot Butte?
It's Saskatchewan there are semis everywhere. In fact there's a Mack truck dealership on the Southside of the highway. There's also several gravel pits especially on the Northside. There's a fair bit of Industry around Pilot Butte and also the Richardson Pioneer terminal south of the highway. a lot of farmers have semis these days

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
It's Saskatchewan there are semis everywhere. In fact there's a Mack truck dealership on the Southside of the highway. There's also several gravel pits especially on the Northside. There's a fair bit of Industry around Pilot Butte and also the Richardson Pioneer terminal south of the highway. a lot of farmers have semis these days
Yes I know, but like the round a bouts at Balgonie everyone will get used to it. How many stories have there been lately of issues at Balgonie (except for the closed turn off)? After the initial angst I haven't heard a thing since.

People will get used to the Pilot Butte interchange as well.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike328 View Post
Yup, I was there at 4:00 turning from University Park Drive onto Arcola going east. I counted 6 semis on Arcola headed west bound just during through the intersection. One of them even got stuck in the intersection because it was so backed up and couldn't get through the light.

Only going to get worse I think. Can only imagine what winter driving will bring.
Was on Ring Road today around 12:30pm. Traffic turning onto Ring Road (south) was backed-up as far as I could see... easily half of the vehicles were semis.

They should probably get some new signs up ASAP... truckers clearly aren’t seeing the ones telling them to take Victoria.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 9:16 PM

I fail to see what the point was of opening the bypass at all, other than the optics of showing some progress.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 12:58 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Was on Ring Road today around 12:30pm. Traffic turning onto Ring Road (south) was backed-up as far as I could see... easily half of the vehicles were semis.

They should probably get some new signs up ASAP... truckers clearly aren’t seeing the ones telling them to take Victoria.
I was taking Arcola TOWARD the East end on Saturday and yeah... The traffic was pretty much lined up bumper to bumper all the way from Ring Road to Prince of Wales. Crazy.

Taking Vic back toward downtown was a breeze afterward though...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
I fail to see what the point was of opening the bypass at all, other than the optics of showing some progress.
I guess with Tower Road closed it gives people in the SE route to Highway 1 East, but I know what you mean. This morning I counted 20 westbound semis on Arcola between PoW and RR and I probably could not see them all. Traffic was not moving at all. I detoured to Vic.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 3:50 PM

Quote:
I guess with Tower Road closed it gives people in the SE route to Highway 1 East, but I know what you mean. This morning I counted 20 westbound semis on Arcola between PoW and RR and I probably could not see them all. Traffic was not moving at all. I detoured to Vic.
I've been checking Google maps to see what traffic's like in that stretch of Arcola - and it's been red (typically the darkest shade) every time I've checked (weekday morning; Sunday afternoon; wee hours of the morning (2am-ish?)) essentially from POW to Ring Road westbound.

Full disclosure - I didn't check Google Maps before Bypass Phase 1 opened, so I don't have a reference point. I know Arcola's been bad for years at rush hour, and at a few other peaks during the day, but this seems different... dark red on Sunday at 8pm/the only significant stretch of red in the entire city?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 3:56 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Traffic was reduced to one lane west-bound on Arcola this morning, plus the west-side signal on the bridge was in flashing four-way mode because, my guess, a tractor-trailer making the left turn back onto Ring Road from Arcola clipped a traffic signal light. The signal light was lying down in the snow, still with power. It looked like it happened recently as I pushed my bicycle past it on the uncleared sidewalk.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 4:04 PM

Worst traffic I've ever seen on Arcola

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 4:38 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Wow. No bias there, none at all.

Sketchy deals need to be investigated - but walking into a story with a predetermined outcome? ugh.

I like how the Jstudent implied the City/Mayor/Councillors/whoever influenced the location... then cut to the Mayor saying he & council said numerous times that they didn't care where the Bypass was built - only that it go built.... and then faded ominously to black & white. Perfect - you've now got the Mayor/Council on the ropes - explicitly saying they don't care where the Bypass goes... come in with your knock-out punch: proof that they influenced the location (maybe even proof that they personally stand to gain from the location).

...what's that? you've got nothing? [sigh]

Thankfully Geoff Leo is still around.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 5:52 PM

The Bypass was 99% the province with essentially no say from any of the municipalities

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Thankfully Geoff Leo is still around.
Speak of the devil...
CBC Investigates: Tenants of Chinese megamall at GTH don't have to hire Canadians

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Is this the same project that was originally slated to go up south of Saskatoon? It's going up outside Regina now? Has construction started?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is this the same project that was originally slated to go up south of Saskatoon? It's going up outside Regina now? Has construction started?
yes, yes and yes

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 7:16 PM

^ Wow, I can't believe it's actually happening. The Dundurn iteration of the project seemed so far-fetched.

Is there a project overview online somewhere? The Brightenview website doesn't have any detail that I can find.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Wow, I can't believe it's actually happening. The Dundurn iteration of the project seemed so far-fetched.

Is there a project overview online somewhere? The Brightenview website doesn't have any detail that I can find.
Not really. Their website is mostly out of date. The steel is up.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 8:13 PM

I really wish they would stop calling this a "megamall" in the media. It's nowhere near an accurate description. But they kept making the same mistake with the Dundurn proposal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan