HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 6:17 PM

^ On a somewhat related note, the newly redone streets around Notre Dame and Garry look amazing now. The sidewalks, the curbs, the street itself... what a great job. Fort and Donald have been improved within the last couple years too. A lot of downtown streets are actually starting to look good now.

It would be nice to see the sidewalks along the Fortune Block on Main redone soon... the 80s interlocking brick looks tired and worn out next to that beautifully restored building.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ On a somewhat related note, the newly redone streets around Notre Dame and Garry look amazing now. The sidewalks, the curbs, the street itself... what a great job. Fort and Donald have been improved within the last couple years too. A lot of downtown streets are actually starting to look good now.

It would be nice to see the sidewalks along the Fortune Block on Main redone soon... the 80s interlocking brick looks tired and worn out next to that beautifully restored building.
and the broken up median with the cemented in stones. there was a smashed up set of the old-school speckled stone flower pots pretty much all summer sitting there too. SMH!!!

As well, if you are so inclined to observe along south Main St. from Union Station to the bridge, you will see the city has used what seems like every decorative head in their collection on the poles around there in a completely haphazard fashion like it's a joke (it's my walk to work so I notice every time they install a new fixture lol).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
and the broken up median with the cemented in stones. there was a smashed up set of the old-school speckled stone flower pots pretty much all summer sitting there too. SMH!!!

As well, if you are so inclined to observe along south Main St. from Union Station to the bridge, you will see the city has used what seems like every decorative head in their collection on the poles around there in a completely haphazard fashion like it's a joke (it's my walk to work so I notice every time they install a new fixture lol).
Main from Portage north to around Higgins was completely redone around 2001 or so, and everything was standardized at that point. However, Main south of Portage really hasn't been touched in a comprehensive way my lifetime. So we have this total hodgepodge of 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s elements that came from whenever they fixed up a 100 m stretch every once in a while.

It's pretty lousy and with the things happening along south Main (300 Main, Fortune Block, possible Earls/VIA Rail site redevelopment, UFG Park), it would be nice to see it get some attention too.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Good to see! Hopefully Carlton is rebuilt in the next few years.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 6:15 PM
BANNED

BomberJet

"Regarding the tall grass prairie. Yes it was public outcry. The City then sold off all the land from regent southward to Plessis.

Then during the most recent developments, they allowed the Ravelston corridor from ESP east to near Plessis be used for residences.

They can use Bradley to get besides the tall grass. Then down regent to Plessis and south through the underpass. there is a plan to use the golf course lands as the roadway until getting to Fermor. From there, who knows."

Don't know if the CPT extension made sense going through what is the tall grass prairie reserve anyway seems to me the CPT trail extension should have gone further east.

What's puzzling in the NE is why the city didn't insist on a roundabout at Peguis and Transcona Boulevard especially when the roads were shut down to all traffic for an extended period of time.

Still puzzled at the plans for the Peguis, Concordia, Devonshire areas and where a more regional four lane roadway will go through between Lag. and Plessis. All the roadwork seems piecemeal in the area.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 6:57 PM

Good job moving to appropriate thread haha.

CPT will extend eastward from Lag following Cordite drain. When it gets to Gunn, CPT will go along the south side where those houses are from Day to 101 and across floodway at some point.

Ed Schreyer Parkway would split off from CPT east of harbor View and was supposed to head all the way south and connect with Bishop.

There's a secondary map showing the roads. I'll see if I can find it. But Lag creates a barrier that results in the seemingly disconnected road network.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 7:02 PM

Its here on page 31 of the PDF. Doesn't show Chief extending eastward, but I believe that's still the plan.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/docu...6/2006.215.pdf

For the most part everything there is still current except the roundabouts. They're traffic signals.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 7:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Its here on page 31 of the PDF. Doesn't show Chief extending eastward, but I believe that's still the plan.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/docu...6/2006.215.pdf

For the most part everything there is still current except the roundabouts. They're traffic signals.

Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 7:49 PM

I'm curious, what's the reasoning behind making an expressway that ends at Regent? There's no way to extend it further south of Regent. Wouldn't it make more sense to have Plessis as the major thoroughfare? It goes all the way south to Fermor.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 8:03 PM
There is always a way

Well if you look at Google maps the alignment of cpt at lag is favourable to just make lag the expressway. I'm not sure why they dont just do that and then upgrade lag accordingly.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 8:03 PM

^ Plessis is pretty built up.

It is hilarious how the city just couldn't ruining the ROW that existed between the CP line and the CN line. As we discussed earlier today in the context of the former CN line in River Heights being sold off right away, they have no self restraint when it comes to rights of way.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG922 View Post
I'm curious, what's the reasoning behind making an expressway that ends at Regent? There's no way to extend it further south of Regent. Wouldn't it make more sense to have Plessis as the major thoroughfare? It goes all the way south to Fermor.
Once the expressway hits Regent, the traffic will have to filter south down Plessis anyways to stretch that’s only 50km/hr...I would hate to see the cost for a relatively short segment of expressway from CPT to Regent when there are 4 streets it must cross, plus 2 sets of rail line including a busy CPR line. Or in typical Winnipeg fashion they’ll put up lights and at grade crossings for each intersection to negate any speed, but still somehow blow tons of $ doing it

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
They'll have to go down regent to Plessis and head south. City can't help but messing it up lol

ESP will be the same old shit. 4 lane road with traffic lights. Which is probably fine there medium to long term. Spend the money upgrading Lag.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They'll have to go down regent to Plessis and head south. City can't help but messing it up lol

ESP will be the same old shit. 4 lane road with traffic lights. Which is probably fine there medium to long term. Spend the money upgrading Lag.
Exactly! Traffic will jog over the short stretch from ESP to Plessis to keep going south. Ridiculous.

If you started driving at the intersection of CPT and Lag and wanted to go south, it would make more sense just going down Lag. Figure out how to improve (get rid of) the lights at Reenders and/or Almey, and it's already faster.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 5:59 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Exactly! Traffic will jog over the short stretch from ESP to Plessis to keep going south. Ridiculous.

If you started driving at the intersection of CPT and Lag and wanted to go south, it would make more sense just going down Lag. Figure out how to improve (get rid of) the lights at Reenders and/or Almey, and it's already faster.
Exactly. Instead of building a whole new road you essentially just have to build a simple flyover from lag nb to cpt wb and then associated ramps. Cut off access from all the little annoying streets and fix the whole regent to marion debacle and you're well on your way to having a half functional freeway. The most expensive bit would be between almey and marion and then the fermor corner then it would just be a matter of making the necessary connections at bishop. Anyways I realize this would be pricey but I think it's the best option at this point.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 6:12 AM
There is always a way

Also just had this thought. We have seriously backed ourselves into an infrastructure corner over the years to the point where its gonna be a hard slog to get anything done properly. My suggestion is that we take the roads that are already established and upgrade those wherever possible. Like lag and bishop etc. You could seriously improve traffic flows around town if either of those were built to the standards they should be. Access downtown should be taken care of with proper mass transit in my opinion. Apart from that it isn't really clear that theres many more smart alternatives. Maybe work on eliminating rail at grade crossings and improve the road network around the airport. I honestly believe that these improvements though costly would be an immense benefit and would prove to be the right choice if we got it done soon. The province and feds would need to step up to the plate big time but where theres a will theres a way.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 1:46 PM

^yup. It would make a lot more sense to upgrade our already established major corridors to proper standards than to build more half-assed roads that don’t move people any faster, just move them a diffferent way.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:26 PM

It's not really a regent to Marion thing. ESP was supposed to serve Transcona, not get people to Marion. Lag does not serve Transcona. But I get it, there's 2 supposed to be freeways fairly close together. Not the most efficient in Winnipeg when we could use that money and upgrade something else, such as Lag.

I wonder if any developer agreements have them build ESP or if it's purely up to the city. Likely the latter, meaning it won't happen anytime soon. So no need to worry haha.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 9:05 PM
BANNED

Esp?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Esp?
ed Schreyer parkway

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan